Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

karaokeman wrote: »
    It won't, Oxegen is a dead duck.

There will more than likely be a new festival in the 120,000 capacity part of the Phoenix Park depending on the success of the current set of gigs that are to take place this year.

I prefer Dublin to Kildare anyways and it would be better commuting-wise for most of the people who will go.

There wont be a camping festival in the Phoenix Park, too close to the city.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i wouldnt rule out another Oxegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Toast wrote: »
    What happened to the "Oh we're just like Glastonbury.. no really" line about the year out?

She's basically complaining that they've to foot the bill for state resources. If they didn't pick this up I'd suspect the millions figure might be what it cost Kildare Coco. Thanks to the reputation of Oxegen, created by actual incidents on the site, if they don't have a huge amount of Gardai present AND something major were to happen (like a riot or crush) the backlash would be huge. Saying the Gardai don't do anything when they are down there is just ignorant. It is as blind as someone saying "we don't need insurance because nothing has ever happened to us".

I'm afraid this is just the logical conclusion to the decisions made to make Oxegen more profitable. A high density of punters and then milking them for money to the point that many people don't eat or drink properly down there and binge up in the campsite before going to the arena to avoid paying for booze.

Sorry MCD but the cash cow that was Oxegen during the boom is dead. It doesn't have to end here though... you can still make a whole lot of money on it just as long as you are willing to make slightly less as you used to:
    • Redesign the campsite with more space, better walkways, better attended facilities.
    • Hire security who are trained in customer service and who are willing to listen to complaints about trouble before it gets to the stage there is a problem.
    • Charge caterers less fees if they agree to provide low cost, high quality fare.
    • Take less cash from beer corporations who insist on removing all competition and choice from what is available in the arena.
    • Consider moving the event to somewhere with better infrastructure so Dublin bus doesn't fleece kids with 200%+ fare increases.

There's probably a whole lot more but the aim should be to move away from treating people like animals so they don't act like animals. If you want to compare yourself to Glastonbury maybe take those leafs from their book. The council might be a bit more favourable to you then.

With all due respect, it is clear that you know nothing about festival organisation. Absolutely zilch. I would suggest doing a little more research into festival organisation and economics before posting.

The real problem with Irish festivals is the behaviour of the Irish music fan and nobody seems to want to have a look at the mirror.

* Campsites - laid out to a standard that is sliced and diced by multiple authorities. The campsites are photographed from the air all during the festival and monitored by the relevant authorities,
    * Security aren't supposed to be nice, In any case, Irish music fans seem to take exception to direction.
    * Festival food is what it is and it's got a lot better over the years.
    * Pouring rights are pretty standard at Irish and UK festivals and essential revenue stream.
    * I don't think Punchestown is a great site. It is a racecourse afterall. However, it is a convenient location for access.

Unfortunately, the average fan drinks too much and behaves obnoxiously as a result and that has a direct impact on the policing requirements and the red tape when it comes to health and safety requirements.

Of course the reality is that people have no money for festivals either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BrianD wrote: »
    The real problem with Irish festivals is the behaviour of the Irish music fan and nobody seems to want to have a look at the mirror.

Absolutely. You wont find a bigger gang of idiots anywhere in the world than at Oxegen. Although I was at the Sex Pistols gig at the Electric Picnic a few years ago when people were throwing glass bottles at the band! :eek:

Also same for the disgraceful behaviour at Guns n Roses a few years back in the O2. Ive been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs. I could go on and on. We're dreadful most of the time.

Oxegen don't help themselves though and I hope it stays closed. Its a ****hole of a "festival". No late night areas, everybody herded back to the campsites at the same time like cattle, overpriced etc.

A terrible, terrible place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I would suggest doing a little more research into festival organisation and economics before posting.

What I wrote was an opinion not a business plan. I may have addressed it as a proposal but that was for effect. Apparently too effective but just to be clear I haven't been directly involved in event organisation nor was I pretending to be.

I don't disagree however my point was I felt the issues have been compounded as a result of the decisions made with the running of the festival. There are drunk kids in the UK and Europe.. what makes our festivals so different? More specifically what makes the difference between Oxegen and the other Irish festivals?

My suggestions were based around changing the idea of the festival as a post leaving cert pissup. I made them knowing what is there at the moment is the norm and complies with regulations but I feel that isn't good enough.

My theory is change it up to become a more pleasant experience and you'll get a wider spread of types going and an overall change of behaviour for the better.

As you pointed out I don't know the figures and I'd be surprised if you do (or were willing to share them if you did) but as there are profitable festivals who use these models here and in the UK I'd like to think it can happen. Can we at least agree what Oxegen was can no longer work but something can come from it that might?

• Advertisement

Toast wrote: »
    What I wrote was an opinion not a business plan. I may have addressed it as a proposal but that was for effect. Apparently too effective but just to be clear I haven't been directly involved in event organisation nor was I pretending to be.

