Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 24-07-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi 323,

I see from your posts you are using an 8x68s, can you tell us a bit more about it as I am getting an 8x68 barrel for a Sauer takedown to use in Africa.
    Where in NI can the ammo be bought etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Hi

Contacted Ruag as the RWS importer in the UK they mentioned Field & Stream in Moy so got ammo through them.

However just recently been told it is no longer to get a temparory import licence for personal import of ammo. Neil McVeigh at Crescent Sports in Dublin said he would get them for me if I wanted.

What are you going for in Africa?

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

323 wrote: »
    However just recently been told it is no longer to get a temparory import licence for personal import of ammo.

I don't want to take the thread off topic too much, but do you mind telling me who told you that?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Markhor

Hi 323,

Thanks for responding to my message.
    The 8x68s is pretty unusual calibre here in Ireland, but to my thinking its probably one of the best general hunting cartridges in the world.
    I want to visit Kuruman in the northern part of South Africa bordering the Kalahari, where I would like to get a couple of gemsbok.

Please tell me how much game you have got withe 8x68s and what type, and some info on its performance etc.

I have a 9.3x62 but I would like to have the 8x68s for long shots at tough game.

Thanks.

Joe

Ezridax wrote: »
    I don't want to take the thread off topic too much, but do you mind telling me who told you that?

Had been told that we can no longer get a temparory import permit by a firearms dealer here, have not confirmed this so may not be true.
    Have to stop by my local Garda station anyway so will and see for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Had been told that we can no longer get a temparory import permit by a firearms dealer here, have not confirmed this so may not be true.
    i was up north the weekend and was told by 2dealers up there i could do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

AFAIK The paperwork and the decision on whether an importation can or cannot be done is not a matter for your local gardai, so I'd say your local GS will be none the wiser and probably will know as much about this as you do already.

It's the DoJ who deal with ammunition importation matters - so if you want an actual answer, I'd suggest you contact them directly with your query (They're usually very efficient and helpful) on firearms_inbox@justice.ie

Or to be honest with you, I haven't heard anything about ammunition importations now being stopped - and I'd be surprised if they were (I suspect the RFD who told you that may have been blowing smoke up your ass, to keep the sale in their shop ;)). Has anyone else heard this on their travels?

Feck it, easiest thing to do IMO, is to actually bang in an application for a import licence and see if you get a licence granted and sent back. It only takes an email and a couple of days wait (That's assuming you have a supplier lined up to get your ammunition). Here's the form: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/individual%20importation%20application%20form.doc/Files/individual%20importation%20application%20form.doc

Markhor wrote: »
    Hi 323,

I want to visit Kuruman in the northern part of South Africa bordering the Kalahari, where I would like to get a couple of gemsbok.

Please tell me how much game you have got withe 8x68s and what type, and some info on its performance etc.

Hi Markhor

Stayed just 30 miles or so to the south of there with an outfit called Constantantia Safaris, hunted around there and about 120 miles to the North West where got a good bull gemsbok.
    Took 9 animals in total with the 8x68, The bull Gemsbok, A good Kudu, Impala, Springbok, Blesbok and 4 Warthog(2 little ones for a spit roast).

Apart from the Kudu and Blesbok, taken in bush, rest of the shots were long, 250 yards and upwards. You can't go wrong with the 8x68 in those conditions, its generally very accurate and carries a lot of power far out, without the huge chamber pressures of the relitively new 325 WSM, a near ballistic equivelant.
    All but one single shots. Shot my gemsbok twice, they are very tough and as he did not drop my guide said to hit him again, later seen there was no need as the first clipped his heart and lungs.

Don't remember the name of the temp import permit for ammo, no time to get to the station, but applied last time at the local Garda station, goes from there to local Super. I went and picked mine up the next day rather than wait for it to come back to my local station.
    When issued it was valid for 3 days, know a few who have bought firearms in the north and got the same permit to pick them up after their licence was issued.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Had been told that we can no longer get a temparory import permit by a firearms dealer here, have not confirmed this so may not be true..

Allow me. He is wrong.
    dCorbus wrote: »
    ......., I haven't heard anything about ammunition importations now being stopped - and I'd be surprised if they were (I suspect the RFD who told you that may have been blowing smoke up your ass, to keep the sale in their shop ;)). Has anyone else heard this on their travels?................

The DOJ give import permits to individuals, and dealers alike. The Gardai in your locality are notified and recieve a copy of the import permit.

The PTB tried to enact some legislation to prevent, restrict or stop personal imports altogether in 2009, however that part had to be repealed immediately as it contravened some EU directive on open market, free trade, etc. Not sure of the exact law or how its worded.

It is still being done to this day, and is completely legal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Markhor

Hi 323,

Thanks for giving us the info on your hunt etc, enjoyed reading it.
    Sounds like you had a good time there, having taken such a variety of game.
    Just wondering what make of rifle you are using and if you are using RWS ammo.

Can you tell us what the daily rates are with Constantia Safaris and the trophy fees etc. and whether you got your trophies shipped back already, as I am sure many viewing this thread would be interested also.

Thanks.

Joe.

Hi Markhor

Very sorry, had lost track of your post/question about the 8x68. Went abroad working for a month with no internet access. Home since then away again, working in Africa at the moment.

To answer your questions

Shoot a Styer-Mannlicher Model-S, now discontinued, quite big/heavy but makes recoil of this cartridge very manageable
    Used 200gn Nosler Partitions had made up for me, as dealer was not going to have ammo for me in time.
    RWS ammo I use is the 187 RWS H-Mantle. should work fine . Worked great for me on long shots on a pair of big red stags one morning last winter, later the same morning a fox popped up out in front of me and ran, Texas heart shot turned him literally inside-out.

Also - just noticed the 8x68 in again listed by Norma loaded with 200gn Swift A-Frames, should be very good. Already emailed dealer for price to try and get a few box’s.

If you have not already gone, when going to South Africa, you may already know but do consider using one of the companies that arrange pre-authorized firearms permits. Have heard some absolute horror storied of hunters waiting at the police station in Johannesburg airport up to a day to process their permits, missing their ongoing connection flight etc. We were met just after baggage; he already had our rifles, taken to the police office, on our way in less than 10 minutes, well worth the fee ($90US I think). I used www.riflepermits.com

Don't remember all Day rate info and such, all on my home PC, will be home in a few weeks so PM me and can send all on.
    Presently checking into prices at the moment myself for next year.

Trophies are home:D, that can take you up to a year, gives you time to get the cash to pay for that together.

Do use a bonded clearance agent in Dublin, your shipping agent in SA will want you to, they will talk to each other about arrival time and such, are familiar with airport procedures, will pick up your crates when they arrive and store them until cleared and so avoid costly airport storage charges. Dept. of Agriculture wanted to see ours for some reason but did not turn up for a few days, would have cost a small fortune if they were still held in airport storage. Another fee, yes, but probably worth it.
    Again, all details still on home PC. If of any interest to you/anyone, do PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement