Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why where ALL headshops products banned?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I took some party pills from a headshop before, apparently they are the same as extasy. I got more sociable and talked to people who I normally wouldn't talk to. I later found out they are/almost very are the exact same as extacy only stronger. (I never once got drugs from a dealer, but I heard from a classmate extacy pills are very weak compared to before)

TBH I got a bit of a buzz alright, but that is all. I took 2 tablets around 6 months apart, they are not something that would "destroy lives". They are far from addictive, and they give you "something" that is different from having to intake Alcohol. There was no big withdrawals or anything, I am shocked TBH that they were banned, "The 2nd coming of Satan" they were portrayed as.

And TBH a lot of peoples sole argument for banning them is "people take them with other stuff and that is very bad". Well if people drank alcohol with paracetamol, anti-depressants, or the vast majority of medications then alcohol would be banned due to the casualties from mixing alcohol with these medications. The critics "they're fine by themselves, but terrible when mixed with "some other stuff", ban it all. We can't have our society being destroyed by these wretchets".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Putting dealers out of business.
    Snobs children where taking them.

Do the snobs and media care when a junkie dies...no...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Drugs legal or no are not the monster under the bed the media would portrya them as.
    Used correctly and not abused most drugs are about as harmful as alcohol which is pretty harmful. But its not for some politician or corporate police man to tell me what to do with my body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

See, the topic of headshops is a varied argument. With lots of points made.

For me, I dont do drugs. But if some person wants to ... its their choice. Their life. I dont have an issue. But i've never actually thought of the whole headshop debate before (obviously not being interested in it)

So look at the pros and cons.

pros:
    - Allows people to buy and take what they want. we are all adults after all. Sure as long as "over 18s" is enforced. A persons choice.

cons:
    - We are making drug dealers legit.
    - Alot of negitives can come from this, people can legally be spaced out of their head. Which in turn could increase crime and violence.

Im sure there are other things... its not so straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

CorkMan wrote: »
    I took some party pills from a headshop before, apparently they are the same as extasy. I got more sociable and talked to people who I normally wouldn't talk to. I later found out they are/almost very are the exact same as extacy only stronger. (I never once got drugs from a dealer, but I heard from a classmate extacy pills are very weak compared to before)

TBH I got a bit of a buzz alright, but that is all. I took 2 tablets around 6 months apart, they are not something that would "destroy lives". They are far from addictive, and they give you "something" that is different from having to intake Alcohol. There was no big withdrawals or anything, I am shocked TBH that they were banned, "The 2nd coming of Satan" they were portrayed as.

And TBH a lot of peoples sole argument for banning them is "people take them with other stuff and that is very bad". Well if people drank alcohol with paracetamol, anti-depressants, or the vast majority of medications then alcohol would be banned due to the casualties from mixing alcohol with these medications. The critics "they're fine by themselves, but terrible when mixed with "some other stuff", ban it all. We can't have our society being destroyed by these wretchets".

Daaaayyyycent chats are way better than the stuff you used to get in the headshops. Also the more often you take it the worse the comedown same as anything, first times a freebie in this regard. Can you still get salvia or did they ban that too? That stuff is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

LighterGuy wrote: »
    We are making drug dealers legit.
    How? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Do the snobs and media care when a junkie dies...no...[/QUOTE]

Winehouse is all over the news at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

TBH I wouldn't ever want Heroin/Crack/Crystal Meth to be legalised, but they are in a different galaxy compared to the likes of weed, extacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

BOHtox wrote: »

Do the snobs and media care when a junkie dies...no...[/QUOTE]

Winehouse is all over the news at the moment!

But she was a rich and famous junkie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Because headshops would kill you and everyone you care about given half the chance.......

Forst it would be a brick to the head, then two bricks and then the whole fcukin shop lands on you!!!

:eek:

Or scaremongering

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

There was serious money to be made in it,famous case of €500,000 found in safe of shop that was burnt down-

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/firefighters-find-8364500000-in-head-shop-safe-2062798.html
    Almost €500,000 in cash was discovered in a safe by Dublin Fire Brigade in the debris of a burnt-down Capel Street 'head shop', according to garda sources.

It is thought the cash was discovered in a basement of the building which was partly demolished after fire raged through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Drugs legal or no are not the monster under the bed the media would portrya them as.
    Used correctly and not abused most drugs are about as harmful as alcohol which is pretty harmful. But its not for some politician or corporate police man to tell me what to do with my body.

I would agree with a lot of this, but, unfortunately, some dealers, cut their gear with stuff that is at best harmful, and at worst lethal to humans.

Friends of mine have died, from 'drug related injuries' when to be honest, they didnt die from the drugs, they died from poor quality control on what they took.

Some people like drugs. Some dont. Trying to get to a situation where no-one takes drugs is, like the war on drugs, a waste of time and money.

To be honest, if everyone adopted a mature attitude , they could give many drugs away for free for a lot less than they spend on drug prevention, and it would take money out of the pockets of other criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Used correctly and not abused most drugs are about as harmful as alcohol which is pretty harmful.

