Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

mutley18 wrote: »
    When the rumours were going around that Oxegen might be moving to Phoenix Park did MCD not release a statement saying that it would not be leaving Punchestown? Or did I dream this? With no Glastonbury this year they might get a lot more people coming over from the UK for their fix, Isle of Wight and T in The Park sell out every year as it is so a lot of people might decide to try out Oxegen. Either way i won't be disappointed if its not on, its not what it used to be. Roll on Electric Picnic. Far superior festival in my opinion!

MCD released a statement saying that it wasn't moving to Phoenix Park, they did not confirm that it would be in Punchestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

penexpers wrote: »
    MCD released a statement saying that it wasn't moving to Phoenix Park, they did not confirm that it would be in Punchestown.

Nor that it was definitely going ahead or that there wasn't to be one in the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They only said that Oxegen wouldn't be in Phoenix Park. No mention of if Oxegen would be going ahead in Punchestown or anywhere else and no mention of whether a rebranded festival under a different name would take place in Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Is it even on?

I hope so! Don't want a bunch of kids and knackers going to Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

MCD really are a joke of a company! Whoever is running PR should be shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

O'Doodle wrote: »
    MCD really are a joke of a company! Whoever is running PR should be shot!

They make money, pretty good company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Considering the monopoly they have on music promotions it would be hard for them not to.

Hard for them not too really!

Considering the monopoly they have on music promotions it would be hard for them not to.

They don't have a monopoly, there are other promotion companies. In my one experience of going to a gig organised by Aiken Promotions they charged a huge price for standing tickets for Paul McCartney in the RDS and then when tix weren't selling they decided to put a few hundred seats at the front of the pitch and sell them for an outrageous price, meaning the closest we could get was a 100 yards or so from the stage. That really pissed me off so I don't MCD, at least they've pulled that sort of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

MCD certainly have had PR issues in the past, mainly due to the perception - rightly or wrongly - that they have engaged in crass profiteering in times gone by.

Slane - headlined by Oasis and Prodigy - a number of years back was a case in point. Crowd packed in to dangerous levels, impossible to get a drink, massive delays leaving. It all left a sour taste.

Aiken are no better, Peter Aiken recently giving out about "whining" of punters about price and that it is more expensive to put on a gig in Ireland. Not a wise PR move I think.

Hope Oxegen can down-scale, rebrand and compete with Forbidden Fruit next summer. The silence has been deafening from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

They don't have a monopoly, there are other promotion companies. In my one experience of going to a gig organised by Aiken Promotions they charged a huge price for standing tickets for Paul McCartney in the RDS and then when tix weren't selling they decided to put a few hundred seats at the front of the pitch and sell them for an outrageous price, meaning the closest we could get was a 100 yards or so from the stage. That really pissed me off so I don't MCD, at least they've pulled that sort of crap

Those seats in the "Golden Circle" were on sale from the start alongside all other tickets so i don't know where you got the idea that they were put on sale because of poor ticket sales.

kennyu272 wrote: »
    Those seats in the "Golden Circle" were on sale from the start alongside all other tickets so i don't know where you got the idea that they were put on sale because of poor ticket sales.

Those tickets were advertised about 4 weeks before the gig as "Newly released front row tickets". The poor ticket sales comes from the fact that there were sh1t loads of tickets still available at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Those tickets were advertised about 4 weeks before the gig as "Newly released front row tickets". The poor ticket sales comes from the fact that there were sh1t loads of tickets still available at the time

Well how come i bought those seats on the first day the tickets went onsale?

kennyu272 wrote: »
    Well how come i bought those seats on the first day the tickets went onsale?

As I said there the only thing that made me think it was a last minute job was the fact that they advertised those seats as 'newly released' a few weeks before. Regardless of when they were released for me that gig was ruined by the seats at the front because it just wrecked the atmosphere, people didn't seem to get into it until near the end. The original point was about MCD and I was just saying I've never really had a problem with them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

As I said there the only thing that made me think it was a last minute job was the fact that they advertised those seats as 'newly released' a few weeks before. Regardless of when they were released for me that gig was ruined by the seats at the front because it just wrecked the atmosphere, people didn't seem to get into it until near the end. The original point was about MCD and I was just saying I've never really had a problem with them.

