Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

nm wrote: »
    Not obvious at all in fairness

Yeah and Witness only had one n.. Awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Grindylow wrote: »

Incorrect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

false

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Tbh it's a bit stupid, dunno why they didn't call it the Heineken Music festival or something instead of trying to pretend it's not a commercial festival.

Remember when MCD said Oxegen was Ireland's version of Glastonbury lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

O'Doodle wrote: »

Wasn't it only a couple of days ago as an attempt to some how justify it not being on? I'm still laughing.

Anyway I think the naming is deliberately vague to get around some sponsorship laws especially as it is aimed at people who are under the drinking age. It took someone pointing it out to me that Oxegen was Heineken. The hint being the font in the logo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Tbh it's a bit stupid, dunno why they didn't call it the Heineken Music festival or something instead of trying to pretend it's not a commercial festival.

Nope not that stupid due to the fact you never know MCD may want to get a new sponsor or Heineken might want to oupt out then they need to get a new sponsor and name for the festival . Obviously with a name that isnt anything to do with the sponsor will be easier to get the name known and build up a reputation etc

Oxegen is in a way like Glastonbury in the fact that its the biggest festival in Ireland and always attracts massive names(love or hate them) like Glastonbury but would agree atmosphere is for Electric Picnic

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr.S wrote: »
    First i've ever heard of that o.O

amazingly it's actually true.

Worked for Guinness and Witnness. Didn't for oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I hardly doubt the reason Oxegen is cancelled is due to 'land recovery'. The reason is probably due to the costs of transport for all those bands, it'd be too expensive for them to fly from all over the place when normally they'd just be taking a short helicopter ride over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I hardly doubt the reason Oxegen is cancelled is due to 'land recovery'. The reason is probably due to the costs of transport for all those bands, it'd be too expensive for them to fly from all over the place when normally they'd just be taking a short helicopter ride over.

Don't think anyone said Oxegen was cancelled for land recovery did they?

That's why Glastonbury isn't on, but don't think that was the reason given for Oxegen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Never saw it that way, tbh. Just saw it as them trying to make it not sound that bad that they're taking the year off 'cause other festivals do it too.

But I'm a bit dim, so.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Penfailed

:lol: Awkward...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They didn't say that at all! They said that "like Glastonbury" they are taking a year out.

As it happens both Festivals share the same owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I thought it was

Door that way >>>>>>>
    First i've ever heard of that o.O

We all learn something new every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Oh dear... You seem to have egg on your face

But it just sounds like they are piggypacking on Glastonburys fame, and just because they do it, it means its ok but they are the most famous festival.

And they are partly run by the same umbrella, not fully (just to nitpick;))

Festival Republic have a non controlling stake in Glastonbury and is responsible for ticketing and the general logistics of running the festival. However all decisions related to what actually make the festival what it is is still controlled by Michael and Emily Eavis or people they've put in control of the various areas.

Effectively the people in charge of the toilets in Glastonbury run Oxegen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Im checking the TITP forum on efestivals and this made me laugh about if Bryan Adams played
    If he did play he would be opening the main stage on the Sunday, which is the tradition T has with the likes of The Stranglers, Eddie Grant etc.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bryan Adams opening the main stage? ha

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Interesting to see how much action EP picks up on the back of Oxegen taking a year out (skeptical myself as to it ever reappearing in it's former guise tbh).

There should be more headline bands out there for them now, but do they want to change from their brand of getting one "big name" and then an eclectic mix of smaller acts. Tough one for them to pitch right so they don't alienate their current fans while still brining in some new followers this year.

I await the line-ups with interest. Is there any thread on here for 'festival rumours' or similar??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Will EP increase it's capacity as a result of the Oxe announcement. That is the crucial question. Because there was always an element who went for the piss up. If they are only selling just over 32,500 tickets they may well sell-out quite quickly.

MCD will have to announce the Phoenix Park gigs sooner rather than later to avoid this (i.e. losing Oxegen goes to EP) happening (even though MCD does have some part in organising EP).

