Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Book of the Month?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Maybe this has been done before? If it has maybe someone could put me in the right direction for the suitable thread.

I was thinking the other day it'd be kind of cool to nominate books, vote for that month's book and then read it, a sort of online book club for those of us who don't have the time to make it to real ones in the local library. We could pick a theme, e.g. August = Crime, take nominations and run a vote in the last week of July then read it. Suggestions could obviously go for genres/themes for a month's book.

I figured it'd be a good way to get into genres you wouldn't know where to begin with, as well as having some guarantee that you could discuss the book you're reading with people. Even if only a couple of people can take it up I'd still be interested in giving it a go!

Would you be interested in an online book club with a "Boards Book of the Month"? 32 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

I'm going with a yes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I'd love to participate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Great idea. Hope this one gets momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

Sounds good.

How many partricipants would you be looking for, wayhey?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Looks like there's good uptake on this, I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested before!

I'd be really happy if even 10 people would do it to be honest CdeP but I wouldn't cap it or anything, the more the merrier :)

I'd suggest first setting up a thread to take suggestions to discuss genres or themes... Perhaps alternate every month in a genre/theme pattern, such as genre: comedy / theme: revenge/ genre: fantasy/ theme: love. We'd talk it over and set out a plan like the one above. We could try that out; if it's too rigid we could reduce it to just selecting books we'd like to read. I thought maybe that rough plan would get some of us out of our comfort zone of reading.

Then, when we've direction with our books we create a thread on suggestions. People pitch a book for our first month, give a brief synopsis and why they think it should be read - it doesn't have to be one you read before, maybe it's something you've wanted to read for a long time! We vote on the nominees and read the book :)

Or if the group was small we could maybe take it in rotation choosing books? I'm open to any suggestions for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Totally :D This sounds brilliant and will keep me motivated to read more. I look forward to here more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

Does anyone know if something similar is done over in Films, Music, etc.? If so it might be worthwhile to see how they operate over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'd probably take part in this. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I would randomly take part in it too.

There's no need for a whole forum for it though, a thread in here would be ample.

I'd also suggest having the books done a few months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Sounds like a great idea but out of curiosity how would the book be chosen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'd be interested in a taking part in a non-rigorous kind of way! And as long as any books chosen are from the pile I've already bought and are awaiting perusal!:D

Seriously, as long as it doesn't get too demanding, count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

I would definitely be interested in this! Lots of angles you could take... you could enroll x amount of people and assign them different tasks whilst reading the book ie: Theme analysis, character depth analysis etc or just leave it at an open hearty discussion in general on the different impacts of the books... Either way, savage idea, keep it coming! No greater waste than an unread book xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    you could enroll x amount of people and assign them different tasks whilst reading the book ie: Theme analysis, character depth analysis etc

:(
    or just leave it at an open hearty discussion in general on the different impacts of the books...

:)

lordgoat wrote: »
    I would randomly take part in it too.

There's no need for a whole forum for it though, a thread in here would be ample.

I'd also suggest having the books done a few months in advance.

I actually read your post going "Forum? Wha-?" I didn't even realise I wrote it, so I changed it there now. Obviously a thread would be more than enough, I'm really bad for writing words in when I'm thinking about something else!

I think you're right about having books done a few months in advance; it gives people good time to find books. Maybe we could choose them 2 months in advance and have a 6 month plan of themes/genres? I just want the whole thing to be nice and easy-going. I think if we lay down book titles too quickly we could miss out on good, recent books people encounter or new books they just want to read!
    dr gonzo wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea but out of curiosity how would the book be chosen?

I think it's explained pretty well in my first post. If it isn't clear enough let me know and I'll try to write it out clearly, I'm notorious for just assuming people are on the same wavelength as me when I haven't been very clear at all!
    Einhard wrote: »
    I'd be interested in a taking part in a non-rigorous kind of way! And as long as any books chosen are from the pile I've already bought and are awaiting perusal!:D

Seriously, as long as it doesn't get too demanding, count me in.

I definitely don't want this to be a stuffy, boring experience and I don't expect people to devote themselves flat out to reading the book in one week and discussing it for three! If it ever stopped being fun I'd stop and seriously think about the direction it's going in.

When I laid out the theme/genre thing I just said that to a) give the book selection some sort of focus/direction each month and b) to get me to try recommended books of a certain type. I mean, I wouldn't know where to start with a genre like science fiction, I've only read a few books and no titles/authors really jump out at me!
    Miss Dymph wrote: »
    I would definitely be interested in this! Lots of angles you could take... you could enroll x amount of people and assign them different tasks whilst reading the book ie: Theme analysis, character depth analysis etc or just leave it at an open hearty discussion in general on the different impacts of the books... Either way, savage idea, keep it coming! No greater waste than an unread book xx

Miss Dymph, I just want to say it'd be deadly to have someone such as yourself involved. You've clearly got a love for books. I love when people can dissect a book and point things out to me I never noticed; my brother did English in college and I almost learn as much from his thoughts on a book as I do reading the book! I want this to be as free-flowing a process as possible; if people want to take on those sort of roles themselves and really explore the books in-depth, that's grand and they'd be more than welcome to the discussion thread on the book! Having said that I want as many people as possible to get involved, and ordinary, everyday input and opinions should be just as important! :)

I'll be on later after a job interview this afternoon. Tonight we'll get the ball rolling so on laying out a 6 month plan of themes/genres and then we'll choose our first two books.

I'll take note of all the people that have posted here. If you're not back around in the next few days I'll send out PMs with the general plan and any books we choose. I don't mind doing that every month, just a simple PM. There's no pressure if you fall behind or whatever any month, obviously it'd be great for people to get involved if they can but I understand other things can come first and stuff has a tendency of cropping up.

If we've a thread for each month's book then you could always return to it. And I'll record all previous books and stuff we read so that it'll always be available.

Suggest themes/genres or ideas for our first six months so people! If you like an idea just thank it so that if we get more than one we can choose the most popular ones; in the event of ties and stuff we'll randomise it in some way :) I'll be on this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I'd be interested in this too, as long we're afforded plenty of time to read whatever book is chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

wayhey wrote: »
    I think it's explained pretty well in my first post. If it isn't clear enough let me know and I'll try to write it out clearly, I'm notorious for just assuming people are on the same wavelength as me when I haven't been very clear at all!

apologies, it couldnt be more clear, i must have just been "this is a great idea" and then skimmed right past the part where you actually explain how it would work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi guys,
    I'd love to be involved if that's ok. I'm a huge reader and as my friends aren't I'd love to be able to chat about a good read. Or pick apart the frustrating ones. I'd also love to explore genres I'm afraid of. X x

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Great idea! I'm an avid reader. I already belong to 2 other online book clubs and I'd be interested in joining this one too.

Head on over to suggest themes/genres dudes!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056339193

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

This has been done at least twice since I've been active here, on both occasions there was a huge outburst of interest when it was initially suggested, then it dwindled down to a mere handful who actually read the suggested book, and then it was only the brave, loyal, foolhardy few who suggested a second book.

I wish the project the best of luck however, and hope it succeeds where others have failed.

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    This has been done at least twice since I've been active here, on both occasions there was a huge outburst of interest when it was initially suggested, then it dwindled down to a mere handful who actually read the suggested book, and then it was only the brave, loyal, foolhardy few who suggested a second book.

I wish the project the best of luck however, and hope it succeeds where others have failed.

Well sure we'll give it a whack anyway :) To be honest I'd still be happy with a handful of people as long as they wanted to do it, it's great to share a book you're reading.

Don't be afraid to get involved with suggestions over in the thread, even if you can only dip in/out every month!

Advertisement