Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

argentum wrote: »
    I work for one of the concession companies and they have booked staff in to work already.We have been told its in Punchestown a week earlier than normal and not to book holidays

hmmm this seems strange, I'm curious as to who will play now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

I work for one of the concession companies and they have booked staff in to work already.We have been told its in Punchestown a week earlier than normal and not to book holidays

I'm not saying the above isn't true but it seems strange..

The Managing Director of Punchestown Racecourse stated a couple of weeks ago that MCD has not booked the racecourse for next Summer (although he did state that this was usual practice for MCD).

So taking the above as fact, that means Oxegen is on 28th June until 1st July (Thurs - Sun). The Isle of Wight is the weekend before this and T in the Park is the weekend after. Why would MCD break away from the tradition of holding Oxegen the same weekend as T?? From a booking bands point of view, it makes no sense....

Chilli's are playing Croke Park on the Tuesday 26th, seems a little close for MCD to put on the production in Croker and then have to move Stage, lighting and staff etc etc to Punchestown.

I hope it does go ahead. I've been going for years and also went in the time of Witness and although a few scumbags do appear, you can ignore them and really enjoy the quality line-up that MCD usually bring here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I'm not saying the above isn't true but it seems strange..

The Managing Director of Punchestown Racecourse stated a couple of weeks ago that MCD has not booked the racecourse for next Summer (although he did state that this was usual practice for MCD).

So taking the above as fact, that means Oxegen is on 28th June until 1st July (Thurs - Sun). The Isle of Wight is the weekend before this and T in the Park is the weekend after. Why would MCD break away from the tradition of holding Oxegen the same weekend as T?? From a booking bands point of view, it makes no sense....

Chilli's are playing Croke Park on the Tuesday 26th, seems a little close for MCD to put on the production in Croker and then have to move Stage, lighting and staff etc etc to Punchestown.

I hope it does go ahead. I've been going for years and also went in the time of Witness and although a few scumbags do appear, you can ignore them and really enjoy the quality line-up that MCD usually bring here!!!

just take some acts from isle of wight, pearl jam, biffy .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Apparently we will be hearing an announcement before christmas, that is assuming the Stone Roses tickets sell out this week, I still think MCD should announce it immediately this is getting ridiculous.

Fears for Oxegen music festival as Stone Roses steal thunder

By Ken Sweeney
    Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Concert-goers have been left in the dark about the fate of the annual Oxegen music festival.

For the past seven years, the three-day music event has been the highlight of the Irish music calendar, attracting up to 80,000 music fans to Punchestown Racecourse, Co Kildare.

However, there was a significant drop in attendance this year.

Rumours of Oxegen's demise have spread rapidly, and last night a spokesman for promoters MCD could not confirm whether it will definitely go ahead next year. "An announcement on Oxegen 2012 will be made at a later date," he said.

However, one source hinted that the promoters have been holding off making any announcement until 40,000 tickets go on sale this morning for a highly anticipated reunion gig by Manchester band the Stone Roses in the Phoenix Park in Dublin on July 5.

"Once the Stone Roses tickets are gone, I'd expect an announcement on Oxegen, and it will come before Christmas," said the source.

The Stone Roses playing Phoenix Park instead of Punchestown sparked the rumours about the absence of an Oxegen 2012.

However, one concert source pointed out the '80s band play Dublin on a Thursday, which would not compete with Oxegen if it were to be staged that weekend. The same insider rubbished claims that "rival summer festival the Electric Picnic" had stolen a march on Oxegen by its sale of early bird tickets for the event taking place in Stradbally, Co Laois, between August 31 and September 2.

"MCD are involved with both festivals so it's inaccurate to say that the Electric Picnic is a rival festival to Oxegen," said the source.
    A possible rebranding of Oxegen and/or a different location are two other potential changes which have been suggested could be made to the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dont see the Stone Roses selling out before the New Year anyway

• Advertisement

I doubt the weekend of the 28th until the 1st will happen, especially since the Irish Open Golf is now due to take place at Carton House in Kildare that weekend.

I would be very surprised if Kildare County Council along with the Gardai will support a licence claim from MCD for that weekend as Gardai will not be available for both, transport problems, accomodation problems, toilet facilities for both events, security etc etc etc.

Are you sure you have been told not to book holidays because you may be working at the Irish Open and NOT Oxegen!!

karaokeman wrote: »
    Apparently we will be hearing an announcement before christmas, that is assuming the Stone Roses tickets sell out this week, I still think MCD should announce it immediately this is getting ridiculous.

Fears for Oxegen music festival as Stone Roses steal thunder

By Ken Sweeney
    Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Concert-goers have been left in the dark about the fate of the annual Oxegen music festival.

