Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

went last two years, 2010 was decent, the fun of campsite was a laugh but it was just a lucky year coz where we stayed was basically everyone from south dublin. 2011 was muck and im never going back

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

wingnut84 wrote: »
    i've been going since back in the days of witness and fairy house and for people to be coming out and saying you'd rather it be in the phoenix park as there would be no camping and you could go home/to a hotel at night ?? you people are muppets , the whole essence of a MUSIC FESTIVAL is muddy campsites for 3 or four days getting sauced with your mates and some random strangers you just met in the tents next to yours and enjoying some good bands in the pissing rain and saying why cant every weekend be like this , if this isnt for you then off you hop to the nice warm 02 for westlife's farewell gig !!!!!!!!

have you been to any other festivals per chance, aside from leeds and to a lesser extent reading, thats ridiculous

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The last time i actually enjoyed Oxegen (atmosphere wise) was 2008 . I have been every year since 2006 but stopped camping in 2008 and the festival has seriously gone down hill . Not feeling safe , when you pay about €300 for a weekend you expect to have decent facilities etc but thats not what you get at Oxegen . And before anyone says "You dont get good facilities like that at festivals etc" ive been to Rock Im Park in Germany and Pukkelpop in Belgium and for half the price of Oxegen you get great facilities , you can still drink , meet knew people , have a great time and actually feel safe. You dont get drunk 17 year olds falling all over the place or falling on your tent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wingnut84

Melion wrote: »
    No its not. I cant stand people falling drunk around the festival site. My first experience of Witnness was the first year in 2000, i missed it once until 2008 and havent been back since. Scumbags ruined what was the best thing about an irish summer. A "MUSIC FESTIVAL" as you put it is about the music, not camping, not getting píssed, not meeting strangers etc.

+1
    You need to get that seriously oversized stick outta your arse !!! Camping and strangers and all that makes the craic 20 times better , but ye fair weather fools that are afraid of a little rain and a roll round in the mud , stick to your indoor events !!! Feckin loosen up and learn to live a little ...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I don't think you know what fair weather means.

• Advertisement

wingnut84 wrote: »
    You need to get that seriously oversized stick outta your arse !!! Camping and strangers and all that makes the craic 20 times better , but ye fair weather fools that are afraid of a little rain and a roll round in the mud , stick to your indoor events !!! Feckin loosen up and learn to live a little ...

129150906364236820.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greatbuzzman

Won't be touring for a few years, until their next album, and I'm fairly sure they'll be going to Electric Picnic even then.

Yeah I saw Arcade Fire in Dublin last year, it was something else! They're ****ing amazing! If they were to do another tour they would sell out everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Noel Gallagher will be there.

Maybe not sub-headlining seen as how his Belfast date hasn't sold out.

Perhaps third up on the main stage as Beady Eye were or headlining Green Spheres.

Either way he will be coming one way or another;).

karaokeman wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher will be there.

Maybe not sub-headlining seen as how his Belfast date hasn't sold out.

Perhaps third up on the main stage as Beady Eye were or headlining Green Spheres.

Either way he will be coming one way or another;).

Yea i think somewhere like Green Spheres headline slot would be a good idea or maybe 3rd from top on Main or 2nd from top on Vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Calvin Harris and Madeon are playing some very large Swedish House Mafia gig on the 14th in Milton Keyes Bowl over in the UK. That might rule them out for Oxegen, if it's going 13-15th.
    Chance of some Kid Cudi? Deadmau5, Nero? Bloody Beetroots? Beastie Boys, Arcade Fire? Bloc Party or Kele, Daft Punk for a comeback, Florence and the Machine is a huge possibility.. She was class at Oxegen 2010.. Kanye West could be headlining. Chance of the Pixies? Maybe Vampire Weekend? :)

