Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Also Oxegen wouldn't really be a radiohead crowd.
    Oxegen didn't seem like a crowd for The National either yet they held 2nd place on the Vodafone stage, before Pendulum no less (Oxegen can be weird like that). Or Arcade Fire, mainstage headliner two years ago (yes, I'm aware that was said to have been a pure disaster)

I wouldn't rule out Radiohead for it being Oxegen. I'd rule Radiohead out because their tour dates clearly don't allow it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea it was a bit of a surprise getting The National but they put them on a stupid time against Beyonce . Although tbh any act playing the same time would have lost a crowd , nearly would have been better having no bands playing till she was over :D . The crowd was tiny and felt sorry for them since if they were at EP they would have gotten a big crowd.

As said for a headliner Radiohead would be totally lost and would not go down well and since most people at Oxegen would not know they were not gonna play Creep etc the crowd would be bored out of their skull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I really hate giving in to these rumours that are passed around every year but the reality of it is plain and simple.

There will be NO Oxegen next year

You really think that at least the dates would've been announced by now.

Seen as how so many of the big acts are gone my best bet would be that Oxegen will be replaced by a smaller festival. It will probably be something else, not Oxegen.

If its a two day event with less filler acts, that would save them losing money.

The Killers or Green Day would be best bets for a mainstage headliner if this does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

karaokeman wrote: »
    Seen as how so many of the big acts are gone my best bet would be that Oxegen will be replaced by a smaller festival. It will probably be something else, not Oxegen.

...they'll pull pop acts to make up for missing rock acts. The rumours of Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry etc. seem to be pointing towards keeping the Oxegen brand with a different musical focus. Of course if that happens I won't keep much interest in it, but Oxegen will still exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Colm! wrote: »
    ...they'll pull pop acts to make up for missing rock acts. The rumours of Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry etc. seem to be pointing towards keeping the Oxegen brand with a different musical focus. Of course if that happens I won't keep much interest in it, but Oxegen will still exist.

I don't think they're going to have a 4 day camping festival though, maybe a one day festival. Acts and tickets were announced in November last year if I recall correctly, and there simply weren't enough ticket sales to make the festival fully sustainable for this year (Sunday night was the only one with a big crowd, drew in by Béyonce, which I'm sure MCD realised and are now aiming it as a pop based day festival rather than a 4 day rock festival.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

penexpers wrote: »
    I doubt they would go from Germany -> Scotland -> Ireland in the space of three days. It doesn't really match any of their previous touring patterns. I would think that dates in France are being worked on for the period between Berlin and Bilbao.

MCR did Portugal > Ireland > London > Scotland in the space of 4 days.
    With the rest of their schedule being a lot more spaced out. No reason a band couldn't do 3 in 3.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mr.S wrote: »
    There will be an Oxegen 2012.

Folks just because 1 year didn't generate a lot of tix sales, doesn't mean they just throw the whole thing in the bin.

i doubt oxegen as it was will ever happen again, something will replace it... its past it sell by date bout 6 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Radiohead have just confirmed a second date in Berlin on July 7th.

Id say there will be Oxegen but it would be probably re-vamped and scaled down . With big acts like Lady Gaga and Rihanna because MCD will know that they will sell out (especially with their most recent arena tours)

Sure Foo Fighters/Blink/AM were only announced around this time and later last year . Personally im hoping they have oxegen with all the pop aspect and have something like Bud Rising for the better acts :p:p .

One day events are the best bet at this stage eg Hard Rock Calling/Wireless etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

MCR did Portugal > Ireland > London > Scotland in the space of 4 days.
    With the rest of their schedule being a lot more spaced out. No reason a band couldn't do 3 in 3.

My Chemical Romance are not Radiohead though.

• Advertisement

My Chemical Romance are not as bad as Radiohead though.

Fixed for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Fixed for ya :D

much much much worse is what you mean

darryn wrote: »
    much much much worse is what you mean

Ha well tbh im not the biggest fan of MCR but i would prefer them to Radiohead (cant stand them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Foo Fighters were confirmed for Oxegen on 13th December last year with early bird tickets going on sale the following Friday.

I think it's fair to say that if we don't hear anything from MCD by Friday 16th December, Oxegen as we know it will not take place. MCD will not want to miss out on potential Christmas ticket sales.

No announcment before Christmas would also probably mean the Deposit scheme which has been widely used since it's introduction would not be in place which would again put people under financial pressure.

Also, if nothing is announced before Christmas regarding Oxegen, we will probably have to wait a good while into the new year to get any information regarding a "NEW" festival etc which has been remoured as I imagine ticket sales for any big event would be pretty poor in January/ February.

Just a case of sit tight for the next two weeks I think and wait for any sign of movement from MCD.

Must also be taken into consideration that a Slane announcement is due so those tickets will need to go on sale and sell-out aswell. Timing is vital when it comes to these major announcements!!

Must also be taken into consideration that a Slane announcement is due so those tickets will need to go on sale and sell-out aswell. Timing is vital when it comes to these major announcements!!

If there even will be a Slane next year

If there even will be a Slane next year

Very true. We are none the wiser with regards the Slane gig or Oxegen.