For the past seven years, the three-day music event has been the highlight of the Irish music calendar, attracting up to 80,000 music fans to Punchestown Racecourse, Co Kildare.

However, there was a significant drop in attendance this year.

Rumours of Oxegen's demise have spread rapidly, and last night a spokesman for promoters MCD could not confirm whether it will definitely go ahead next year. "An announcement on Oxegen 2012 will be made at a later date," he said.

However, one source hinted that the promoters have been holding off making any announcement until 40,000 tickets go on sale this morning for a highly anticipated reunion gig by Manchester band the Stone Roses in the Phoenix Park in Dublin on July 5.

"Once the Stone Roses tickets are gone, I'd expect an announcement on Oxegen, and it will come before Christmas," said the source.

The Stone Roses playing Phoenix Park instead of Punchestown sparked the rumours about the absence of an Oxegen 2012.

However, one concert source pointed out the '80s band play Dublin on a Thursday, which would not compete with Oxegen if it were to be staged that weekend. The same insider rubbished claims that "rival summer festival the Electric Picnic" had stolen a march on Oxegen by its sale of early bird tickets for the event taking place in Stradbally, Co Laois, between August 31 and September 2.

"MCD are involved with both festivals so it's inaccurate to say that the Electric Picnic is a rival festival to Oxegen," said the source.
    A possible rebranding of Oxegen and/or a different location are two other potential changes which have been suggested could be made to the festival.

I don't think Stone Roses will sell out before Christmas being honest. I strolled into a ticketmaster outlet in Cork today at 2.30pm and picked up tickets no problem.

If the above is accurate, then we should have news before Friday. Must say it seems doubtful!!

If an announcement does come before Christmas, does that mean tickets will go on sale in January??? Whatever chance they had of selling them before Christmas, they have no chance in January. Maybe they will hold ticket sales until March, after an announcement of all the acts. That would give 3 months to hype the festival in the media ever before tickets went on sale.

Personally, I would love Oxegen to take place on it's usual weekend in July. I'd head to Stone Roses on Thursday and make my way to Punchestown Friday morning for the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

If they where to announce Oxegen... They would need to announce all the bands in 1 go I would say... And put the tickets on sale early to get them sold... Also you can't have a lineup like last year, tbh it was lacking talent... Even though Foo Fighters where there, personally I didn't enjoy the gig due to playing alot of new songs and not the songs I wanted to hear so I left the pit... Eminem and Coldplay would sell the place out, especially with how big Coldplay are getting with this awesome new album... Both Eminem and Coldplay are the 2 best bands I have seen live.. (Going since 08).. Would also be great to see MGMT back, from what I hear the performance in 08 was amazing and I missed it :(... Also some Foster the People would be great.. Well thats just my thoughts on things anyways, hopefully they do announce another Oxegen but without big bands, it won't sell out.. Personally I would not like Stone Roses playing though...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If they where to announce Oxegen... They would need to announce all the bands in 1 go I would say... And put the tickets on sale early to get them sold... Also you can't have a lineup like last year, tbh it was lacking talent... Even though Foo Fighters where there, personally I didn't enjoy the gig due to playing alot of new songs and not the songs I wanted to hear so I left the pit... Eminem and Coldplay would sell the place out, especially with how big Coldplay are getting with this awesome new album... Both Eminem and Coldplay are the 2 best bands I have seen live.. (Going since 08).. Would also be great to see MGMT back, from what I hear the performance in 08 was amazing and I missed it :(... Also some Foster the People would be great.. Well thats just my thoughts on things anyways, hopefully they do announce another Oxegen but without big bands, it won't sell out.. Personally I would not like Stone Roses playing though...

Foo Fighters only played 6 new songs out of 22 set plus the gig was apart of the Wasting Light tour so it was expected you would get new songs.

Cant see Eminem coming back and he would'nt sell out Oxegen (it didnt sell out when he played in 2010) and the fact he has now played Belfast this year he would be better off doing Marlay Park

Same with Coldplay if they didnt sell out Oxegen this year they surely wont do it next year . Now im a big fan of Coldplay but the only reason Sunday sold out was because of Beyonce.

Repeat headliners are just a lazy booking for any promoter eg KOL (3 years in a row) , Paolo Nutini (3 years in a row) etc.

I think they will re-brand oxegen (if it happens next year) , they might wait till the new year to announce it but they could do what Reading and Leeds do and announce a massive chunk of the line up in 1 go which would include all the headliners , sub headliners and a few extra acts

This was Reading/Leeds first announcement

poster_launch_2011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Eminem is not a band, Stone Roses are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Eminem is not a band, Stone Roses are

Well you know what I mean, technically with Bad Meets Evil it is a band...

I can't see Oxegen selling any better whether they announce a huge chunk of the lineup at once or not.

