Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband without landline options?

• 23-07-2011 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have a land-line and broadband package with Eircom.

I'm looking to save some money and want to know about people's experiences of mobile broadband packages.

In a nutshell, I want to get something as good as Eircom broadband (if possible) but without having to pay for landline rental.

I'd also appreciate hearing reasons why people think I should stay with Eircom so that I get a blanced view.

Boobar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am waiting to get BB via a phoneline, and have had a couple of those little dongles out on trial and to be honest they are not BB but midband.

You will simply not get speeds and reliability of service like you would with a phone line.

I had decent speeds of around 1.5 - 2meg at times but also had spells, during the peak times, slower than dial-up from 10yrs ago, and often had no service at all for hours on end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

boobar wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to save some money and want to know about people's experiences of mobile broadband packages.

Mobile midband is so hit and miss, one day good speeds the next no connection. I'd highly recommend you stay with fixed line broadband if you need stability and a reliable connection.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

boobar wrote: »
    Hi,

I currently have a land-line and broadband package with Eircom.

In a nutshell, I want to get something as good as Eircom broadband (if possible) but without having to pay for landline rental.

I'd also appreciate hearing reasons why people think I should stay with Eircom so that I get a blanced view.

Boobar
    Digiweb metro is good . Irish broadband have a few offerings too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Satellite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

NIMAN wrote: »
    Satellite?

No.

Cable or fixed wireless. Failing that, look at the other DSL operators for cheaper options than eircom. Vodafone, Magnet, Smart, UTV, etc mostly do the same thing for less money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Thanks for the replies folks,

Have weighed everything up and decided to stick with Eircom fixed landline.

Advertisement