Slane was announced in mid-October last year.

If Oxegen does not take place, you could see Stone Roses playing Slane. However, if Oxegen takes place, you would imagine Stone Roses will play, especially as they are playing T in the Park which would leave Slane open to Foo Fighters.

Dave Grohl did say at Oxegen last July that he knew when the band was coming back and it wasn't too far away!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

There will be an Oxegen 2012.

Folks just because 1 year didn't generate a lot of tix sales, doesn't mean they just throw the whole thing in the bin.

exactly.
    bring it back to a 2 day festival, with less filler bands an id be tempted to go again! assuming the line up was decent

Very true. We are none the wiser with regards the Slane gig or Oxegen.

Slane was announced in mid-October last year.

If Oxegen does not take place, you could see Stone Roses playing Slane. However, if Oxegen takes place, you would imagine Stone Roses will play, especially as they are playing T in the Park which would leave Slane open to Foo Fighters.

Dave Grohl did say at Oxegen last July that he knew when the band was coming back and it wasn't too far away!!!

Yea the fact Foo Fighters havent announced any other UK/European dates is a good thing for us :D . Id be worried if they had announced dates but no Irish dates . Id say its looking like there wont be arena dates id say it will be outdoor shows again

Just because Oxegen hasn't been announced now doesn't mean it won't take place. For years the first announcement for Oxegen was around about March.

Franz Ferdinand have announced their first festival at Primavera Sound 2012

• Advertisement

Just because Oxegen hasn't been announced now doesn't mean it won't take place. For years the first announcement for Oxegen was around about March.

With ticket sales as poor as they were this year it would nearly be essential for Oxegen to be announced a little in advance.

If only U2 would do Oxegen, just looking back at the collaborative performances they had this year (Coldplay with Christy Moore, Slash with Fergie etc).

I would love it if U2 and Green Day were two of the main stage headliners at Oxegen 2012 and if U2 brought them on stage to perform The Saints Are Coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It won't be happening. They typically advertise tickets going on sale the Monday after the festival ends and the fact that nothing appears to be getting organised (even from insider word of mouth) then it's pretty much gone.

Which begs the question, what will fill the hole it leaves. Clearly they have to get smaller. The organisers got too greedy with making it bigger and bigger. They never are content to leave something at a respectable size, even if it means they don't the artists that charge through the nose. Who needs Beyonce and Black Eyed Peas though. Bring back Witnness.

It won't be happening. They typically advertise tickets going on sale the Monday after the festival ends...

Really? Never heard of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the festival receives a rebrand with a new sponsor, maybe a slight edge towards Electric Picnic, but I'd be surprised if the festival will be cancelled outright.

I don't remember any year when tickets went on sale for the following year the Monday after the festival finished. Tickets for the past few years have always gone on Sale in mid to late December. That sale usually ends on 31 December before tickets go on general sale again in early March after the official festival launch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Really? Never heard of that.
    I don't remember any year when tickets went on sale for the following year the Monday after the festival finished. Tickets for the past few years have always gone on Sale in mid to late December. That sale usually ends on 31 December before tickets go on general sale again in early March after the official festival launch!!

For the last few years at least (don't remember before that) they've announced that it'd be held on x date and then a limited number of tickets went on sale at the same price as they were that year. Don't think they did it at the end of the 2010 festival though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Your not getting it though, your basing the canceling of oxegen based on a year of poor sales. (Oh and while it wasn't sold out, it wasn't exactly dead. Sunday was jammers and Friday/Sat where hardly graveyards.)

Do you think MCD et al would just throw it all away after 1 "bad" year :P?

IMO though, they should cut the thursday, and make it into a 2.5 day festival starting on Friday afternoon.

Oxegen hasn't sold well in a few years, I don't think.

Also, Jim Carroll had an interesting article last year where he speculated that any profit for festivals like Oxegen might only come from the last 5,000 weekend tickets sold (5000 * 240 euro = 1.2m euro). That is if there is more than 5000 weekend tickets left over, the festival actually makes a loss. I can't find this article now.

For the last few years at least (don't remember before that) they've announced that it'd be held on x date and then a limited number of tickets went on sale at the same price as they were that year. Don't think they did it at the end of the 2010 festival though.

Looking back, the first year they implemented early bird tickets was for Oxegen 2008 and for every year besides 2008 they were first made available in November/December (they apparently made presale tickets available in August for the 2008 festival, but that was the only year I believe). The general sale for every Oxegen so far has been March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

When the rumours were going around that Oxegen might be moving to Phoenix Park did MCD not release a statement saying that it would not be leaving Punchestown? Or did I dream this? With no Glastonbury this year they might get a lot more people coming over from the UK for their fix, Isle of Wight and T in The Park sell out every year as it is so a lot of people might decide to try out Oxegen. Either way i won't be disappointed if its not on, its not what it used to be. Roll on Electric Picnic. Far superior festival in my opinion!

• Advertisement

andrew stockdale of wolfmother has tweeted that they have been invited to some festivals in europe in june/july.

positron76Andrew Stockdale

The good folk of Europe have invited us back to play massive summer festivals in June/July 2012!
    1 hour agoFavoriteRetweetReply

Advertisement