Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The success of unfunny comedians- a new trend

Options
  • 23-07-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

I've noticed lately that a lot of unfunny, bland comedians can be quite successful.
    I'm thinking of the likes of Jason Manford, John Bishop, Russell Howard.
    I'm left wondering what the fcuk?
    Before anyone jumps down my throat, it's only my opinion but it's definitely something i've noticed lately.

Standup used to be about funny weirdos poking fun at the establishment.
    But i can't shake the feeling these guys are the establishment with their good looks, comfortable lives and, let's be honest, inane takes on stuff.

Is this the McIntyrisation of comedy.
    (actually Mickey Mac isn't the worst and some of his routines have made me laugh at times) but have successful comedians become safe and mainstream.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I've noticed lately that a lot of unfunny, bland comedians can be quite successful.
    I'm thinking of the likes of Jason Manford, John Bishop, Russell Howard.
    I'm left wondering what the fcuk?
    Before anyone jumps down my throat, it's only my opinion but it's definitely something i've noticed lately.

Standup used to be about funny weirdos poking fun at the establishment.
    But i can't shake the feeling these guys are the establishment with their good looks, comfortable lives and, let's be honest, inane takes on stuff.

Is this the McIntyrisation of comedy.
    (actually Mickey Mac isn't the worst and some of his routines have made me laugh at times) but have successful comedians become safe and mainstream.
    It's all about opinion. For example I would say Jason Manford and John Bishop are two of the best comedians in entertainment today and I can't stand that squint eyed git McIntyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You just don't get them, humour is subjective, to be honest I'd be worried about you if you liked every stand up comic there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Could we add Tim Minchin onto that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

There's definitely more comedians that I think are unfunny than funny. Way more. Like 9 out of every 10 are useless. I can't understand how anyone finds them funny.

I was at Tommy Tiernan's show couple weeks ago and a guy called Gerry Mallon was supporting him. He was awful. Really really unfunny but there was some people laughing. Some people will laugh at anything. Sometimes I think they're forcing themselves to laugh because they want to get value for money.

But it is about opinion and I suppose there is enough people in the world that it only takes like 0.1% of people to think someone is funny to make them successful. There's no accounting for taste.

.... have successful comedians become safe and mainstream.

Not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You do see a lot of these bland comedians on even blander tv shows like Mock the Week and 8 out of 10 Cats.

QI is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You just don't get them, humour is subjective, to be honest I'd be worried about you if you liked every stand up comic there is.

Couldn't agree more.
    There's very few comedians more or less universally panned, for every comedian I think is talentless I could probably find a rake of people who think he/she's hilarious.

I think Lee Evans is massively unfunny yet he sells out arenas every tour. I hear people go on about how John Bishop or Michael McIntyre are awful and I find them absolutely hysterical at times. It all falls into what sort of comedy you get off on.

Personally I hate everything Jason Byrne does, but there's something about him that gets people in the doors. I wouldn't say his fans are clueless, they just clearly get something out of his show that I don't get.
    You do see a lot of these bland comedians on even blander tv shows like Mock the Week and 8 out of 10 Cats.

QI is good.

It's impossible to rate a comedian I think, based on a panel show. They're generally there to make a dozen or so jokes that appeal to the mass audience. I've seen guys who I found abysmal on panel shows do warm-up on gigs and found them hysterical. And vice-versa I've seen masters of the panel show do gigs and be absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

It's impossible to rate a comedian I think, based on a panel show. They're generally there to make a dozen or so jokes that appeal to the mass audience. I've seen guys who I found abysmal on panel shows do warm-up on gigs and found them hysterical. And vice-versa I've seen masters of the panel show do gigs and be absolutely brutal.

I'm not knocking the comedian based on what they do on these panel shows, but from their performances doing stand up. I just think they are extremely fortunate to have the luxury of a weekly vehicle to show off their comedy skills.

I think RTE's The Panel is absolute tripe and I'm not a fan of Delamere, Maxwell, Murphy et al on the stage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I'm not knocking the comedian based on what they do on these panel shows, but from their performances doing stand up. I just think they are extremely fortunate to have the luxury of a weekly vehicle to show off their comedy skills.

I think RTE's The Panel is absolute tripe and I'm not a fan of Delamere, Maxwell, Murphy et al on the stage either.
    To be fair I think comedians need that vehicle since compared to other forms of entertainment they have very little else to promote their trade. Musicians have the radio, actors have the ability to perform their skills in association with well known channels, directors etc.

Advertisement