Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket to fly out of Oz for customs

Options
  • 24-07-2011 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have my ticket back to ireland but am planning on staying in Oz as i have a job and should be submitting 457 paperwork in the next few weeks but as part of the original return ticket to get here i have a flight to Fiji so im goina go on a holiday there next month and then use the ticket to Ireland to get back to Sydney.
    As its going through Sydney and im meant to change flights so i just plan to get off the plane and leave the airport.
    Im assuming i need a ticket to anywhere outside Oz to show customs is this true? Or they even likely to ask for it?
    If so anyone know of any cheap one way flights to anywhere or what would be the cheapest destination form anywhere in Oz!?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

You mean Immigration?
    Customs only care about what you have with you, drugs, suitcase full of unlabelled Chinese food etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

You mean Immigration?
    Customs only care about what you have with you, drugs, suitcase full of unlabelled Chinese food etc..

Customs/Immigration.. passport control they're not just worried about who's bringing on inflight snacks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Thanks for clearing that up universe your intelligence is out of this world :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Hi All,

I have my ticket back to ireland but am planning on staying in Oz as i have a job and should be submitting 457 paperwork in the next few weeks but as part of the original return ticket to get here i have a flight to Fiji so im goina go on a holiday there next month and then use the ticket to Ireland to get back to Sydney.
    As its going through Sydney and im meant to change flights so i just plan to get off the plane and leave the airport.
    Im assuming i need a ticket to anywhere outside Oz to show customs is this true? Or they even likely to ask for it?
    If so anyone know of any cheap one way flights to anywhere or what would be the cheapest destination form anywhere in Oz!?

Thanks.

Its not very clear what you're asking.
    Is your question...Do i need to leave the country and return to activate the 457 visa and if so do you know of cheap flights?

As an aside:How are you going on holiday to fiji if you have submitted you 457 application. Dont you need to submit your passport with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Thanks for clearing that up universe your intelligence is out of this world :pac:

Mod Please don't mock users who are trying to help, you asked a question about customs and he corrected you.

• Advertisement

I wasnt mocking anyone thats why the smiley face was at the end of it! Anyways id say its pretty obvious what i meant and the intelligence part of the comment was an attempt at humour sorry if you didnt get it :D

Spunky i put the info in about 457 in case it had a factor on clearing immigration my question put as simply as i can is.

If i am on a WHV can i come back into the country with no exiting ticket?

Cheers.

If i am on a WHV can i come back into the country with no exiting ticket?
    Yes you can, but if there is only a short amount of time left on your visa immigration may ask for it, e.g. if you arrived with a week left and no flight out they can ask you to book.

But if you apply for a 457 they say you should not arrive until it is granted (although several boardsies have done so with no problems)

Thanks Hussey

I have until Nov left on my WHV and 457 should be submitted soon.
    I was concerned that if i didnt have the onward ticket they could make me board my connecting flight to Ireland and then bye bye Oz!!

After rereading my comment above to universe777 it did come across a bit bitchy which i did not mean just an attempt at humour playing on there username.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I'd just be a bit concerned about your luggage. If you're getting a connecting flight from Fiji through Sydney to Ireland chances are your luggage could be checked through to Dublin or London in which case you're going to cause a bit of a headache for the connecting flight when they realise you're not on board and have to remove your luggage etc.

Never even thought of that, looks like its goina have to be hand luggage or ship the bags back....
    Off to check ticket to see what qantas will allow me to carry on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    Yes you can, but if there is only a short amount of time left on your visa immigration may ask for it, e.g. if you arrived with a week left and no flight out they can ask you to book.

But if you apply for a 457 they say you should not arrive until it is granted (although several boardsies have done so with no problems)
    If he explains that he is lodging a 457 soon and will be on a bridging visa it should be fine.

I'm not sure why you think he should not arrive until it's granted. That only matters if he applies outside Oz or when he doesn't have a different visa.
    He returns on a WHV, applies and gets a BV if needed, can stay here until 457 is granted
    Thanks Hussey

I have until Nov left on my WHV and 457 should be submitted soon.
    I was concerned that if i didnt have the onward ticket they could make me board my connecting flight to Ireland and then bye bye Oz!!

November is ages away, plenty of time. You don't need a return flight to ireland.

Mellor wrote: »
    If he explains that he is lodging a 457 soon and will be on a bridging visa it should be fine.
    That's a big if to be risking, he would possibly need to back up that claim (again this is all speculation, none of us really know what immigration would do)
    I'm not sure why you think he should not arrive until it's granted. That only matters if he applies outside Oz or when he doesn't have a different visa.
    He returns on a WHV, applies and gets a BV if needed, can stay here until 457 is granted

Well as you say it depends on where he applies, if he applies when outside, the australian Government say you shouldn't arrive (though several people have done so with no problem) - he doesn't know yet where he will be when this gets applied for (Fiji, dublin, sydney?), if I am reading this thread right

the delay in submitting the 457 is waiting on the business to become registered to sponsor me when this comes through i will put in my forms hopefully before i leave go on hols!

You just reminded me of something else Hussey and on a slightly different tangent what happens if my 6 month period has passed but the application for sponsorship is submitted by me and the company and position have been approved, am i meant to leave until its passed or just work away and if its rejected i'm fired?! :eek:

the delay in submitting the 457 is waiting on the business to become registered to sponsor me when this comes through i will put in my forms hopefully before i leave go on hols!

You just reminded me of something else Hussey and on a slightly different tangent what happens if my 6 month period has passed but the application for sponsorship is submitted by me and the company and position have been approved, am i meant to leave until its passed or just work away and if its rejected i'm fired?! :eek:

You are unable to work beyond the 6 months unless you apply before (as far as I know) if you apply before you can get a bridging visa to allow you to carry on working.

You can possibly work when they submit (but not before)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    That's a big if to be risking, he would possibly need to back up that claim (again this is all speculation, none of us really know what immigration would do)
    I don't see how its a risk. The OP is in a completely legitmate situation.
    There is no requirement to have a return flight.

Lots of people make trips to NZ, Fiji, etc while in Oz on a WHV. Lots of people do this without a return and then get another visa, 2nd WHV or 457 etc.
    I know lots of people who'd be in similar situations with the RWC coming up.

Well as you say it depends on where he applies, if he applies when outside, the australian Government say you shouldn't arrive (though several people have done so with no problem) - he doesn't know yet where he will be when this gets applied for (Fiji, dublin, sydney?), if I am reading this thread right
    I was reading that he would be applying from Sydney.
    He lands on a WHV and then applies?
    You don't have to wait for the business to be approved. Once the SBS application is lodged you can go ahead and lodge your application.

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't see how its a risk. The OP is in a completely legitmate situation.
    There is no requirement to have a return flight.

No you are right, I guess I am watching too much border security -

but there is a requirement to have either a flight out of Australia or funds to purchase one. But by the sounds of it he is perfectly valid

Advertisement