Point is this year had many massive acts (Coldplay, Foos, Beyonce, Script, BEP) but it still only sold 40,000 tickets a good percentage of which went in the early bird sales.

It will be difficult for them to get as many big headliners next year. And with how poorly the festival sold based on its lineup this year MCD will be hard pushed to find a better lineup for next year that will sell better. Only hope they have is booking someone huge like U2/Metallica who would be unlikely to ever play Oxegen.

No announcements have been made for Oxegen 2012, not even the dates. It ain't gonna happen, Oxegen was good back in the day but like Witness all good things come to an end.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think oxegen will be on again, it might have a name change but at the moment MCD are doing a great job of generating alot of talk about oxegen for very little actual work. It might not be the same size as previous years but it will cater for the same crowd and i think it'll sell better as they can now market it as smaller/more exclusive.

I also think the venue will be punchestown again.

Probably completely wrong but just a feeling i have...

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think oxegen will be on again, it might have a name change but at the moment MCD are doing a great job of generating alot of talk about oxegen for very little actual work. It might not be the same size as previous years but it will cater for the same crowd and i think it'll sell better as they can now market it as smaller/more exclusive.

Exactly even though we have had no comment from MCD everyone is still talking about it . Punchestown is a good location for artists aswell (especially if they are playing in) easy access from the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I honestly can't see Oxegen happening next year.With Stone Roses headlining T In The Park and then MCD putting them in Phoenix Park over here,that is the biggest sign that it won't be happening in 2012.They will probably give it a break for one year,because as has been said many times on this thread, it has been going downhill big time,plus last year the attendance was bloody awful compared to previous years and it was easily noticeable around the site and i should know seeing as i have been going since Witnness '01

MCD must have lost a big amount of money on the festival in '11 and the i'm pretty sure they would have announced some acts for it before Christmas to get some tickets sold but that is unlikely to happen at this stage.They should downsize it big time,because it will be very hard to get it back to the heights it had,the way it is,especially with not many people willing to part with a couple of hundred euro to stand around in the muck at Punchestown for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Ian Dempsey just confirmed there will be no Oxegen in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

cee_jay wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey just confirmed there will be no Oxegen in 2012.
    Same with fm104 do yous say there will be many scangers at eletric picnic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

lordgoat wrote: »

Heh, usually the people I know would be dying to get their tickets but no-one gives two fcuks and is already planning for hitting England/Europe next summer.

And now I've read the post before this one. :pac:

OXEGEN CANCELLED FOR 2012 - OFFICIAL.

It appeared on the Irish Times website this morning before Ian Dempsey confirmed the news on Today FM at 7.45am.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1221/breaking1.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement

OXEGEN CANCELLED FOR 2012 - OFFICIAL.

It appeared on the Irish Times website this morning before Ian Dempsey confirmed the news on Today FM at 7.45am.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1221/breaking1.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thank God we can finally put this Oxegen-is-not-being-cancelled baloney to rest.

It was becoming increasingly obvious with the lack of announcements and the fact it sold so poorly this year.

I just hope now all there will be some good acts hitting the Phoenix Park if this series of gigs is to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

More eager than ever to see the EP lineup now

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Surely this announcement will only send some of the idiots that ruin Oxegen every year to Electric Picnic instead?

karaokeman wrote: »
    Thank God we can finally put this Oxegen-is-not-being-cancelled baloney to rest.

It was becoming increasingly obvious with the lack of announcements and the fact it sold so poorly this year.

I just hope now all there will be some good acts hitting the Phoenix Park if this series of gigs is to go ahead.

Well at least we can start planning our summer a little better now. I was holding off on the Chilli's at Croke Park until Oxegen decided what was happening. All we need now is confirmation regarding Slane and Coldplay at the Aviva!!!

Further confirmation of the Oxegen news can be seen here:

http://www.oxegen.ie/

http://www.facebook.com/oxegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭foggers

Vudgie wrote: »
    Surely this announcement will only send some of the idiots that ruin Oxegen every year to Electric Picnic instead?

I hope not. it's gettin worse every year there, this could be the ruination of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Vudgie wrote: »

I think it will, so hopefully there's no big mainstream hiphop/dance act or they'll be going in droves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Feck it, Electric Picnic is going to be the go to place for a lot of them now, gonna have to pack extra wanker repellent this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's funny the way they say "just like Glastonbury" when this year off for Glastonbury was planned well in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I was looking forward to more anthems by Amanda Brunker. :pac:

• Advertisement

393319_237016396367052_103438559724837_518782_1910839410_n.jpg

Suppose its gonna be weird not having it next year since i havent missed a year since 06 but i really does need a break to freshen up.

Advertisement