Kid Cudi: Might be recording. The Wizard project's album release is due soon, but he's got Man on the Moon III to record yet. Not sure if Oxe will be on the cards.
    Deadmau5: He's always touring, records while touring, like. Good bet for Oxegen, especially after last year.
    Nero: Either Oxegen or the SHM gig.
    Bloody Beetroots: Didn't they clash with mau5 last year? Shameful. Not sure if they'll be touring next year though.
    Beastie Boys: Haven't heard anything.
    Arcade Fire: No chance this year, and they probably won't do Oxegen again.
    Bloc Party\Kele: Not sure about this. Word is they're recording and could have something out before next year, but if they'll be on tour by July depends on a few things.
    Daft Punk: Nothing concrete. I'll just say "maybe". Rumours of Daft Punk activity came up a week ago with a change to their website. We'll just have to see.
    Florence + The Machine - Absolute certainty. Will definitely be touring. Possible headline.
    Kanye West - Maybe with Jay-Z. Watch The Throne tour has US dates booked until December. Europe extension seems almost likely. Kanye did a festival set for Coachella last year so he might do a festival tour this year, maybe Glastonbury, Oxegen etc.
    Pixies - Wasn't aware of their reunion! Might be a possibility.
    Vampire Weekend - Currently recording, no word on release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doctorwholover

Here are a list of acts that may or may not play at oxegen

The killers
    The Stone Roses
    U2
    Radiohead
    Metallica
    Pearl Jam
    Jack White
    Biffy Clyro
    One of Damon Albarns bands
    Snow Patrol
    Keane
    Franz Ferdinand
    Florence and the Machine
    Slash and Miles Kennedy
    The Answer
    Noel Gallagher
    Kasabian
    Vampire Weekend
    MGMT
    Queens of the stone age
    Linkin park
    Pearl Jam
    Therapy?
    Green day
    Mumford and Sons
    Pixies
    Stereophonics
    Bruce Springsteen

Which acts do you think would play?

318379_162356627191272_100002508069951_289349_513628070_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Here are a list of acts that may or may not play at oxegen

The killers
    The Stone Roses
    U2
    Radiohead
    Metallica
    Pearl Jam
    Jack White
    Biffy Clyro
    One of Damon Albarns bands

Snow Patrol
    Keane
    Franz Ferdinand
    Florence and the Machine
    Slash and Miles Kennedy
    The Answer
    Noel Gallagher
    Kasabian
    Vampire Weekend
    MGMT

Queens of the stone age
    Linkin park
    Pearl Jam
    Therapy?
    Green day
    Mumford and Sons
    Pixies
    Stereophonics
    Bruce Springsteen

Which acts do you think would play?

I have striked out all the bands that are unlikely in my opinion to be headliners.

U2 - while unlikely it is not impossible seen as how they played Glasto. Organisers of Oxegen will be after U2 especially if they lose Bruce to Croker

The Stone Roses - very, very likely. Confirmed for T In The Park, that will make Oxegen easy for the taking

The Killers - again, very, very likely with a new album out soon

Metallica - not a chance, as much as I would love it. When was the last time Oxegen booked a metal band?

Noel Gallagher - not a headliner, sub-headliner maybe or third on main stage

Pearl Jam - seen as how Foos played this year, maybe just maybe

Snow Patrol - will play but are not big enough to headline

Anyone else there is a possibility but certainly not a headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

I read that Florence has been confirmed to headline Benicassim? I wouldn't have thought she was at the headlining stage already! So she may be a possibility to headline Oxegen, big step up from the Red Bull Academy just 3 Oxegens ago! Would rather she headlined the Green Spheres to be honest, far better atmosphere.

Id say she will be 2nd/3rd on the Main Stage or headline Vodafone Stage

Also expect The Vaccines to be somewhere on the Oxegen bill (unless they for Electric Picnic) . Maybe half up Vodafone Stage or early Main

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

everyone is saying this is real......
    prob not just once gaga is playing ill be happy :D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sisco wrote: »

It's not real.

It's a bad photoshop and the person doing it got names wrong. Amateur.

Fake as hell. And if Kings of Leon and Linkin Park are headliners... kill me.

Let's look at this though.