I don't disagree however my point was I felt the issues have been compounded as a result of the decisions made with the running of the festival. There are drunk kids in the UK and Europe.. what makes our festivals so different? More specifically what makes the difference between Oxegen and the other Irish festivals?

My suggestions were based around changing the idea of the festival as a post leaving cert pissup. I made them knowing what is there at the moment is the norm and complies with regulations but I feel that isn't good enough.

My theory is change it up to become a more pleasant experience and you'll get a wider spread of types going and an overall change of behaviour for the better.

As you pointed out I don't know the figures and I'd be surprised if you do (or were willing to share them if you did) but as there are profitable festivals who use these models here and in the UK I'd like to think it can happen. Can we at least agree what Oxegen was can no longer work but something can come from it that might?

Fair enough.

I have a relative who has attended festivals in Spain. He would describe the organisation as appalling and slip shod. However, they get away with it as the average punter doesn't rock in with a couple of slabs of beer and drink himself into a stupor and then act the maggot. You don't see that level of binge drinking that you see here (or the UK for that matter).

I've worked at most Irish festivals and that is my opinion - you just look around and go what the hell? And that includes the boutique festivals which are just a little better because the crowd is somewhat older and a little more self policing?

We are dealing with a society where some people think boarding a train is an excuse for a piss up. No wonder it gets out of control at festival. In any case, people in Spain, Belgium and Serbia bring their own booze into festival campsites. They pay for their own booze in the arenas (generally) and as I recall the average price of a beer or wine is about 5 or 5.50 so not significantly more expensive than pub prices. So bar prices are a bit of a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Bring back Feile or Trip to Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

It's outrageous, we can not do it any more.

This, to me anyway, suggests that Oxegen is dead and wont be back. At least not for a few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

ratedR wrote: »
    This, to me anyway, suggests that Oxegen is dead and wont be back. At least not for a few years anyway.

If Oxegen is gone for a few years it won't come back.

It will more than likely be branded with a new name.

(P.S. The TITP lineup is rubbish:cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Why don't they just make it so the scum can't afford it? - Price them out of the market.

Say 350 Euro. That includes top, top acts that won't play anywhere else in Ireland that year. It includes no day ticket scum - who from experience are all mostly pissed/stoned before they even arrive.

• Advertisement

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Why don't they just make it so the scum can't afford it? - Price them out of the market.

Say 350 Euro. That includes top, top acts that won't play anywhere else in Ireland that year. It includes no day ticket scum - who from experience are all mostly pissed/stoned before they even arrive.

People could'nt afford the price last year which was roughly €250? Then you expect people to pay an extra €100??? People will just go to Electric Picnic instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

That includes top, top acts...

Opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Mr.S wrote: »

You are assuming scum = poor and the rich are all well behaved :rolleyes:

--

Oxegen (if MCD choose to continue it) needs to scale down a bit, make it 2.5 days with no arriving a day or 2 early.

Get rid of the crap funfair stuff.

Reduce the number of stages, to many IMO.

Reduce campsite/area size with properly laid out campsites, none of this free for all camp wherever you want when you arrive thing.

Organize a good ticket payment plan, the current one is still a bit high for students.

Get the lineup right. Realize that the oxegen crowd want chart, whats hot on the radio etc. Sunday last year proved that.

Would be a shame to see Oxegen go, Ireland needs a mainstream festival, EP isn't an alternative.

You have it spot on man, spot on!! Ireland needs Oxegen. Tbh, a move back to fairyhouse and €200 weekend tickets or turn it into a 2.5 day festival would have been suffice.

You have it spot on man, spot on!! Ireland needs Oxegen. Tbh, a move back to fairyhouse and €200 weekend tickets or turn it into a 2.5 day festival would have been suffice.

Whats the difference between Fairyhouse or Punchestown since both are racecourses .

I think the reason Punchestown is good is because it easy for artists to get to via motorway . If you are coming from the airport its easy enough to get to .

ANyways yea Ireland needs a Oxegen style festival . Even if they have T-Vital as more of the commercial music and rename/brand Oxegen as more of a Rock festival (Reading/Leeds) Indie , Alternative , Metal etc . Downscale it and build it up

I don't think they need to move Oxegen, Punchestown is fine and its easy to get too.

That said, a festival in Phoenix Park would be amazing.

But they would'nt be able to do camping . Personally since im from Kildare , the location for Oxegen was great :D , but if it moved to somewhere like PP id be happy and just book into a hostel for the weekend since it would be cheaper . Would cost about €60 for the weekend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Didn't Fairyhouse have drainage issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

A travelling music festival that moved somewhere different each year in Ireland would be pretty awesome!

I've only been to Oxegen (Punchestown) once and to be honest I don't think I'd go back. If it was somewhere different each year it might keep the interest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Saw them at Oxegen 2007. I thought they were irredeemably dull.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Saw them at Oxegen 2007. I thought they were irredeemably dull.