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

I'm hoping EP doesn't turn into Oxegen. Some good headliners, irish bands (not the coronas), smaller bands, loadsa electro dj's, and a helluva lotta art and speech :)

It'll still only be 32,000 people at the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So we're getting the Phoenix Park gigs instead I guess, any idea who'll be there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

ShaneU wrote: »
    So we're getting the Phoenix Park gigs instead I guess, any idea who'll be there?

We already know the Stone Roses are one.

Common guesses for the rest appear to be Kasabian, Killers, Rihanna, Lady GaGa, Snow Patrol, Kanye West, The Darkness, Foo Fighters etc.

Personally I would love to get some surprises, maybe along the lines of Elton John (playing UK next summer and I need to see him at a gig).

I would also be interested in seeing Beady Eye or Muse two bands I reckon would be better off doing festivals this summer and then a theatre/arena tour to follow not the other way around.

U2 hopefully could do a residency, hopefully a Glastonbury style performance just with all the hits and if any new songs hopefully we will just hear Every Breaking Wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

karaokeman wrote: »
    We already know the Stone Roses are one.

Common guesses for the rest appear to be Kasabian, Killers, Rihanna, Lady GaGa, Snow Patrol, Kanye West, The Darkness, Foo Fighters etc.

Personally I would love to get some surprises, maybe along the lines of Elton John (playing UK next summer and I need to see him at a gig).

I would also be interested in seeing Beady Eye or Muse two bands I reckon would be better off doing festivals this summer and then a theatre/arena tour to follow not the other way around.

U2 hopefully could do a residency, hopefully a Glastonbury style performance just with all the hits and if any new songs hopefully we will just hear Every Breaking Wave.
    Residency means they play every night, obviously not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

http://www.hotpress.com/The-Music-Show/news/MCD-talk-Oxegens-cancellation/8752395.html?new_layout=1
    Sat alongside the likes of Louis Walsh and promoter John Giddings, Caroline Downey-Desmond spoke frankly on a Music Show live music panel today about the reasons why Oxegen is not going ahead this year.
    "We have huge issues with costs that they don't have in the UK," she began.

"For example, the reason Oxegen isn't going ahead this year is solely to do with costs," she admitted. "It's to do with the council, it's to do with the Garda costs. It's outrageous, we can not do it any more. We'd have to up your ticket prices, kids wouldn't be able to afford we'd afford it.

"We try to give value for money, and it costs a huge amount in infrastructure. We do more than they ever have to do in Europe and it's still not enough. They insist on a huge amount of guards that do nothing actually when they're down there, because the security do the bulk of it. They don't seem to have that problem for Electric Picnic, the guards seem to work much better with them."

She also stated that the loss of Oxegen in 2012 would cost Kildare "millions".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

honru wrote: »

I didn't even know they still printed Hotpress, surely they must be losing money these days.

Yes, I wonder why more guards are required for Oxegen over EP/European gigs, because Europe just doesn't have the same quality of scumbags we have.

She's probably right about the guards doing nothing when they get there though.

honru wrote: »

So vague and deceptive.

They should just admit Oxegen was losing money and the attendance last year was discouraging.

What happened to the "Oh we're just like Glastonbury.. no really" line about the year out?

She's basically complaining that they've to foot the bill for state resources. If they didn't pick this up I'd suspect the millions figure might be what it cost Kildare Coco. Thanks to the reputation of Oxegen, created by actual incidents on the site, if they don't have a huge amount of Gardai present AND something major were to happen (like a riot or crush) the backlash would be huge. Saying the Gardai don't do anything when they are down there is just ignorant. It is as blind as someone saying "we don't need insurance because nothing has ever happened to us".

I'm afraid this is just the logical conclusion to the decisions made to make Oxegen more profitable. A high density of punters and then milking them for money to the point that many people don't eat or drink properly down there and binge up in the campsite before going to the arena to avoid paying for booze.