Bruce Springsteen - Playing for the Oxegen crowd? Doubtful. Remember he's charging up to €96 for tickets for his gig. Not a chance.
    The Stone Roses - Incredibly likely.
    RHCP - I wish, but I've heard that Croker will be their only Irish gig next year
    The Prodigy - update: They're doing only one UK festival show next year at Download festival next year. makes it possible for them to do Oxegen? who knows. Not ruled out but looking less likely over time.
    The Chemical Brothers - This NEEDS to happen. After their EP performance it wouldn't surprise me if Oxegen are rushing to book them. Hopefully. Not sure if they'll be touring at the time though, but they've recorded in between packed tour schedules too though.
    MGMT - I figure they might be around to tour their third album.
    Deadmau5 - buried in the end of this list for some reason, odd because he's one that is quite likely to show up again...
    Bombay Bicycle Club - I like the odds of them showing up.
    The Vaccines - Quite likely.
    Example - Yeah, sure, if that's what you like he's probably going to do another run of festivals this year, considering his last album's just out and seems to be pretty much made for that purpose.
    Kaiser Chiefs, The Coronas, The Kooks etc. - don't they have new albums and stuff to tour? Coronas at least are a definite, probably will headline some lesser stage or be early main. And the Kaiser Chiefs are still around? What?

--

Justice have been announced for The Marquee as of late and seem like strong candidates to do either that dance stage or 2nd stage like Fatboy did.

In conclusion, does anybody know if the Kanye West\Jay-Z tour is going to do Europe? It'd be a solid headliner if secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The Prodigy say Download will be their only festival appearance next year.

Rihanna is playing O2 Wireless Festival the same weekend as Oxegen so it's a strong bet she'll be a headliner for Oxegen. Since O2 Wireless is a UK exclusive, you can rule her out for T in the Park, however The Stone Roses could be playing T in lieu of Rihanna if they end up booked for Electric Picnic/separate headline gig here. Sort of like with Black Eyed Peas/Pulp this year.

however The Stone Roses could be playing T in lieu of Rihanna if they end up booked for Electric Picnic/separate headline gig here. Sort of like with Black Eyed Peas/Pulp this year.

I really, really hope this won't happen. Although TSR seem a better fit for EP, I almost definitely won't be going there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

The Prodigy say Download will be their only festival appearance next year.

"only uk festival show"

"only uk festival show"

According to NME, it will be their only festival appearance next year. Doesn't strictly say UK but maybe I've read it wrong.

Their website DOES strictly say UK though. http://theprodigy.com/latest-news/559-download-festival-2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/79171/182797.jpg

You know it's a pretty poor attempt at a poster when they couldn't look at a 2012 calender and get the dates right!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

According to NME, it will be their only festival appearance next year. Doesn't strictly say UK but maybe I've read it wrong.

they must have misquoted them then or something :D that was like the first thing i read into when they put up the Download announcement on their website.. :rolleyes:

A prodigy die-hard myself, fingers crossed!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Rihanna at Oxegen would bring in the punters, huge demand.

I wonder if Gaga will play as a headliner. She's touring in 2012.

Could be. If she and Rihanna end up playing it would be most pop-orientated year in terms of headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Could be. If she and Rihanna end up playing it would be most pop-orientated year in terms of headliners.

And in that case id be doing this in the opposite direction
    omgrun.png

Id say it will be either Rihanna or Gaga that play . Not sure if both would play , but then again if MCD got both of them it well sell extremely well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Mr.S wrote: »
    Rihanna at Oxegen would bring in the punters, huge demand.

I wonder if Gaga will play as a headliner. She's touring in 2012.

I doubt Gaga would do Oxegen! Apparently she's lined up for a MCD summer-concert, but I'd say it's more likely a few dates at the O2, an Aviva concert, or something other than Oxegen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I still predict, Rihanna, Stone Roses and Killers/Prodigy as headliner. With an undercard of Katy Perry (she said she would be at T in Glasgow), Lady Gaga, Foster The People, Coronas, Bressie, maybe Florence

Advertisement