Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelworx Bike Fitting Service

• 24-07-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has used Wheelworx's Bike Fitting Service?

If yes, what does it entail and how does is compare to others that are out there?

Its normally €90 however is thrown in free with a bike purchase.

Thanks for any information or insights.

Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has used Wheelworx's Bike Fitting Service?

If yes, what does it entail and how does is compare to others that are out there?

Its normally €90 however is thrown in free with a bike purchase.

Thanks for any information or insights.

Eddie

I got it free with a new bike out there about a month ago. Thought it was fairly poor enough, just adjused the seat height and handlebar position! I have since increased the height of my seat! I wouldn't buy here just for this service, I'm sure must shops will adjust the bike for you in a similar fashion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

chazlan wrote: »
    I got it free with a new bike out there about a month ago. Thought it was fairly poor enough, just adjused the seat height and handlebar position! I have since increased the height of my seat! I wouldn't buy here just for this service, I'm sure must shops will adjust the bike for you in a similar fashion!

And was that the €90 Pro Fit for a road bike? If yes, how long did they spend with you on it? What was involved e.g. tweaking saddle, watch you ride, tweak again, etc, or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I had it done on my bike when I bought it in Fonthill. Basically the guy who did it looked at me and set the bike up to what he thought I'd need. Had me get on and cycle a bit (on a turbo) then took me off and adjusted drop bars and saddle height/angle. Got back on and he made one more adjustment to the saddle and did something to the pedals and that was that. Took maybe five minutes tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I would refer you to this http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

"Bike fitting" is a sham IMO, I really believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I did the pro fit up there. Have commented elsewhere in forum on my thoughts. Summary, not great, not as advertised, and look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    I did the pro fit up there. Have commented elsewhere in forum on my thoughts. Summary, not great, not as advertised, and look elsewhere.

Thanks, so what did it entail, how long, etc..? Same as what others have stated in earlier posts?

It is being thrown in free as part of a bike purchase so am just curious for feedback so my expectations are correctly set, or so I can push to get the best out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

chazlan wrote: »

That's all there is to adjust on a bike - handlebar and saddle position.

Did they watch you pedal? Check where your knee is relative to the pedals?

Why did you increase your saddle height? You might be overworking your quads now as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

ive had a bikefit done over a year ago in irishfit,

i thought it was a waste of money, and time.

im 6'2 and was sold a 55cm for my first bike, when i did the bike fit, this never seemed an issue, which imo was the biggest problem.

since i changed my bike, and did the fit myself with the help of a youtube video, a plum line and the missus, ive never had any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I saw a guy getting a setup done one evening and would not be impressed.

Fernado that once worked there was a FIST qualified fitter, check him out... he has his own company now, fit4bike is the name afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

check out the individual rather than the facility that provides the fit. SICI or FIST are two recognised scientific qualifications

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭moggs1972

got fitted at base2race a few weeks back, very professional set up. was over 2 hours with them. saddle raised, cleat position changed to align knees and ankles. i was very impressed with Dom and his enthusiasm and the whole set up. now have a spreadsheet with every measurement under the sun so can apply it to other bikes. €80!

Cheers Everyone, as I said the €90 Pro-fit is being thrown in free as part of a bike purchase so I was just curious for feedback so my expectations are correctly set, or so I can push to get the best out of it.

I appreciate that there are other methods to do a fit and providers out there who offer this service, however seen as Wheelworx will be doing this I am more interested in any feedback specific to them and their methods.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Joeyde

Cheers Everyone, as I said the €90 Pro-fit is being thrown in free as part of a bike purchase so I was just curious for feedback so my expectations are correctly set, or so I can push to get the best out of it.

What is it you want to know exactly? If its free take it and see if you are happy, if not tweak one small thing at a time and try it for a while. The most important thing is to get the right frame size, so take it out for a good spin and check that you are not cramped or stretched on the bike. If your not sure then it doesn't fit. A good fitting frame shouldn't need too much tweaking.

I was in wheelworx looking at bikes, I had my first bike with me I thought was too big for me. He fitted me on it and tried to convince me it wasnt, but it was. I was streched on it and went a size down. Best decision I could make.

As said above, I imagine alot depends on who you get.

Joeyde wrote: »
    What is it you want to know exactly?

Just looking to know whats involved, and what to expect. If I was to walk in and spend the €90 surely that would not result in a 5-10 minute tweak as some earlier posts have indicated? Maybe it would though...:confused:

It's being thrown in free alight but I guess I want to get my free €90's worth so was looking to know of people's experiences with Wheelworx so I can assess if I am getting truly the €90 value or not.

Sorry if I am not being clear. :o

So for others that might be interested here is a quick summary of my €90 (free) Bike Pro-fit carried out by Wheelworx today when I picked up my new road bike.

