Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Collection That dare not Speak Its Name

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Ha I could not post in here yesterday either, thought there was something wrong with my account.

This a great thread. :) Those Soviet medals for production of children were very interesting pieces as was the psychology behind the TR mothers medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Luftwaffe wrote: »

Soviet medals for production of children.
    That just sounds so Soviet, it would make you think they are being stamped out of metal by a huge machine.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Preusse wrote: »
    It was an April Fool's joke by boards.

Got me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

It looks like Christopher Walken! So yes - freaky!

This week I happened upon this and bought it.

1934 Day of Work badge

Work Day/ Labour Day. Made from brass with a goofy yet scary looking mofo with blank dead eyes staring at you. These badges were handed out at the 1934 meetings for the 1 May festivities.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

It was my birthday last week and my sister as usual came through with some class pressies. :-)

Reichsarbeitsdienst weibliche Jugend broach
    (Women's RAD broach)
    This was the badge worn on the neck scarf by former members of the female section of the RAD.

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

• Advertisement

Anschluss medal

Instituted on May 1, 1938, the medal commemorated the return of Hitler’s homeland to the German Reich. The move was the first in Hitler's quest for "Lebenraum", and it strengthened German flanks while weakening those of Czechoslovakia. German troops crossed the border on March 12, 1938, without meeting any resistance.
    It was awarded to all those Austrians who contributed to or participated in the annexation as well as the members of the Austrian NSDAP. It was also awarded to German State officials and members of the German Wehrmacht and SS who marched into Austria.
    The March 13, 1938 Medal was based on the 1938 Party Day Badge. On the obverse it featured a tall standing figure holding a swastika banner (Germany) helping another figure who had broken shackles (The freed Austrians) onto a podium stand which had the Wehrmacht Eagle and represented the Greater German Reich (all three "Flower War" Medals had the same obverse). On the reverse center it had the inscription "13 Marz 1938" with the slogan "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" (One people, One State, One Leader) surrounding it. This was a favorite propaganda slogan, I even have a bottle of red wine with this slogan on it! ;-)

This Medal is commemorating these events above and was presented to all those who participated in the annexation, as well as the troops who marched into the Sudentenland. It was also presented to all those who later participated in the creation of the protectorates of Bohemia and Moravia. The rear date differs from the original issued medal.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

Okay now to the novelty pieces! :-) :-)

An all metal replica "airsoft" Navy luger pistol. The Navy used a longer 150mm barrel Luger with a 100m/200m rear sight versus the standard Army 120mm barrel Luger. This is crafted beautifully and has some weight in it. The magazine holds 15 rounds and also the compressed gas. And it hurts like a moe foe when shot in the ass! ;-)

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

And now for the fantasy piece! I shouldn't actually post this at all, but decided to because the guy in the antique shop tried to sell this to my sister as "100% original" for 100 quid! :-0 Luckily she started laughing at him as even she knew that it was not real. But he protested that it was!! :-0 It is not even well made, very cheap and tacky build and finish. But still has a 2ft long scary steel blade... :-0
    Imagine the neck of this "antique shop" trying to pawn this off to some woman as being a genuine WW2 piece!! Seriously, Lord of The Rings meets the Nazis! WTF?!? If it wasn't a present I wouldn't even keep it. But it has comic novelty value I suppose, and a nice thought as a present.

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was my birthday last week and my sister as usual came through with some class pressies. :-)

Reichsarbeitsdienst weibliche Jugend broach
    (Women's RAD broach)
    This was the badge worn on the neck scarf by former members of the female section of the RAD.
    More than a bit of the Celtic/Roman crossover design going on with that one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

Okay now to the novelty pieces! :-) :-)

An all metal replica "airsoft" Navy luger pistol. The Navy used a longer 150mm barrel Luger with a 100m/200m rear sight versus the standard Army 120mm barrel Luger. This is crafted beautifully and has some weight in it. The magazine holds 15 rounds and also the compressed gas. And it hurts like a moe foe when shot in the ass! ;-)

Some nice items MedalFuhrer, nice airsoft Luger too. Reminds me of the time I got to hold Liam Lynch's artillery model Lugar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Here is my unmarked Radio Operator / Air Gunner Badge which can be attributed to the company of "Assmann". The badge comes with its original case of issue. The badge came along with two the photographs.

It came from the veteran's daughter directly from Germany. The story she gave was that her father was shot down over London in 1941. He was then captured and sent to a prisoner of war camp in Canada. On the back of the group photograph you will see that it was stamped with "Prisoner of War Mail" along with "base post office Ottawa Canada" He was not released until 1948.

The photographs were taken at different times and you can see that he held a different rank in each. The photograph taken of just himself he held the rank Feldwebel and he is waring a flieger bluse. The group photograph he is an Oberfeldwebel and he is waring a flight tunic. I also believe he is waring a cloth version to the RO/AG in the group photograph.

A nice bit of history.

Feldwebel_zps6a81e208.jpg

POWs_zps7c8de71e.jpg

POWsBack_zps4de54e51.jpg

RadioOperatorAirGunner01_zpsda14cb5b.jpg

RadioOperatorAirGunner02_zpsd0c15dd8.jpg

RadioOperatorAirGunner03_zps0770cf5b.jpg

RadioOperatorAirGunner04_zps8422c0e4.jpg

RadioOperatorAirGunner_zps3faeee62.jpg

Advertisement