Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Are you suggesting that there are only 3 acts that could play?

No I just mean major head-liners, like killers and snow patrol and kings of leon have all played it to dead, and are a generic and boring line-up, maybe that's just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Definitely the end of Oxegen..

The Stone Roses will play the Phoenix Park on July 5th. Ian, John, Mani and Reni... Reunited!!! Tickets on sale this Tuesday at 8am from Ticketmaster Ireland, limited to 6 person.

The dates are similar, and it's phoenix park as the rumour suggested. 3 day headliner concerts probably, one more will be Gaga..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

R.I.P Oxegen!!!!!

Stone Roses 5th July Phoenix Park is the confirmation. No need for MCD to make a statement, it's pretty clear!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I wonder will there ever be another Oxegen? Seeing as we can take it it won't be on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I wonder will there ever be another Oxegen? Seeing as we can take it it won't be on this year.

Probably not, there will be a new festival to take its place but that new festival won't be Oxegen.

Hopefully this time there will be less emphasis on making the festival "bigger".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

R.I.P Oxegen!!!!!

Stone Roses 5th July Phoenix Park is the confirmation. No need for MCD to make a statement, it's pretty clear!!!

Good riddence to it :D Its a shame it ended up like it did as I have had some of the best weekends ever at Oxegen prior to 2008, they should have an IQ test in place for people wishing to buy tickets to its replacement

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

threein99 wrote: »
    Good riddence to it :D Its a shame it ended up like it did as I have had some of the best weekends ever at Oxegen prior to 2008, they should have an IQ test in place for people wishing to buy tickets to its replacement

Same i camped from 06-08 and had a great time but after that it didnt seem as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Same i camped from 06-08 and had a great time but after that it didnt seem as good

I went most years up until 06, wasnt around in 07 and then went again in 08 and it was like a totally different festival, full of complete scumbags, I couldnt believe the change in it in just two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I really hope all the muppets don't switch to EP for their annual weekend of tent slashing and burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Oxegen is no more!

Why Thursday night for the Stone Roses though. They are headlining T in the Park on Sunday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I've seen TSRE twice on the Thursday night at Oxegen. So the real (pfft!) band playing on a Thursday night during the week of TITP is the way it should be

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Oxegen is no more!

Why Thursday night for the Stone Roses though. They are headlining T in the Park on Sunday night

Maybe we could see a few big gigs that weekend in Pheonix Park? Basically a scaled down Oxegen 1 headliner and a few acts on before (e.g Mini festival)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Hate to say I told you so..

Oxegen is pretty much dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Oxegen is always tied in with T in the Park

Do ya think they could be moving it to the end of August to tie in with Reading & Leeds? Just a thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I liked Oxegen back when it was called Witnness. I haven't been since the mid 2000's, have no interest in going these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Wouldn't surprise me if Jedward end up headlining one of 2012s main events!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

simit wrote: »

christian_bale_american_psycho_patrick_bateman_axe_10989289_RE_PwnzElite_has_declared_war_on_Grammar_Nazis-s400x300-173837.jpg

simit wrote: »

Please, who listens to those two anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

karaokeman wrote: »
    Please, who listens to those two anymore?

Please don't tell me you ever listened to them in the first place.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Please don't tell me you ever listened to them in the first place.

Never I'm referring to the 15-year old girls who listened to Jedward's songs while they were in the charts.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Oxegen is always tied in with T in the Park

Do ya think they could be moving it to the end of August to tie in with Reading & Leeds? Just a thought?

Id be happy with that , although they would need to change the name . If the rumours are through with R&L that Foo Fighters are gonna headline they would need to do something about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Good effing riddance, went the past 2 years and I'd say I've definitely blown about a grand on the 2 of them. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

They must have taken a huge financial loss last year. Place was empty for the two days I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

MCD say details of Oxegen will be announced next year.

They wouldn't play down rumours of a move to Phoenix Park if that wasn't actually planned to happen; it's very uncommon for MCD to directly respond to rumours in the press.

Saying that it is interesting that they've booked The Stone Roses so close to usual dates Oxegen is held on. Maybe MCD feel booking them for Oxegen would be put to waste?

MCD say details of Oxegen will be announced next year.

They wouldn't play down rumours of a move to Phoenix Park if that wasn't actually planned to happen; it's very uncommon for MCD to directly respond to rumours in the press.

Saying that it is interesting that they've booked The Stone Roses so close to usual dates Oxegen is held on. Maybe MCD feel booking them for Oxegen would be put to waste?

Maybe the details are that there will be none next year? Id say the reason they responded was so they could be the 1st to announce what is going on with Oxegen instead of it been leaked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1217/1224309216777.html
    Oxegen festival may have run out of air

SPECULATION IS growing that the seminal music festival of the summer, Oxegen, will not take place next year.

Concert promoters MCD yesterday announced 1980s rave-generation band The Stone Roses, fronted by Ian Brown, will play the Phoenix Park on July 5th.

The date coincides with the Scottish music festival T in the Park, which takes place in Balado, Kinross-shire from July 6th to 8th.

Oxegen, which has been promoted by MCD for the past seven years, has always been held on the same weekend in July as T in the Park, to facilitate big acts moving between the two festivals.

The Stone Roses have also been announced as the first headline act for T in the Park.

Doubts have been increasing over whether Oxegen would take place next year, particularly as no announcement had been made about dates on the festival website, long after promoters of rival summer festival the Electric Picnic confirmed it would take place in Stradbally, Co Laois, between August 31st and September 2nd.

Both festivals lost money last year, although Oxegen was particularly badly hit, having sold an estimated 40,000 of the 80,000 tickets that went out.

Sources say it is now “extremely unlikely” Oxegen will take place. Jim Carroll, music writer for this newspaper, said MCD could be planning a non-camping festival in the Phoenix Park, similar to the London Calling festival in Hyde Park.

“There is still a captive audience for that kind of musical festival . . . I have heard a London Calling-type of thing is planned over the same weekend as T in the Park, and that makes sense.”

He said US singer Rihanna was also rumoured to play the Phoenix Park in the first July weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Look what happened with the Marley Park gigs, this year it was scaled down totally and held in a tent.

I reckon Oxegen will be the same, scaled down and in Phoenix Park, it makes a lot more sense, no hassles or issues with gobshites in the camp site, no huge production costs for 29 stages, circuses, flying midgets and talking dogs.

So I'm guessing if Oxegen is made into a mini-festival in the Phoenix Park only day tickets will be available?

I'm really happy its unlikely Oxegen will go ahead, means I won't be tempted.

And I already know RHCP and N. Gallagher in Croker will be one of the best gigs of 2012.

Yea this whole Pheonix Park thing will be some much handier , Easy to access either get a special bus (presume there will be one) or just walk from heuston station . Can stay in a pub till you wanna go down and then hop on a bus/car or into a hotel room and have a peaceful sleep.

Maybe we will get

Stone Roses
    Rihanna
    Pearl Jam
    Coldplay

Over the weekend? Maybe throw in Killers or Snow Patrol in there also and if the Foo Fighters dont do Slane we might get a gig there aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

How do we know Oxegen made a loss last year? Isn't that just pure speculation on behalf of everyone? 40,000 tickets only sold?

There was easily 80k in the field for Coldplay on Sunday!

Advertisement