They're complete ****e. A nothing band. Unit shifters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Don't particularily like them either but all my friends wanted to go see them so I went too. I know a few of their songs and that sing a long was really enjoyable.

Anyway the point I was making is the fact that there is no oxegen this year makes me a sad panda :(

MadYaker wrote: »
    Don't particularily like them either but all my friends wanted to go see them so I went too. I know a few of their songs and that sing a long was really enjoyable.

Anyway the point I was making is the fact that there is no oxegen this year makes me a sad panda :(

Dont fancy the Picnic no?

Line up is a bit meh in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Interesting article in Friday's Irish Examiner giving an indication of what Oxegen was worth to MCD.

According to Pollstar, Oxegen generated the fifth biggest box office across the world outside the US last year, with 191,656 or 95% of tickets sold, generating €14.7m in revenue.

This compares to Oxegen being the fourth highest grossing box office event in 2010, with 225,000 or 97% of tickets sold (increased capacity in 2010) generating €16.4m in revenue to see Jay-Z, the Black Eyed Peas, and other acts.

The figures also show MCD’s sold-out Kings of Leon gig at Slane Castle last year generated ticket sales of €5.7m, while the promoter’s Neil Diamond Dublin gig last June was the 98th highest grossing concert outside the US, generating revenues of €2.4m, with 89% of tickets sold.

Mr Desmond said Oxegen will return next year. "We are resting Oxegen for one year. Glastonbury is doing the same and Oxegen will be back in 2013."

Mr Desmond said the costs of staging Oxegen, including insurance and policing, "are very high". "We need to lower our overheads with Oxegen, but it will be back next year."

Oxegen produces a yearly dividend of €40m for the Kildare area.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/mcd-back-in-the-black-thanks-to-8-increase-in-ticket-sales-194289.html#ixzz1vVcytFu9

95% of tickets sold last year?

I don't believe that at all.

I like how they are clinging to the "Glastonbury takes a break as wel!!!!" line. Glasto takes a break for the fields to recover, not due to poor sales ;)

Irish gigs have always appeared in the Billboard top grossing gigs for years. Worth noting that it is "grossing" which obviously does not equate to profit.

Interesting on how they count ticket sales at festivals.

As for Glastonbury, given that Desmond is now behind Glasto could you blame him for using the same line?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Anyone know what percentage of income ticket sales are? I always assumed they were quite low and the majority of the money coming in was from sponsorship. I doubt €14m would cover the artists' fees tbh, but I have nothing to base that on.

Unless im reading it wrong, the article is saying that Oxegen 2011 was 95% sold?

Can't see how thats true, the festival was very under sold until the last day.

Bear in mind it's the 2010 event and not the 2011 one.

Unless im reading it wrong, the article is saying that Oxegen 2011 was 95% sold?

Can't see how thats true, the festival was very under sold until the last day.

No my reading of that article is exactly the same.
    Oxegen generated the fifth biggest box office across the world outside the US last year, with 191,656 or 95% of tickets sold, generating €14.7m in revenue.

This compares to Oxegen being the fourth highest grossing box office event in 2010

Note the "last year" underlined is being "compared" to Oxegen 2010, so it is clear they are claiming Oxegen 2011 (not 2010) was 95% sold.

Can't see any way the journalist could substantiate that claim, its a poor attempt for MCD to avoid the stick over poorly selling and promoting an event.

And seriously now the "like Glastonbury" line is gone old :mad:

No my reading of that article is exactly the same.

Note the "last year" underlined is being "compared" to Oxegen 2010, so it is clear they are claiming Oxegen 2011 (not 2010) was 95% sold.

Can't see any way the journalist could substantiate that claim, its a poor attempt for MCD to avoid the stick over poorly selling and promoting an event.

And seriously now the "like Glastonbury" line is gone old :mad:

Are the figures not from Pollstar? Then again it's quite possible that the event capacity was lowered. Everybody assumes that they were seeking to sell 80,000 tickets based on previous years and the licensed capacity of the venue.

What ever you might say about sales you can't say that they didn't promote it well.

Are the figures not from Pollstar? Then again it's quite possible that the event capacity was lowered. Everybody assumes that they were seeking to sell 80,000 tickets based on previous years and the licensed capacity of the venue.

What ever you might say about sales you can't say that they didn't promote it well.

Fair enough it was promoted well, most people just didn't have €240 to be throwing around with the recession and all that.

Can't understand why they would lower the event capacity, MCD needed to recoup the money for all the massive acts they booked after all (Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Slash, Beady Eye, The Script, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, etc etc).

• Advertisement

Fair enough it was promoted well, most people just didn't have €240 to be throwing around with the recession and all that.

Can't understand why they would lower the event capacity, MCD needed to recoup the money for all the massive acts they booked after all (Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Slash, Beady Eye, The Script, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, etc etc).

Suppose the reason for reducing capacity is to save money. 1 stage gone means a lot of money saved . I agree that they seemed to throw all their toys into one basket last year with all thos big acts

Advertisement