Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay €240 ($349.99) for 1GB broadband.

• 24-07-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Just saw this American utility company offer a 1GB broadband connection for €240 ($349.99). I would jump at the chance to have this connection at home.

https://epbfi.com/you-pick/#/

Just wondering how much it would cost Eircom to replace all their copper wiring with fiber to the home?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DonJose wrote: »
    Just saw this American utility company offer a 1GB broadband connection for €240 ($349.99). I would jump at the chance to have this connection at home.

https://epbfi.com/you-pick/#/

Just wondering how much it would cost Eircom to replace all their copper wiring with fiber to the home?

You'd go blind;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

€240 a month? So you can access web pages in 1/1000th of a second instead of 1/100th? Eh no thanks, i'll stay on the good old 25mb thanks! :pac:

In fairness though, for home use this is pretty over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

B0X wrote: »
    €240 a month? So you can access web pages in 1/1000th of a second instead of 1/100th? Eh no thanks, i'll stay on the good old 25mb thanks! :pac:

In fairness though, for home use this is pretty over the top.

You could download a movie in seconds or a blu ray in less than a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

And that's worth €240 a month to you? Each to their own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No you couldn't.

Even the best of servers and the best torrents would max out at around 100Mb/s for a single user.

The main attraction in this IMO is the 1Gb upload speed. Now that sounds tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Personally I wouldn’t pay €240 a month for any download speed, but for some it will be worth it.

I remember reading sometime ago that instantaneous download speeds will one day be the norm. It seems we’re heading that way sooner than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Piff Yeah, did you read the T & C's ?

10 Gig download cap :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Big Lar wrote: »

10 seconds use? just enough time for what i'd want to do with it i think. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Big Lar wrote: »

Are you sure that's not 10GB of free storage?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Well on average it is 34GB for a full 1080P blu-ray. 1000GBS is 80MB a second down, so in 10 second sec 800MB of data. 100 seconds 8GB, so i'd say 420 seconds to get a full Blu-Ray movies, 7 minutes, 34GB in size; not bad.

But as was said, that is if you can get 80MB of data a second. Plus not to mention if 10GB if your limit for the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Anan1 wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not 10GB of free storage?;)
    i'd assumed he was taking the michael? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

CorkMan wrote: »
    Well on average it is 34GB for a full 1080P blu-ray. 1000GBS is 80MB a second down, so in 10 second sec 800MB of data. 100 seconds 8GB, so i'd say 420 seconds to get a full Blu-Ray movies, 7 minutes, 34GB in size; not bad.

But as was said, that is if you can get 80MB of data a second. Plus not to mention if 10GB if your limit for the month.

Would it not be more like 125MB/s speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Eh, no I wouldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I currently run on 100MB, was on 60MB before; honestly I could not care less about 1 GB connction at that price as it is a waste of time. Most things I want to download either have a ton of people (goes in a few min) or there are very few people and a 10MB line would suffice; I rarely cap the current line as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Unless I was hosting( getting paid to host ) multiple websites I wouldn't see the need. To be honest 100mbps is overkill really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

240euro a month is nearly 3 grand a year :eek: I think I'll just wait the extra few minutes to download whatever and save myself a good 2 grand a year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Hdd write speed ?
    You would need a biiig ssd or a very fast raid & controller to even keep up.

Or so I would imagine.
    Never thought I would say it when I had dialup but 100mb is enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

digiman wrote: »
    Would it not be more like 125MB/s speed?
    Yup it would indeed. Also HD movies from Apple are all under 4GB at the moment but full HD movies would be considerably larger. The main point really though is that 100MB/s will see you make the most of any current multimedia sites currently available that said the more bandwidth we can get the more ways we finbd to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Virgin Media are now testing 1.5Gbps

With a 150Mbps upload!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TechnoKid

Ricky91t wrote: »

I wonder how much that would cost....? :)

• Advertisement

No thanks, 100mb will do me forever.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    No thanks, 100mb will do me forever.

Wait a few years.... :P When 1080p streaming is the standard, UHDT streaming will take hours.

TechnoKid wrote: »
    Wait a few years.... :P When 1080p streaming is the standard, UHDT streaming will take hours.

I have a 600 + collection of Blu Rays and growing, 1080p streaming means **** all to me.:p

RVP 11 wrote: »
    I have a 600 + collection of Blu Rays and growing, 1080p streaming means **** all to me.:p
    LOL :D Blu-Ray is the last physical platform, Everything will be streaming after that. So, blu-Ray discs will mean crap in a few years :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

LOL :D Blu-Ray is the last physical platform, Everything will be streaming after that. So, blu-Ray discs will mean crap in a few years :p
    Doubt it, most people still like to have physical items.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

subway wrote: »
    Hdd write speed ?
    You would need a biiig ssd or a very fast raid & controller to even keep up.

Or so I would imagine.
    Never thought I would say it when I had dialup but 100mb is enough for me

Exactly! Most Pc's wouldn't be able to write fast enough. I've seen this in work were we have 2 x 1gb links and some of the older servers aren't up to it and their disks are a lot faster.

Johnmb wrote: »

Look at nexflix, pirating, YouTube, etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Johnmb wrote: »

Yes, that's why HMV & Xtravision are in deep trouble!

I think only people who are not techy savvy still buy actual disks.

I haven't bought a cd/DVD in about 10 years and can't envisage ever buying one again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

I,m on eircom, I'v 0.76 MB, although i signed up for next generation 8mb,
    liars
    i'v not even 1mb, lame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Look at nexflix, pirating, YouTube, etc.....
    Yeah, look at them. Still not making as much money as DVD/Blu Ray sales.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, that's why HMV & Xtravision are in deep trouble!
    Play.com, amazon.com, etc are the cause of that, not downloading.
    I think only people who are not techy savvy still buy actual disks.
    You think wrong. Most people still like the feeling of owning something physical, and most people would rather give something as a gift rather than email a link.
    I haven't bought a cd/DVD in about 10 years and can't envisage ever buying one again!
    Good for you. You've have just proven you are far from being a typical user. 10 years ago dvds were the only real choice for legally viewing movies at home (not counting the remnants of VHS).

Advertisement