I think you're mistaken, loads of RDS concerts have that gold circle thing and the tickets are always available from day one. They also have no problem in selling them so it doesn't make any sense to hold them back, as the most avid fan will want the best (and by default most expensive ticket). To put more expensive tickets on sale to try and generate ticket sales is a pretty stupid tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Jeden wrote: »

Aiken are no better, Peter Aiken recently giving out about "whining" of punters about price and that it is more expensive to put on a gig in Ireland. Not a wise PR move I think.

It is more expensive to put on a show in Ireland for a major touring artist. That is a fact.

Anyway back to Oxegen. normally the Xmas ticket sales promotion is on by now so if that can be taken as a sign ...

If there's no news within the next week Oxegen isn't happening in it's current format next year! Most festivals in the UK have at a bare minimum confirmed their dates for 2012 and alot have already started selling tickets. MCD have confirmed nothing at all. This goes to show Oxegen isn't happening in it's current format OR MCD are severely lacking in the PR department!

Like surely it's common business sense to publicise what is happening as soon as possible so people can make plans? Even if MCD confirmed whenever Oxegen 2012 was happening or not instead of holding music fans to ransom by not announcing anything! Like I don't want to book to see the Red Hot Chili peppers in Croker, or Snow Patrol in Dublin/Belfast to find out they'll all be playing at Oxegen aswell!

MCD could quite literally cash in this Christmas by confirming Oxegen 2012, confirming Slane 2012, confirming Coldplay 2012, confirming if the Stones Roses are playing in Ireland, confirming Gaga, confirming T Vital 2012 etc etc

Why are they being so tight lipped about all this before Christmas? Doesn't make sense at all! I've got cash to part with for music next summer as I'm sure ALOT of people have!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

This tuesday it will officially be a year since the first acts announcement (13th) of last Oxegen.

If we hear nothing at all this week, MCD have blown their chances at re-christmas ticket sales.

And with how poorly Oxegen sold last year they ain't got a hope of selling well this year if there's no early bird announcements soon enough.

I also have money to spend on gigs for next summer, already threw out €70 yesterday for a RHCP ticket and I still gots much more for Coldplay in the Aviva, Stone Roses, who knows Bono says we might be hearing from U2 next year.

Till then MCD have some serious gig announcements to catch up on if they (like all of us) want a good 2012.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If there's no news within the next week Oxegen isn't happening in it's current format next year! Most festivals in the UK have at a bare minimum confirmed their dates for 2012 and alot have already started selling tickets. MCD have confirmed nothing at all. This goes to show Oxegen isn't happening in it's current format OR MCD are severely lacking in the PR department!

Like surely it's common business sense to publicise what is happening as soon as possible so people can make plans? Even if MCD confirmed whenever Oxegen 2012 was happening or not instead of holding music fans to ransom by not announcing anything! Like I don't want to book to see the Red Hot Chili peppers in Croker, or Snow Patrol in Dublin/Belfast to find out they'll all be playing at Oxegen aswell!

Not totally true , yes they are leaving it a bit late to announced if oxegen will/wont happen but its not the worst move . One reason id say they are waiting longer is probably because they want RHCP to sell better (which by the looks of it , isnt do to well) .
    I dont see the bad thing about MCD holding out till the new year sure Sonisphere hasnt announced their acts yet , Reading and Leeds only announce in Feb? and TITP only have 1 act confirmed

