Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone had experience with au pairs?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I'm looking into hiring an Au pair, I would just like some feedback from anyone who has been one or has had one.

What have your experiences been?

As an Au pair, how were you treated in the family?

Did you go through an agency?

How was your experience in general? What did the family expect of you and what did you expect from the family?

In your opinion, is it a good method of childcare?

As a family, did the constant presence of a non family member cause disruption? How did you make the differentiation between work and non work.

Any other information that anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I think a lot depends on what you want the aupair for; they are not really suited to full-time childcare but if you work part-time and need someone to look after kids then or maybe after school for a few hours, it can work well. I have not been an aupair myself but a friend who had triplets got an aupair in a few months after the births. She was a lady in her 30's from Poland, not a teenager like the traditional aupairs of old. My friend was at home too, but with three babies and a kindergarten age child she really needed the help, and it also enabled her to have a nap in the afternoon, spend some time with the older child and go out a couple of times a month with the hubby. My friend went through an agency, because aupairs there are pre-screened and reference checked, and she didn't really have time to do that herself! The aupair had a clear contract- Sundays off, only so many hours a day (I think 6? Not sure), no more than one evening working a week and no overnights unless by prior arrangement, and she got English lessons paid too.

I think especially for your first time hiring, an agency is probably good because then they walk you through what to expect and you have someone to talk to if there are problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Thanks, don't suppose you'd know the agency that your friend used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

Au pairs usually do a max of 30 hours per week (childcare and 'light housework') for a little pay and live with the family. I have employed au pairs (nannies, I suppose) for full-time childcare. This has worked out well as the children are cared for in their own home. We started out with live-in and changed to live-out once the family grew in numbers.

Live-in worked well as it saves money. Our girls had a tv in their bedroom. Nobody ever sat with us in the living room after they finished work at 5pm/6pm. It just wasn't an issue. They went off to English classes some evenings. Babysitting was easy as they could just go to their room, or to bed, once it got late.

The best au pairs I had came from large families. I used websites such as www.aupairworld.com or www.greataupair.com. You can find au pairs who are currently living in Ireland on these sites. Once you observe someone with your children, you will get a good idea of whether they will work out or not.

You can specify on some sites if you prefer non smokers, if you require pet care/driver. Putting a little work into training in the person at the start will pay off for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I too have been thinking about getting an au-pair, as our working hours are not standard and I find it hard to fit in with creche hours.

Can I ask what you paid a live in au-pair?

For example: during school term I would be asking au-pair to drop child to school (walking distance) and then collect at 1pm and mind until 6ish (One child aged 4). 2 nights of babysitting per month. And english classes paid for. So what would I have to give her each week cash wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I would just like to offer some advice for the other side of the fence if I could. My best friend is currently working as an au-pair in Switzerland. She is having a lot of trouble with her host family at present. They are Irish so language barrier is not an issue, but there are major disagreements as she is now expect to work over 20 hours a week more than originally told, for less money. The host mother seems to think that she is there as a cleaner rather than anything else.

From her experience I want to offer some advice. Make sure that you both (au-pair and family) are very clear about what you expect from eachother from the get go. Lay out a clear contract including details of payment, living arrangements, acceptable behaviour of both parties, duties expected of the au-pair, any tuition or classes that you will pay for, who should pay travel expenses etc.

This should be agreed together ideally before they start work. That way if there is an issue from either side then you both have a written document to refer to and there is no confusion about it. Also it would be a good idea to include a minimum notice period so you won't be left in the lurch if they leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm looking into hiring an Au pair, I would just like some feedback from anyone who has been one or has had one.

What have your experiences been?
    Worked as an au pair for 2 toddlers and a baby
    As an Au pair, how were you treated in the family?
    The father was really nice, very chatty and brought me lots of fun places. Wife on the other hand wasn't that nice, rarely spoke to me and wouldn't clean up after herself and left me to do it. I'm not talking not clearing the table,I'm happy to do that, I'm talking wrappers and yoghurt pots left around.

Did you go through an agency?
    No

How was your experience in general? What did the family expect of you and what did you expect from the family?
    It was very,very hard work. Living where you work can mean you are effectively always working, 7am to 9pm, so be aware that they need time alone and shouldn't be working 14/15 hour days even if thats when the kids are up. I did general cleaning, occupying the kids, dishes and a bit of washing. Also, be aware that the language difference is exhausting for the first few weeks. Its really hard to discipline properly in a language you aren't confident in.

In your opinion, is it a good method of childcare?
    Its great if you have small kids that require non stop attention. Its also good for learning about other cultures/languages for the kids

As a family, did the constant presence of a non family member cause disruption? How did you make the differentiation between work and non work.
    The mother was always exhausted, so I think having me to take a good chunk of the work off her meant they were happier together a bit.

Any other information that anyone could give would be much appreciated.
    Make a clear timetable of what you do each day, a description of each child behavior wise, a description of your discipline style and also clear timetable of time off and pay (ie, after 12 on a wednesday you're free, other days after 6 or 7, then you can be off full day Saturday or Sunday), also as regards what you will or will not pay as regards language/other classes. I don't mean this as in just say it to them, type it all out and send it.

Advertisement