I had rang earlier in the week as I assumed an appointment would be needed (which of course it was) and was told to bring cycling shoes and shorts (or wear something suitable i.e. not jeans) with me, however neither was applicable to me as I was also buying clothes/shoes today anyway whilst picking up the bike.

So they got the bike ready and onto a trainer, put the cleats on my shoes and had me hop on and start peddling. I've never used cleats so some time was spent teaching me how to clip in and out. I was then explained about the saddle (by being shown a spare one) and where I should be sitting most of the time, and was asked to find that spot as best I could and start peddling. I was then observed while peddling to assess my riding position and style. Next I was asked to stop peddling and clip out my right foot, the guy had be put my heal on the peddle and be as relaxed as I could while he peddled my foot around. He said he noticed I was rocking side to side a bit so the seat height was adjusted and we repeated all prior steps again until we were both happy.

Next he checked my knee over the peddle with a string with a weight tied on (pendulum jobby) and confirmed my position was good with knee over center of peddle (I might not have explained that good, but I knew from some reading on here, along with linked YouTube videos what he was checking for and it seemed correct to my limited knowledge).

Next we moved on to the handle bars. I felt like I was over-reaching a bit but had not said anything, he highlighted to me in the mirror the type of posture I had and how I should look. He reckoned the stem was too long for me which I confessed I did feel like I was over-reaching. He said we needed to change the stem for a shorter one and we also discussed whether I wanted a more relaxed position or aggressive, I went with relaxed as I am only starting out, so he inverted the new short stem and put it back on. Immediate relief was felt when I got back on with the shorter stem. He then spent some further time talking with me about posture/riding position, and the need to use/engage my core more. Then a final check everything was tightened-up and we were done. I'd say around 40mins in total or thereabouts.

So even for a newbie would it have been worth €90? Probably not, seems a bit expensive, however if you can get it thrown in for free it is definitely worth taking otherwise in my case I would have had the wrong stem, and probably been in a less than optimal riding position starting off, so hopefully this will get me off now to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

90e for 40 mins? wow no recession in this country!

Why do you think it was free? Why not ask them to reduce the price by that amount then see how free it was?

You could of put it towards going to someone good and getting a 2 hour proper assessment done.

I dont get your mentality at all tbh

kennyb3 wrote: »
    90e for 40 mins? wow no recession in this country!

Must not be, I wouldn't be that happy if I paid that for it.
    Why do you think it was free? Why not ask them to reduce the price by that amount then see how free it was?

You could of put it towards going to someone good and getting a 2 hour proper assessment done.

I thought it was free because they did not charge me for it and its a service they do provide and normally charge for? They did also reduce the bike by more than that amount.
    I dont get your mentality at all tbh

I'm sorry about that I was just trying to get some information initially from this great forum, and then provide feedback on my experience for other members who might read this thread later. My intent was not to upset members, apologies if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

moggs1972 wrote: »
    got fitted at base2race a few weeks back, very professional set up. was over 2 hours with them. saddle raised, cleat position changed to align knees and ankles. i was very impressed with Dom and his enthusiasm and the whole set up. now have a spreadsheet with every measurement under the sun so can apply it to other bikes. €80!

any chance you could post a pic of the spreadsheet just to give an idea of what measurements they include?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Must not be, I wouldn't be that happy if I paid that for it.

I thought it was free because they did not charge me for it and its a service they do provide and normally charge for? They did also reduce the bike by more than that amount.

I'm sorry about that I was just trying to get some information initially from this great forum, and then provide feedback on my experience for other members who might read this thread later. My intent was not to upset members, apologies if that was the case.

No need to apologise at all, i hope you dont take my comments overly negative. Not having a go at all. Id just rather see you ask them for another 90e off again and leave the fit out. I just think its ungenuine of them to tell you its thrown in free (which its not really) and then say it normally has a value of 90e yet they only spend 40mins (works out at 135e p/h then).

peed off with them and not you. Hope i didnt scare you off

No need to apologise at all, i hope you dont take my comments overly negative. Not having a go at all. Id just rather see you ask them for another 90e off again and leave the fit out. I just think its ungenuine of them to tell you its thrown in free (which its not really) and then say it normally has a value of 90e yet they only spend 40mins (works out at 135e p/h then).

peed off with them and not you. Hope i didnt scare you off

No worries, thanks for clarifying. We're all good, going for my first spin today. :)

Hopefully this thread will at least help others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Doesn't sound much different to the fit I got with CSS when I got my bike to be honest. Surely even the most experienced cyclsits would want to be at least 40 minutes getting their new bike fitted - for free?

Advertisement