Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home and hosed, RJ's virtual €s dead certs

Options
  • 24-07-2011 4:08am

When Dailynaps posted the tip for Twice Over on Friday night I had a looksee at the race, I came to the conclusion that it seemed the horse was without a rival in that race, now I don't often think that, reader's of my other log will agree that most of the yokes I back are not generally that fancied (most of them lose too but that's neither here nor there :pac:). Now most of us when we started gambling weren't overly bothered about value etc as we were stuck in the mindset that if the horse wins it doesn't matter if there was any value in the price or not, back all winners and who cares. Thankfully most of us cop on after a while and get out of that mindset. Anyone who knows me knows I don't really back shortpriced favs, I have almost a disposition to back anything but in my search for value bla bla bla.

But in saying that I think it might be interesting to see how a log of what I deem to be bankers get on, now I reckon over the course of say 100 bets we'll find that at best my bank won't be much bigger than the starting point, but you never know. This log will start with a bank of €1000 (virtual bank) and the plan will be level stakes of 2% of the bank, I suppose stakes can increase with the bank, we'll see about that. We'll take a Betfair price and also see how we'd have gotten on with SP. Now I know this isn't a novel idea but at least ye know I'll more than likely stick with it for a while anyway :pac: In saying that there won't be too many of these lads as 'tis rare enough I reckon a horse has such an infallible chance.

First off is the 3.50 from Pontefract, an 8f, Class1 listed race, going forecast is good. On the official ratings the fav, Cityscape is 11lbs better than his nearest rival, a delve into the form shows that he has been running to his rating ....

14Jun11 Asc 8Gd C1G1 141K 9-0 3/7 (2¾L Canford Cliffs 9-0) 14/1 Ryan Moore 119
    Canford Cliffs rated 127 in that

23Apr11 San 8Gd C1G2 45K 9-0 2/5 (2¼L Dick Turpin 9-0) 5/1 Steve Drowne 119
    Dick Turpin rated 124 in that

... finishing not too far away from serious horses rated well above him.

€20 @ 1.56 on Betfair, if it wins I'll be taking the 5% off the winnings for an accurate log. I reckon SP will be 4/9 ish but we'll have to wait and see.

Post away with all thoughts, opinions etc :)

Comments

RoverJames wrote: »

First off is the 3.50 from Pontefract.........

Non runner, virtual bank €1000

7.55 Bath Tenby Lady €20 at 1.67, SP to follow.

10f GF 0 to 80 HC, effectively goes off 71 in this, lto won a 0 to 90 10f by 1/2l beating a 77 rated rival home. Nothing else in the race seems to run to it's current rating, next in the ratings is rated 70. So there should be a length or two to spare :)

I'm almost tempted to back this myself in my real log but I won't :)

7.55 Bath Tenby Lady €20 at 1.67, SP to follow.

Won by 3 1/4 lengths at 4/7.

Betfair returns €12.73 profit (after 5% taken)
    SP returns €11.43 profit

Banks

Betfair €1012.73
    SP €1011.43

2.35 Curragh Banimpire €20 at 1.91

Haven't posted here in a while, basically haven't seen a likely bet to be honest. This lad is rated the best of these, has a 100% record over 10f (2 from 2), has one 50% of it's 12 starts to date, goes on any ground so the good going in the Curragh today poses no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

James that lad is a she :P

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    James that lad is a she :P

I've mentioned more than once I'm not a form, stats nerd :pac:

2.35 Curragh Banimpire €20 at 1.91...............

Won at 4/5 SP

Betfair returns €17.29 profit (after 5% taken)
    SP returns €16 profit

Banks

Betfair €1030.02
    SP €1027.43

7.45 Nottingham Tiddliwinks €20 at 2.04.

Can't see this one being any bigger tomorrow evening and I won't be about during the day to have a peak at Betfair.

Rated 104 and has 9lbs on it's nearest rating if one takes the ratings literally. Most of it's running has been done over longer than the 5f trip and it seems to stay on well for 6f most of the time, however the reading of it's Group3 run at the Curragh is as follows "Chased leaders, 3rd halfway, improved to challenge 2f out, led 1 1/2f out, ridden and challenged inside final furlong, headed final 100yds, no extra and kept on same pace (op 11/4)"

So in a Group3 6f race at the Curragh it led at the furlong point, you'd imagine it would have the speed to cope with this lot.

7.45 Nottingham Tiddliwinks €20 at 2.04...................

Won at 8/11 SP

Betfair returns €19.76 profit (after 5% taken)
    SP returns €14.55 profit

Banks

Betfair €1049.78
    SP €1041.98

6.20 Yarmouth Malice or Mischief €20 at 1.65

Was looking at this race last night and was thinking I nearly fancied this lad to beat Uphold, was 2.3 to win On Betfair last night with Uphold 2.1 ish iirc.
    With that one now a non runner I can't see anything else posing problems for Malice or Mischief, in fairness 1.65 isn't as short as I would have expected with Uphold out of the race.

• Advertisement

6.20 Yarmouth Malice or Mischief €20 at 1.65

.............................................................................

Won at 4/9 SP, skimpy but 4/7 was available for a few mins.

Betfair returns €12.35 profit (after 5% taken)
    SP returns €8.89 profit

Banks

Betfair €1062.13
    SP €1050.87.