I could see MCD working on something new with Oxegen(might even change the name etc) They could just announce the festival in one Major announcement which could include a bunch of big names that will sell tickets asap and it would be a great way to start the new year with a big announcement like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Not totally true , yes they are leaving it a bit late to announced if oxegen will/wont happen but its not the worst move . One reason id say they are waiting longer is probably because they want RHCP to sell better (which by the looks of it , isnt do to well) .
    I dont see the bad thing about MCD holding out till the new year sure Sonisphere hasnt announced their acts yet , Reading and Leeds only announce in Feb? and TITP only have 1 act confirmed

Well they might surprise us with an announcement this week, who knows. Bottom line is that people are shopping now for Christmas. No concert announcement or even just tickets on sale means no demand. For every festival it is vital that the tickets are as sale at the earliest opportunity. Now is a good time to sell a chunk of them - 7 months in advance, get the tickets bought now and all people are looking for on the run up to the gig all people are looking for is their spending money.
    I could see MCD working on something new with Oxegen(might even change the name etc) They could just announce the festival in one Major announcement which could include a bunch of big names that will sell tickets asap and it would be a great way to start the new year with a big announcement like that

New year is really too late. Though if I was a betting man I'd put my money on a bigger Forbidden Fruit type event and probably in the Phoenix park (as rumoured).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

BrianD wrote: »

New year is really too late. Though if I was a betting man I'd put my money on a bigger Forbidden Fruit type event and probably in the Phoenix park (as rumoured).

Its not too late as said a lot of festivals wont be announcing acts till after the new year . It would be more of a big announcement instead of just doing what every other festival is doing and it does create more of a buzz. Look at Forbidden Fruit this wasnt announced till late enough in the new year and the same with Electric Picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Its not too late as said a lot of festivals wont be announcing acts till after the new year . It would be more of a big announcement instead of just doing what every other festival is doing and it does create more of a buzz. Look at Forbidden Fruit this wasnt announced till late enough in the new year and the same with Electric Picnic

Electric Picnic always have tickets on sale by Christmas even though they don't announce line ups til later than Oxegen.

Forbidden Fruit is new and it's normal for a smaller festival not to announce itself far too early in time.

There is still no talk of Oxegen happening, and I don't mean from messageboards. It's looking pretty much like it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Mr.S wrote: »
    Your not getting it though, your basing the canceling of oxegen based on a year of poor sales. (Oh and while it wasn't sold out, it wasn't exactly dead. Sunday was jammers and Friday/Sat where hardly graveyards.)

Do you think MCD et al would just throw it all away after 1 "bad" year :P?

IMO though, they should cut the thursday, and make it into a 2.5 day festival starting on Friday afternoon.

I'm not saying they are dumping it after another year of not selling out. There's a lot more to it than that. Either way all I can say is I have heard through the grapevine that there is absolutely no talk of it happening when usually there would be a lot of details set in stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

"Newly released front row tickets" as in, more were put on sale in that seating area. Those tickets were on sale at the start

The original point was about MCD and I was just saying I've never really had a problem with them.
    you are lucky! Slane '09 was a disaster. ACDC in punchestown, i was sitting in the car for 3 hours before it moved. carpark was a joke

Like I don't want to book to see the Red Hot Chili peppers in Croker, or Snow Patrol in Dublin/Belfast to find out they'll all be playing at Oxegen aswell!

Very very unlikely they would do both. anyway, 10 times out of 10 id see a band at their own gig rather than a festival slot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Might just give Oxegen a miss next year if it goes ahead.

RHCP and Noel Gallagher are both playing in Croke Park and they are the two main acts I would have wanted to see playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

karaokeman wrote: »
    Might just give Oxegen a miss next year if it goes ahead.

RHCP and Noel Gallagher are both playing in Croke Park and they are the two main acts I would have wanted to see playing.

plus tom petty has a gig now, there doesn't seem to be many bands left to play Oxegen

Killers, Snow Patrol, Kasabian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Killers, Snow Patrol, Kasabian

they wouldn't draw me to oxegen after foos playing last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

darryn wrote: »
    plus tom petty has a gig now, there doesn't seem to be many bands left to play Oxegen

Are you suggesting that there are only 3 acts that could play?

Advertisement