Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options
  • 24-07-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I know its a bit early but I got inspired by the Slane thread.

I was wondering what are everyone's hopes/expectations for next year's Oxegen festival?

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this year and will most certainly be attending come next July. Here's some of what I'm expecting;

Possible Headliners;

The Killers
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Muse (unlikely but still clinging to this possibility)
    U2 (unlikely too but they should headline sometime after being at Glasto)
    The Script (may be a full headliner next time)
    Christy Moore for Green Spheres
    Paulo Nutini (may return to full headline Vodaphone)

Possible Sub-Headliners;

Noel Gallagher
    Snow Patrol
    Lady GaGa (guilty pleasure and they usually have a few pop acts)
    Weezer (would love to see them again)

Other Acts;

The Corona's
    Jessie J (raging I couldn't see her this year)

Acts unlikely to return

The Black Eyed Peas (can't see them playing a 3rd year in a row)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Black Eyed Peas are on a hiatus now so it won't be them. I'd say the bigger question is if Oxegen will return in it's current form next year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Black Eyed Peas are on a hiatus now so it won't be them. I'd say the bigger question is if Oxegen will return in it's current form next year.

Yea i would love a change tbh. Maybe a smaller version of Sonisphere just for something new but reduce capacity and prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

if kasabian's new album is as big as west ryder they will surely headline a night. i expect noel g to play before the main act. also red hot chilli peppers i expect to perform.

heard a rumor that it could be cut back to 2 day festival due to terrible buys for camping this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

Possible Headliners (Not just main stage)
    Killers
    Green Day
    RHCP
    Kasabian
    King of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Snow Patrol
    Lady Gaga
    Muse
    Mumford and Sons (2nd stage/3rd)

I'd be surprised if the headliners did not come out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

blink'll be there.

They happen to have that weekend T in the Park/Oxegen on, entirely free, and some uk dates the week after :pac:

Them under Green Day would be amazing if it happened.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    Possible Headliners (Not just main stage)
    Killers
    Green Day
    RHCP

Kasabian
    King of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Snow Patrol
    Lady Gaga
    Muse
    Mumford and Sons (2nd stage/3rd)

I'd be surprised if the headliners did not come out of that.

Id say any of them are prob going to be at Oxegen 2012
    blink'll be there.

They happen to have that weekend T in the Park/Oxegen on, entirely free, and some uk dates the week after :pac:

So that prob means Blink will do Oxegen/TITP/Sonisphere.

Might skip Oxegen next year and hopefully hit up Soni if its a good line up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

blink'll be there.

I'm not really sure about Green Day mainly because their new album won't be finished for a while.

I'd imagine they are still being considered for Slane (and no people don't say they won't sell out Slane, with the right supports they will).

Blink I forgot about but yeah they would be good too.

Here's a few more for filler acts

The Kooks
    The Coral
    The Feeling
    KT Tunstall
    Counting Crows
    The Ting Tings
    Carolina Liar
    Mika
    Avril Lavgine
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Republic of Loose

Im not sure if Green Day could sell out Slane because if they couldnt even sell out Marley Park last year with Paramore .

Well Green Day could do Oxegen then release an album then come back for the arena tour

Im not sure if Green Day could sell out Slane because if they couldnt even sell out Marley Park last year with Paramore .

Well Green Day could do Oxegen then release an album then come back for the arena tour

Considering Green Day sold 20,000 for Marlay and about 14,000 each for the Oddysey Arena and the O2 that would be 48,000 tickets in total, I say they are on that track. They just need 80,000 to even sell Slane well.

If they can bring out a few more smashes with their next album they could be nearing Slane popularity.

This is off-topic so we will get back to Oxegen. As much as I would love to see Green Day again, I think The Killers are a more-likely contender for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I can't really see blink doing oxegen seeing as they're playing the O2 in June. I don't know how likely it'd be that they'd play twice that close together.

The kooks, snow patrol and red hot chili peppers all have albums coming out this year so I could see them playing.

I'd love if muse came back to play it again.

• Advertisement

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I can't really see blink doing oxegen seeing as they're playing the O2 in June. I don't know how likely it'd be that they'd play twice that close together.

The kooks, snow patrol and red hot chili peppers all have albums coming out this year so I could see them playing.

I'd love if muse came back to play it again.

Black Eyed Peas played the O2 not long before they did Oxegen last year. Since the Blink show will prob have sold out by the time they come announce acts for next year so they wont lose any money.

Hopefully Muse dont come back since it would be to much more repeative of headliners again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Blink said in their cancellation announcement that they will return to headline every European festival next year they were due to play this year

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Brand New. Get on it MCD.

We all know the headliner is going to be Amanda Brunker anyway

We all know the headliner is going to be Amanda Brunker anyway

No way, U2 for headliner.

Anyone who has seen their Glastonbury performance knows that the Irish legends are what Oxegen needs more than anything else to tackle plumetting ticket sales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8lxLCQebnI

karaokeman wrote: »

Anyone who has seen their Glastonbury performance knows that the Irish legends are what Oxegen needs more than anything else to tackle plumetting ticket sales.

It was a joke mate, I was referencing her humiliating appearance at this years festival where only a handful of people turned up

Sadly U2 will never do Oxegen , they will only do their own gigs
    It was a joke mate, I was referencing her humiliating appearance at this years festival where only a handful of people turned up

And i say most of them were people from the media

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

be surprised if it goes ahead next year tbh

I agree I believe Oxegen is on the way out. They nearly did not get the licence this year, and the undercard acts were pretty poor. Couple that for the crowds well deserved bad reputation, I just get the feeling that Oxegen has lost its spark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Anyone who was at that their Glasto gig, I was, will know that they got one of the smallest crowds at the mainstage all weekend.

In fairness, the weather was poxy.

• Advertisement

They nearly did not get the licence this year

Where did you hear about that?

Where did you hear about that?
    People mentioned it early in the Oxegen thread for 2011. It's probably one of those "A friend of a friend told me" situations

People mentioned it early in the Oxegen thread for 2011. It's probably one of those "A friend of a friend told me" situations

Ah now I don't believe those little kiddy rumours.

People should only believe Oxegen was just about licensed if there was an actual press release from the organisers stating that.

These "he said, she said" claims are overhyped and should not be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Will it be going ahead next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Mumford and Sons said they'll play Oxegen 2012 at their last gig in Olympia earlier this year :cool:

Mr.S wrote: »
    nothing to support this statement apart from low ticket sales. Low ticket sales does not mean they bin the whole thing.

Oxegen will be back.

Sure didnt people say that there would not be a Oxegen this year

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

People should only believe Oxegen was just about licensed if there was an actual press release from the organisers stating that.

I'm sure MCD would jump to release that information.

Mumford and Sons said they'll play Oxegen 2012 at their last gig in Olympia earlier this year :cool:

Awesome I missed them last year.

Would be great to see M&S headline the main stage.

Awesome I missed them last year.

Would be great to see M&S headline the main stage.

They are not at that stage maybe 2nd stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

I was at the gig. They never said they would play Oxegen 2012. They just said they would not play Oxegen 2011 and said they were sure to play it again at some point in the future.

I'd be shocked if they did not play it. 2nd stage, not headliners tho.

Advertisement