3.05 York Seville €20 @ 2.38

Rated 120 in this 12f Group 2 on Good to Soft
    - has a touch of 2nditis but acts on good and good to soft, beaten less than a length by Treasure Beach at the Curragh, fav a length and a bit back in 4th.
    - 2nd at Longshamp lto with the fav 3l back.
    - Sea Moon has an awful lot to do on the ratings and 12f is an unknown, has from on heavy ground though.
    - Namibian stays the trip and goes on the ground but has it to do on the ratings.

I'm due a loser in this log but other than that I see no reason why this one isn't a candidate for in here :)

Actually may well be a candidate for my other log too....

3.05 York Seville €20 @ 2.38..........

Beaten, S/P 5/6, would have been 5 on the trot if he had won :(

Banks

Betfair €1042.13
    SP €1030.87

2.15 Goodwood Drunken Sailor €20 at 1.98

Much like my previous selections the big draw to this one is the rating, has a decent lash against them all with the exception of Motrice, however Drunken Sailors course and distance form on soft ground added to the higher rating takes care of that, pound for pound I'd take class over weight advantage (if ye follow my logic :pac: )........ anyway the selection........

- CD winner
    - stays longer
    - has from on soft
    - in good form
    - Kieran Fallen on board
    - well in at the weights/ratings except for Motrice, class looks after that though, Motrice has had some great performances but I don't think is up to taking this

Go and collect :D

2.15 Goodwood Drunken Sailor €20 at 1.98

Go and collect :D

10/11 SP beaten, beaten doesn't begin to describe what happened, not trying to redeem myself in anyway but I feel there must have been something amiss with the horse today.

Banks

Betfair €1022.13
    SP €1010.87

5.40 L'town Misty for Me €20 at 2.36

Has minimum 8lbs on this lot off OR, has won 2 of it's 3 8f races, the race it lost was a Newmarket Group 1 for fillies, the manner of defeat is a tad alarming but I imagine she wasn't 100% that day. Ground a tad softer than good won't inconvenience either.

5.40 L'town Misty for Me €20 at 2.36..........

Well beaten

Banks

Betfair €1002.13
    SP €990.87

'tis been a while since I had one for in here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75246700

€20 at 2.32 :)

Forgot to update this, that one was 3rd....

Banks

Betfair €982.13
    SP €970.87

Thread resurrection :)

1.35 Lingfield Encore Un Fois €20 at 1.87

Looks a two horse race between Encore Un Fois and Nibani OR 70 and 72 respectively, carrying 8 11 and 9 8 respectively so Encore Un Fois is 9lbs better off on the adjusted figures (in theory), that's a length or two at least.

Encore Un Fois has won over 10f at Kempton in November, beating Ice Cold Bex with which he was 5lbs worse off with by almost two lengths easily.

Encore Un Fois ran ok here at Lingfield but found the 12f trip a stretch, credible effort though.

Nibani has decent AW handicap form over 10f and will no doubt run a race, the rating seems about right so Encore Un Fois should get the better of Nibani.

• Advertisement

1.35 Lingfield Encore Un Fois €20 at 1.87............

Woeful :o

Banks

Betfair €962.13
    SP €950.87

6.30 Kempton Marajaa €20 @ 1.8

Has a right few pounds on all of these on ORs, in good form and goes on the surface. On paper shouldn't be troubled by any of them despite getting on a bit in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

6.30 Kempton Marajaa €20 @ 1.8

Has a right few pounds on all of these on ORs, in good form and goes on the surface. On paper shouldn't be troubled by any of them despite getting on a bit in years.

Easy win. :D

6.30 Kempton Marajaa €20 @ 1.8.........

Won at 1/1 SP, was surprised at the drift, such is life

Betfair returns €15.20 profit (after 5% taken)
    SP returns €20 profit

Banks

Betfair €977.33
    SP €970.87

4.25 Thurles Come To The Party €20 at 2.16

Looks on a very decent mark here in a hurdle, trip and ground to suit, the rest of them look poor, topweight a bit of an unknown quantity making HC debut but Come To The Party looks very well placed.

4.25 Thurles Come To The Party €20 at 2.16.........

3rd at 6/5, the unknown quantity one.

Banks

Betfair €957.33
    SP €950.87

8.20 Kempton Layline €20 at 2.4

On adjusted figures has a few pounds on all of these except for the 2nd fav, Into Wain who is also a CD winner, that was a while ago though in a weak enough HC. Recent excursions have been in novice hurdles though, not something I view as a positive.

Layline won a decent HC lto over CD off 85 by almost 3l, before that again over CD was beaten 3l but that was in a conditions stakes by the 30/100fav who was on ORs had just over a stone to play with.

8.20 Kempton Layline €20 at 2.4...........

3rd

Banks

Betfair €937.33
    SP €930.87

4.10 Kempton Cristal Bonus €20 at 2.32

Minella Class is the only one I'd rank as a slight danger to this one, has loads on the rest, should be ahead of the rest by a right few lengths.

• Advertisement

4.10 Kempton Cristal Bonus €20 at 2.32.........

Won well at 15/8 SP

Betfair returns €25.08 profit (after 5% taken)
    SP returns €37.5 profit

Banks

Betfair €962.41
    SP €968.37

Advertisement