Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse and trap on roads around Laytown, Bettystown

Options
  • 24-07-2011 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey does anyone know the guy going round Bettystown and Laytown. I know he lives neat Sonarte. If anyone knows him. Will you PLEASE tell him to put some lights on his buggy (He is legally obligation) and to start using HAND SIGNALS. I'm getting really really feed up with him, and I'll be reporting him to the police. If he doesn't start respecting other road users. Hand Signals and Lights please. It's for his safety as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

It's not against the law not to have lights on a trap/sulkie, it's not a mechanically propelled vehicle.
    My advice to you, have some patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

Actually it is, the road traffic lighting of vehicles act 1963 states

30 (b) while carrying a load (other than loose agricultura1 produce not baled or crated) projecting more than 3 feet and 6 inches to the rear of the vehicle, one lamp, showing a red light to the rear visible for a reason able distance, and so fitted that no part of the load projects more than 3 feet and 6 inches to the rear of that lamp.

And for the safety of both himself and other road users he needs to start using hand signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Mr_Hat wrote: »
    Actually it is, the road traffic lighting of vehicles act 1963 states

30 (b) while carrying a load (other than loose agricultura1 produce not baled or crated) projecting more than 3 feet and 6 inches to the rear of the vehicle, one lamp, showing a red light to the rear visible for a reason able distance, and so fitted that no part of the load projects more than 3 feet and 6 inches to the rear of that lamp.

And for the safety of both himself and other road users he needs to start using hand signals.

But its not a vehicle

Animal-drawn vehicles.
    30. (1) Every animal-drawn vehicle (or vehicle constructed or adapted for use as an animal-drawn vehicle) shall, while used in a public place during lighting-up hours, be equipped with and show duly lit—

(a) (i) one lamp, as near as possible to the right side of the vehicle, showing to the front a white or yellow light visible for a reasonable distance,

(ii) one lamp, to the right of the centre line of the vehicle and as near as possible to the side, showing a red light to the rear visible for a reasonable distance, and

(b) while carrying a load (other than loose agricultura1 produce not baled or crated) projecting more than 3 feet and 6 inches to the rear of the vehicle, one lamp, showing a red light to the rear visible for a reason able distance, and so fitted that no part of the load projects more than 3 feet and 6 inches to the rear of that lamp.

(2) Where an animal-drawn vehicle with another vehicle attached (hereinafter in this sub-article referred to as the second vehicle) is used in a public place during lighting-up hours, the provisions of sub-article (1) of this article shall apply severally to the vehicle and the second vehicle subject, in a case where the distance between the vehicles is less than 5 feet, to the following modifications:

(a) the requirement as to showing a white or yellow light to the front shall not apply to the second vehicle;

(b) the requirement as to showing a red light to the rear shall not apply to the vehicle drawing the second vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that in this instance the trap is regarded as a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

Does the above not state during "lighting up hours?" I have yet to see anybody spinning about on a horse and trap in the dark....maybe that's because they have no lights!

• Advertisement

I dont really care about the lights. I just wish he would use some hand signals. When he is slowing down or turning. Is it really that much to ask for. Just a little respect and courtesy to other road users.

I dont really care about the lights. I just wish he would use some hand signals. When he is slowing down or turning. Is it really that much to ask for. Just a little respect and courtesy to other road users.

Bit of a contradiction there Mr_Hat.
    I think it's you that needs a little more respect and courtesy for other road users.
    Hand signals on a horse and cart:rolleyes:
    Jaywalking forum this way
    >>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Do the rules of the road not say that a horse always has the right of way? I know they used to say that.

Bit of a contradiction there Mr_Hat.

Where exactly?
    I think it's you that needs a little more respect and courtesy for other road users.
    Hand signals on a horse and cart:rolleyes:
    Jaywalking forum this way
    >>>

Do you thinks its acceptable for another road user to suddenly stop, or turn without notifying other road users. When I drive I use indicators, when I cycle I use hand signal, or back in the day when it was ok to drive a car with broken indicators I used hand signals. Any mention of pedestrians in this discussion is completely redundant. I dont think its acceptable to suddenly stop without warning other road users. Do you?

Arciphel wrote: »
    Do the rules of the road not say that a horse always has the right of way? I know they used to say that.

From the rules of the road
    Animal traffic
    Always slow down and be prepared to stop when approaching or overtaking animals. If a person in charge of animals gives a signal to slow down or stop, you must obey it. Avoid using your horn if animals are in front of you, as it might frighten them.

Horse-drawn vehicles
    A horse-drawn vehicle must be equipped with two red rear reflectors and at night must also carry on the right-hand side of the vehicle a lamp showing a white light to the front and a red light to the back.

Drivers should take special care when:
    -approaching riding schools or places where horses are likely to appear, and
    -overtaking horses, especially loose horses or horse-drawn vehicles.
    -approaching a horse and rider, and if appropriate a driver must stop a vehicle and allow them to pass.

If the person were to signal me of course I would obey. But they dont thats part of the problem.

I have no problem with someone having a horse or horse and trap on the road. I just wish they could warn other road users when they intend to stop or turn off. And maybe carry a light when its starts to get dark. So other road users can see them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Animal-drawn vehicles.
    30. (1) Every animal-drawn vehicle (or vehicle constructed or adapted for use as an animal-drawn vehicle) shall, while used in a public place during lighting-up hours, be equipped with and show duly lit—

(a) (i) one lamp, as near as possible to the right side of the vehicle, showing to the front a white or yellow light visible for a reasonable distance,

(ii) one lamp, to the right of the centre line of the vehicle and as near as possible to the side, showing a red light to the rear visible for a reasonable distance, and

(b) while carrying a load (other than loose agricultura1 produce not baled or crated) projecting more than 3 feet and 6 inches to the rear of the vehicle, one lamp, showing a red light to the rear visible for a reason able distance, and so fitted that no part of the load projects more than 3 feet and 6 inches to the rear of that lamp.

(2) Where an animal-drawn vehicle with another vehicle attached (hereinafter in this sub-article referred to as the second vehicle) is used in a public place during lighting-up hours, the provisions of sub-article (1) of this article shall apply severally to the vehicle and the second vehicle subject, in a case where the distance between the vehicles is less than 5 feet, to the following modifications:

(a) the requirement as to showing a white or yellow light to the front shall not apply to the second vehicle;

(b) the requirement as to showing a red light to the rear shall not apply to the vehicle drawing the second vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that in this instance the trap is regarded as a vehicle.

Is that act still in force? It seems they only need something to indicate their position and not for any other purpose. I don't think they should be on the roads at all. I think it's cruel on the horse.

Where exactly?

Where you said "a little respect and courtacy to other road users"
    It works both ways
    Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    I don't think they should be on the road at all. I think it's cruel on the horse.

That's a whole other ball game were not going to go into.

In regards to a horse and cart stopping suddenly and turning,
    Thier only at a trot, 10-20kph, if you use respect and courtesy as you say and keep a reasonable distance between you and the back of the cart until it's safe to overtake you will have nothing to worry about.

Where you said "a little respect and courtacy to other road users"
    It works both ways

In regards to a horse and cart stopping suddenly and turning,
    Thier only at a trot, 10-20kph, if you use respect and courtesy as you say and keep a reasonable distance between you and the back of the cart until it's safe to overtake you will have nothing to worry about.

Who says, this isnt what I've been doing. But he has just stopped dead on a couple of occasions, and suddenly just turned left or right. If I hadnt been keeping my distance I'd of crashed into him a couple of times by now. But there are other drivers who arnt as cautious. All Im asking for us is a little notice, when he plans on doing it. That way everyone is safe. I get the impression you think Im being unresonable. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

This has to be the worst thread of all time.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    This has to be the worst thread of all time.

This is a great thread and you read every post didn't you:D
    Hasn't been this buzy on the Meath forum in months:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

How does a person who is holding onto reigns give hand signals? As you mentioned, keep your distance.....end of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

muckyprawn wrote: »
    How does a person who is holding onto reigns give hand signals?

Without much difficulty if they know what they're doing.

Meath is an equestrian county, there's plenty of hooved traffic on the rural roads, the vast majority obey the rules of the road, hand signals, position etc.

Advertisement