Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

penexpers wrote: »
    It's funny the way they say "just like Glastonbury" when this year off for Glastonbury was planned well in advance.

Same promoter! Festival Republic owns 40% of Glasto. Festival Republic in turn owned by Gaiety LN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

It's funny the way they say "just like Glastonbury" when this year off for Glastonbury was planned well in advance.

Reckon it was MCD's idea to write that note just as a last resort effort to save Oxegen's credibility.

You can't really blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

The reason Glastonbury is not on, according to Wikipedia, is to let the land recover and a break for the organisers, and this happens every 5/6 years. They have some cheek saying "like Glastonbury". Its because they can't sell the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

The year off for Glastonbury is to give the locals a break too,unbelievably tacky for MCD to compare it to Glastonbury,i mean Jesus......

It was a ****hole of a festival but at least it kept all the dopes in one place,handy that way

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gunni09

oxegen s cancelled lads, ill be going abroad anyway to get my dance on

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/1221/oxegen.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 RazorT

Cancelled due to Olympics robbing all their toilets!!!

Michael Eavis, the festival organiser, said there will be a severe shortage of portable toilets as the capital drains the nation of officers, forcing prices for the remaining few far higher than normal.

He also said Avon and Somerset Police recently warned him that not a single officer would be available to oversee the event due to the Games

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/8069257/Glastonbury-2012-cancelled-due-to-lack-of-portaloos-and-police.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Gunni09 wrote: »
    oxegen s cancelled lads, ill be going abroad anyway to get my dance on

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/1221/oxegen.html
    It took for oxegen to be cancelled for you to actually consider going abroad to a festival? If you do go abroad, you will see how **** oxegen is in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gunni09

It took for oxegen to be cancelled for you to actually consider going abroad to a festival? If you do go abroad, you will see how **** oxegen is in comparison.

Yes it took oxegen being canceled for me to go abroad, that is exactly what i said well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Glastonbury takes a break every 4 years to allow the land to recover, it is a working farm afterall. 2011 was scheduled to be the gap year but the festival went ahead this year as not alone the portaloos and police but lots of other logisitcs will be tied up in the Olympics.

This was known well in advance and well publicised and I think its a bit sad to see Oxegen piggybacking on Glastonbury's annoncement just because they have run into difficulty.

Like others here, I fully believe Oxegen will never return, but I do hope Electric Picnic manage to retain its non mainsteam status, and avoid trying to cash in on the usual punter Oxegen attracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Finally MCD have put an end to all this speculation. Thank you MCD, only took 6 months mind! :eek:

Anyway pretty funny of them to compare to Glasto. I think we all know why Glasto isn't on next year and it's not because Glasto can't sell tickets or because they lost money.

I doubt Oxegen will ever return, it's dead! 2013 was probably mentioned to save some face! Be interesting to see what replaces it or if EP 12 snaps up some of artists that would have otherwise played Oxegen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Like Glastonbury :pac:
    Oxegen shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as it.

MCD are gonna hold 6 concerts in the Phoenix Park next summer according to the Irish Times. Sooo

63 Euro x 6 concerts = 378 Euro

Good business MCD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I'm just wondering who will headline the other 5 concerts in the Phoenix Park.

I have a feeling they will book a good chunk of the same lineup TITP brings out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

So they've finally put an end to the speculation. And I'm wondering the same question, why did they wait this long?

It's a typical beat-around-the-bush MCD response. Sure Glastonbury is taking a year off, but it's not "like" Glastonbury in that they hardly share the same circumstances. MCD are essentially saying, look, another big festival is doing it, it has nothing to do with the diminished quality of the brand Oxegen.

Anyway I wonder if bookers and artists will be looking for an event that fills the Oxegen void? It will be interesting to see what Forbidden Fruit and Electric Picnic bring to the table. I would have liked to have seen MCD being a little creative with these Phoenix Park shows by adding additional (indoor) stages, like the O2 Wireless Festival in London.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea id hope MCD go down the route of having a mini festival at these Pheonix Park gigs as said like Hard Rock Calling , Wireless. Either with a smaller stage (for maybe a few Irish acts like BBC Introducing Stage at a few festivals in the UK but sponsored by RTE or something) or make it an all day event eg like Slane 1 headline act with 5 or so acts on the day before them instead of 2

Mr.S wrote: »
    Almost burst out laughing when I read the Glastonbury line this morning, obviously nothing like Glastonbury, its because it wasn't economically viable to run it this year.

