Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1year old birthday ideas

Options
  • 23-07-2011 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

so my son turns 1 next month and I have no idea what to do regarding birthday party
    my partner is from cork so all his family will be heading up and then we have my lot coming too and tbh my place is just not big enough for that many people
    it will be mostly adults with about 10 kids
    any ideas and what to do panic is starting to kick in as hotels have been booked by his mam and sisters and im on the verge of doing a bunk abroad :o

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That sounds like my idea of a nightmare!!
    Have you got a garden? could you have a bbq or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

Way too much pressure!! How did you walk yourself into that one?
    A bouncy castle for the kids is a must ... Keep the little monsters occupied!
    I had a party once and overlooked the castle... Never again!! Good luck

Happy birthday to your little one (congrats to you for surviving the first year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

wish i had a garden but unfortunately no i don't so bouncy castle is out....however there is an communal outside space so i could get bouncy castle there??
    was hoping to have it somewhere that way everyone is not in my place allllllllllllllllll day and i have an escape route hehehe suppose its only one day could suck it up and just deal with it

oh and got myself trapped in that as his family celebrate the opening of an envelope so it was never a question of them not coming however i have it to immediate family only if they had their way cousins, aunts and all the twice removed members would be there too :eek: so have dodged a major bullet by not living in cork for now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh god you poor thing :\ I'm not sure about the bouncy castle in the communal area, you might get complaints or the management company might object to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

First of all, don't put yourself under too much pressure (than you already have that is :D ) But parents of kids are usually pretty good at kids parties. They understand the pressure you're under and usually take a step back and let you get on with things, so you don't have to look after them so much. I say 'usually' alot because of course there's always one who's more demanding than the kids :D

Separate it between yourself and your o/h...one of you look after the parents and the other look after the kids. If you go to Woodies, or any party shop you should be able to get a couple of Pin the Tale on the Donkey games, and a Pinata (sp), or you could make them yourself if you like. Maybe a hoop/ring toss game as well. Take each game out one at a time. If you take them all out at the same time, they'll jump on them all and be bored with them after 5 mins :D The day you plan, will never move according to that plan, but try to have about 3 or 4 games for the kids.

Generally I found that the older kids, no matter what their age always end up playing with the one year olds toys anyway :rolleyes::D Mind you, my son is only 2 so I've only ever had 2 parties to run, we put the adults in one room, where we serve the tea/coffee, lemonade and sweeties and the sitting room is where the kids usually hang out.

Hope you enjoy it...*looks for a nervous smiley ;) * :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

at 1 your child proabably won't know whats going on. we recently had our 2 years old party,

we laid out the table with chocolate bars (mini ones), jellies, crisps/pretzels and dips, cakes...etc and got a birthday cake.

drinks we had fizzys coffee and tea and water, the adults all had coffees and teas and stood around talking.

for the children aged 2-5 we had colouring books and crayons we picked up cheap in tescos, and bubbles from the poundshop, and they ended up playing with all the 2 year olds birthday toys!

either way they all had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I had a party for my daughter when she turned 1 in January and it was a big affair! Family and friends flew over from the UK as well as friends and family from here. It was really cold so couldn't really do anything outside.

Our apartment is fairly small so we had the party in my in-laws. I bought decorations and balloons in Woodies. I had to organise a cake. I pretty much did all the food myself. My dad took charge of party games for the bigger kids and organised prizes and a pass the parcel.

Then there was the clean up operation after...

There was a lot of organising and I found it quite stressful. Everyone enjoyed themselves though and I was pleased with how the party went. However, thas the first and last party I will be throwing! In future we'll be taking advantage of places that do kids parties. Is there anywhere close to you that does parties? Maybe a petting farm or an indoor jungle gym type place? Or if you really want to throw your own party is there a local hall or something that you could hire?

You're little fella won't remember the party, but I know how much of a big event it is for us first time parents!

Advertisement