Sorry MCD but the cash cow that was Oxegen during the boom is dead. It doesn't have to end here though... you can still make a whole lot of money on it just as long as you are willing to make slightly less as you used to:
    • Redesign the campsite with more space, better walkways, better attended facilities.
    • Hire security who are trained in customer service and who are willing to listen to complaints about trouble before it gets to the stage there is a problem.
    • Charge caterers less fees if they agree to provide low cost, high quality fare.
    • Take less cash from beer corporations who insist on removing all competition and choice from what is available in the arena.
    • Consider moving the event to somewhere with better infrastructure so Dublin bus doesn't fleece kids with 200%+ fare increases.

There's probably a whole lot more but the aim should be to move away from treating people like animals so they don't act like animals. If you want to compare yourself to Glastonbury maybe take those leafs from their book. The council might be a bit more favourable to you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Don't spend a few grand on a bloody Ferris Wheel then

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭BangBeater

Toast wrote: »
    What happened to the "Oh we're just like Glastonbury.. no really" line about the year out?

She's basically complaining that they've to foot the bill for state resources. If they didn't pick this up I'd suspect the millions figure might be what it cost Kildare Coco. Thanks to the reputation of Oxegen, created by actual incidents on the site, if they don't have a huge amount of Gardai present AND something major were to happen (like a riot or crush) the backlash would be huge. Saying the Gardai don't do anything when they are down there is just ignorant. It is as blind as someone saying "we don't need insurance because nothing has ever happened to us".

I'm afraid this is just the logical conclusion to the decisions made to make Oxegen more profitable. A high density of punters and then milking them for money to the point that many people don't eat or drink properly down there and binge up in the campsite before going to the arena to avoid paying for booze.

Sorry MCD but the cash cow that was Oxegen during the boom is dead. It doesn't have to end here though... you can still make a whole lot of money on it just as long as you are willing to make slightly less as you used to:
    • Redesign the campsite with more space, better walkways, better attended facilities.
    • Hire security who are trained in customer service and who are willing to listen to complaints about trouble before it gets to the stage there is a problem.
    • Charge caterers less fees if they agree to provide low cost, high quality fare.
    • Take less cash from beer corporations who insist on removing all competition and choice from what is available in the arena.
    • Consider moving the event to somewhere with better infrastructure so Dublin bus doesn't fleece kids with 200%+ fare increases.

There's probably a whole lot more but the aim should be to move away from treating people like animals so they don't act like animals. If you want to compare yourself to Glastonbury maybe take those leafs from their book. The council might be a bit more favourable to you then.

True that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Toast wrote: »

This is so true. I love Oxegen, always a good few mates head down and enjoy some jars and great music, but it doesn't compare to the UK fests. I always feel Oxegen get a great lineup and sell their tickets and then basically say "right, set up your tent there in the field and don't forget to lock up when you leave on Monday". In the UK they actually make you feel like there's more then just drinking in fields going on.

Case in point, Oxegen this year, on Saturday I only really wanted to see Arctic Monkeys so we were around the campsite all day, by the time we were leaving at around 7.30 I think there was still loads of people about the place. I went to V in August, and was going to Eminem on the Saturday, by 6 o'clock the campsite was pretty much deserted, everyone was down enjoying themselves, going to acts or comedy tent among other things. The food is excellent and the beer is reasonably priced. And this is V, which a lot of people feel doesn't put in much effort to catering for it's patrons. I can only imagine the likes of Glastonbury are even better.
    That said, I really hope Oxegen comes back next year. It's nice having a big festival just a bus journey away

• Advertisement

I really hope Oxegen comes back next year. It's nice having a big festival just a bus journey away

It won't, Oxegen is a dead duck.

There will more than likely be a new festival in the 120,000 capacity part of the Phoenix Park depending on the success of the current set of gigs that are to take place this year.

I prefer Dublin to Kildare anyways and it would be better commuting-wise for most of the people who will go.

Advertisement