Seems like MCD are playing it safe for a year and will most likely hold a handfull of big concerts that are sure to sell well (Coldplay, Rihanna etc).

I have a feeling EP's lineup will be filled with a lot more "mainstream" acts. Would be great to see Forbidden Fruit get some quality acts too.

I'm not TOO fussed about Oxegen being cancelled, plenty of better alternatives abroad around that time.

Yea i really happy FF is back next year , would love if they kinda went down the route of Rockness in Scotland , smaller festival but decent acts .

The one thing that is good about no OXegen is maybe some smaller festivals around Ireland might get a increase in sales

For the Foo Fighters you could walk quite comfortably from the top of the field to the sound/lightening desk. Coldplay was alot busier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Would also be great to see MGMT back, from what I hear the performance in 08 was amazing and I missed

MGMT were crap! they were in one of the bigger tents, the had to close the "doors" before they came on becaus it was wedged. good atmosphere, but MGMT were very poor. also people started climbing the structure of the tent, so they had to go off stage to force the people down. We, and a lot of people left early

No harm oxegen is gone. It was a shaddow if its former self. 2004/2005 were amazing (also I was 17/18 then so it helped!). 2007 was the year of "the muck" 2008 was my last year, and the first year i seen a noticeable increase of scumbags and 17 year old peroxide bimbos staggering over everyone. one almose got sick on me! I have mainly good memories of oxegen. I wonder will they rename it next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Skig_Sean

I wonder will they rename it next year

I reckon a change of sponsor could be on too. Vodafone take the reigns maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Skig_Sean wrote: »
    I reckon a change of sponsor could be on too. Vodafone take the reigns maybe?

I always wondered why O2 didn't sponsor Oxegen. It seemed... a bit obvious, tbh

• Advertisement

O'Doodle wrote: »
    For the Foo Fighters you could walk quite comfortably from the top of the field to the sound/lightening desk. Coldplay was alot busier.

Well if you think about who FF were up against which was Deamau5 which was a major act and was always gonna pull a lot of people over

Coldplay were up against Pendulum (who didnt get a very big crowd for some reason) . Deadmau5 is a lot bigger then Pendulum .
    Mr.S wrote: »
    FF is something great. A festival in the city, I really hope the organizers stick at it year after year and that its back next year. There was little wrong with it last year apart from the drink issue.

Yea it was so relaxing walking around i just hope with the increase in tents/stages it doesnt get to big for their boots too quickly . Yea the only major problem was the bars this year but in fairness to them they had it fixed by the following day
    Colm! wrote: »

A beer company is better to sponsor because they can sponsor and then make even more money back via selling drinks at over-hiked prices

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

looks like i'm going download again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Penfailed

looks like i'm going download again

I was thinking about it...but then I heard rumours of Sabbath at Phoenix Park :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Load of my friends want to go to Tomorrowland now
    **** that
    Reading or T for me

Should we change the title of the topic to Oxegen 20??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Sonisphere and Reading or Leeds was always on the cards for me (funds depending) Oxegen can go fudge itself after 2 terrible waste of money years I had there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Yea i really happy FF is back next year , would love if they kinda went down the route of Rockness in Scotland , smaller festival but decent acts .

The one thing that is good about no OXegen is maybe some smaller festivals around Ireland might get a increase in sales

Downside is that the scobes are going to look for another event to trash.

And I might not be popular saying this but anything that's on in the republic the weekend before the 12th July will attract the nordie hordes (like Oxegen used to).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Colm! wrote: »

Ehhh,it's a bit obvious isn't it. ;)

It's called Oxegen due to the main sponsor Heineken

Witnness was due to Guinness being the main sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Penfailed wrote: »
    I was thinking about it...but then I heard rumours of Sabbath at Phoenix Park :D

I'd be very happy to see that happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ehhh,it's a bit obvious isn't it. ;)

It's called Oxegen due to the main sponsor Heineken

Witnness was due to Guinness being the main sponsor

Not obvious at all in fairness

Advertisement