I'll challenge you on this one!!! With respect to most drugs, (in the context we're talking about, as well as in the larger sphere), alcohol is much more harmful.

GAAman wrote: »
    Because headshops would kill you and everyone you care about given half the chance.......

Forst it would be a brick to the head, then two bricks and then the whole fcukin shop lands on you!!!

:eek:

Or scaremongering

:rolleyes:

Headshops killed my father...and raped my mother:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Our Government has always been, and will always be, very emotionally reactive.

Just look at the current call to shut down remote access to voicemail because some hacking occurred in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm glad they were shut down, and I'm pretty feckin liberal when it comes to ones freedom to choose what they put in their bodies.

The stuff sold in headshops is designed to get through various legal loopholes in laws that shouldn't really exist in the first place, not to ensure that the drug is as safe and effective as it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

pros:
    - Allows people to buy and take what they want. we are all adults after all. Sure as long as "over 18s" is enforced. A persons choice.

cons:
    - Alot of negitives can come from this, people can legally be spaced out of their head. Which in turn could increase crime and violence.

Im sure there are other things... its not so straight forward.
    As for making drug dealers legit (would you consider a publican a drug dealer, how about Mary down the corner shop who sells fags?) this is a positive since it takes the money out of the hands of scumbags who murder for market share. Headshops were hurting the scummers so they actively harnessed the owners which shows how effective they were in disrupting the illegal drug trade.

It's ironic that the Joe Duffy brigade and the illegal dealers were on the same side in this fight :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

RTE basically brought about the political swing that saw the closing of headshops in Ireland... and the whole campaign was spearheaded by Joe Duffy & his horde of idiots - mostly uneducated dimwits from Dublin's working classes.

"Ah Joe... think of de childerins Joe"

I'm glad they were shut down, and I'm pretty feckin liberal when it comes to ones freedom to choose what they put in their bodies.

The stuff sold in headshops is designed to get through various legal loopholes in laws that shouldn't really exist in the first place, not to ensure that the drug is as safe and effective as it should be.

Pretty much, i'd much rather people take something that has been around for a long time than something just out of a ****ty lab in Asia somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

apparently they are the same as extasy.
    I later found out they are/almost very are the exact same as extacy only stronger.
    That's bollocks.

Look, the only people who thing legal highs are the same as MDMA are people who have never done MDMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

That's why they should have been legislated for, rather than banned. Banning headshops solved no problems - just shoved those problems under the rug.

How? :confused:

:pac:
    Ok. A head shop was a legal business. Before they got banned. Paying tax, employing people etc etc. Many headshops (not all) where owned / unofficially run by drug dealers. Think of it this way, why sell hash, coke etc illegally running the risk of going down when you can do it in a headshop legally. (of course it was herbal hash etc)

Some "shady characters" (drug dealers) invested money into creating these shops.

Problem for them was it got the attention of other shady drug dealers who had an "issue" with people choosing these shops over their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Because Its terrible, Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Don't agree, the stuff in the headshops was muck for sure but it's not my place, or anyone elses for that matter, to tell another adult what they can and cannot put into their own bodies.

I would ensure that the owners of the shops fully informed the customers concerning the health risks (or complete lack of knowledge of such) and then let them make up their own minds.

Look, the only people who thing legal highs are the same as MDMA are people who have never done MDMA.

Mushrooms were the only thing in the headshops that were really that good and long lasting. Great way to spend a Sunday they were. Actually now that I mention it I think it's getting to that time of year...:)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cons:

I don't see how being high would increase crime and violence. The only drug I've ever seen make people violent is alcohol.

mackg wrote: »
    Mushrooms were the only thing in the headshops that were really that good and long lasting. Great way to spend a Sunday they were. Actually now that I mention it I think it's getting to that time of year...:)

I was at a festival in the UK and i ran into this dude who had made his own caps with a mixture of MDMA and ground up mushrooms in them. I bought a few off him and waited till i was back in Ireland a few weeks and did them.

Best thing ever i have to say...that dude really new his **** and the ratio's of both we absolutely perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I was at a festival in the UK and i ran into this dude who had made his own caps with a mixture of MDMA and ground up mushrooms in them.

That's nothing - I make all my own clothes, including shoes & boots from a mixture of heroin, speed & ground up coffee beans.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't see how being high would increase crime and violence. The only drug I've ever seen make people violent is alcohol.

for the record i am up for letting a person choosing to take drugs or not. their choice. I stand by it. Im just talking about another sides argument.

But as you say, alcohol? well ... it does. Not in everyone tho. Same as drugs I guess. Its just there is a stigma with heavy drugs ... people stealing etc. Obviously the government doesnt want to make legal a herbal version out of fears of the same outcome.

• Advertisement

That's nothing - I make all my own clothes, including shoes & boots from a mixture of heroin, speed & ground up coffee beans.

Can't see that mixture making a superior boot...sound like the kind of thing that would fall apart in the rain.

Do you use a kind of varnish on them?

Advertisement