Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

If oxegen doesn't return next year it will just be re-branded with a new shiny name but talk of it being binned all together are rubbish.

Didn't attend this year as a lot of my friends but this was not because of oxegen it was simply because money is still pretty tight!

Anyway I heard that Deadmou5 and Calvin Harris were brilliant this year, so I was told anyway, so them to return for me next year would be nice.

The kooks would also be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I for one hope Amanda Brunker makes a return... Maybe she'll have her first album released by then too! - JOKE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Sofa King wrote: »
    I for one hope Amanda Brunker makes a return... Maybe she'll have her first album released by then too! - JOKE!

:mad: That $hit is not funny :mad::mad:

Don't joke!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Sofa King wrote: »

I wouldn't mind maybe Miley Cyrus but certainly not Amanda Brunker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

karaokeman wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind maybe Miley Cyrus but certainly not Amanda Brunker.

You cannot be serious?
    Anyway I heard that Deadmou5 and Calvin Harris were brilliant this year, so I was told anyway, so them to return for me next year would be nice.

Heard Deadmau5 was shít, Calvin Harris was all kinds of epic, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

baz2009 wrote: »
    You cannot be serious?

Dont no how anyone could choose him over these guys is beyond me :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Dont no how anyone could choose him over these guys is beyond me :D:D

That's what I said! The Foos were the best two hours of my life.

That's what I said! The Foos were the best two hours of my life.

Yup , They have def gotten to the stage of being one of the best big live acts going imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Deadmau5 really was ****. Seriously underwhelmed. Calvin Harris was awesome, jammed though.

Deadmau5 really was ****. Seriously underwhelmed. Calvin Harris was awesome, jammed though.

Didn't hear great reviews about Calvin Harris but Deadmau5 ain't my cup of tea.

Maybe Kings of Leon would be another good headliner. Now there's another band I must see them before I die.

• Advertisement

Didn't hear great reviews about Calvin Harris but Deadmau5 ain't my cup of tea.

Maybe Kings of Leon would be another good headliner. Now there's another band I must see them before I die.

Dont worry you will have that chance since they play Ireland every year. If the line up is KOL/Killers/RHCP then it will def me me going to sonisphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gaga_lfc

Right to start off, deadmau5 was unbelievable and calvin harris was unbelievable cant believe people on this said they wernt the best :| weird people.. but swedish house mafia stole oxegen, they were simply unreal cant get over how brilliant they were. coldplay and beyonce were amazing aswel, all of the above have to be there next year to make it good... and keep it a 4 day!!!

Sadly U2 will never do Oxegen , they will only do their own gigs

U2 will ultimately have to play Oxegen. Adam Clayton did reveal in an interview that U2 are sick of always playing stadiums and they would like to do something different for the next 10 years. Its either that or they play the O2 because they've done all the other great Irish venues, Croke Park (10 times), Landsdowne, Slane, Phoenix Park.
    be surprised if it goes ahead next year tbh

Seriously whats with all the Oxegen hate?

This year's lineup was reasonable by all means and its still better than Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

This year's lineup was reasonable by all means and its still better than Electric Picnic.

People are not hating Oxegen itself. The line up was alright. Catered for most people. The number of people going to Oxegen has gone down shockingly in the past few years. Most people dont think Oxegen has the numbers to be sustainable from a business perspective. I think a year or two gap would do it some good although with Glastonbury not being on next year they could easily wait till 2014.

bren2001 wrote: »
    People are hating Oxegen itself. The line up was alright. Catered for most people. The number of people going to Oxegen has gone down shockingly in the past few years. Most people dont think Oxegen has the numbers to be sustainable from a business perspective. I think a year or two gap would do it some good although with Glastonbury not being on next year they could easily wait till 2014.

The reason few people came to Oxegen was because of the recession.

I'd say its more likely it will revert back to being a two-day festival next year than being replaced and rebranded with a new festival of a more modern name, just so long as the prices drop low enough.

The reason few people came to Oxegen was because of the recession.

I'd say its more likely it will revert back to being a two-day festival next year than being replaced and rebranded with a new festival of a more modern name, just so long as the prices drop low enough.

There was a typo in my comment, meant to read are not.

I dont think its just down to the recession. The numbers have been dwindling since 2007. I dont know how hard the recession has hit most young people. Most of my friends could find the money to go. Most of them didnt go because they just were not bothered.

There was a typo in my comment, meant to read are not.

I dont think its just down to the recession. The numbers have been dwindling since 2007. I dont know how hard the recession has hit most young people. Most of my friends could find the money to go. Most of them didnt go because they just were not bothered.

Im pretty sure either 07 or 08 sold out or just about sold out. I do agree though this year there was a serious downfall in attendance this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it really, really isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Er.......... no! The line up for EP this year is crazy! Infinitely superior to Oxygen!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joeys94

Something small I quickly threw together..
    Line up is based on what I've read, whats wanted new, and personal preference..Hope you all like!! :)

oxegen2012posterlineupi.jpg

• Advertisement

Joeys94 wrote: »
    Something small I quickly threw together..
    Line up is based on what I've read, whats wanted new, and personal preference..Hope you all like!! :)

I don't think The Script would be that low down after sub-headlining this year.

And The Killers would not come before Blink 182 considering the fact blink still haven't sold out the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joeys94

I don't think The Script would be that low down after sub-headlining this year.

And The Killers would not come before Blink 182 considering the fact blink still haven't sold out the O2.

Both good points, didn't put much thought into the order, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Kings of Leon will be broken up by this time next year anyway :P

Only if QOTSA, Green Day or (in the extremely unlikely scenario) Metallica or A7X play Oxegen would I even consider going back after the last 2 terrible years. I just really hate the Irish crowds and influx of drunken scumbags

Im pretty sure either 07 or 08 sold out or just about sold out. I do agree though this year there was a serious downfall in attendance this year

You saw the massive debate on the Oxegen 2011 thread, as far as I am aware the last time it sold out was 07. The numbers have gone down each year since then. It could easily be 08 though.

Only if QOTSA, Green Day or (in the extremely unlikely scenario) Metallica or A7X play Oxegen would I even consider going back after the last 2 terrible years. I just really hate the Irish crowds and influx of drunken scumbags

I don't think it will be Green Day. They still have a bit of work left to do on their next studio album, I'd say Oxegen 2013 would be more likely for them.

Metallica would be another good option for Oxegen. Considering the falling numbers of people who go, it would be a good business decision for Oxegen to bring in someone of global popularity, who is bigger than Oxegen itself is worth or just some mad stadium slayer.

U2 and Take That as unlikely as they are would attract thousands upon thousands to Oxegen and be a major helper in allowing the festival to sell out.

The RHCP wouldn't be too bad. Its very difficult to measure their popularity considering they sold out the Phoenix Park AND Slane on the same tour.
    You saw the massive debate on the Oxegen 2011 thread, as far as I am aware the last time it sold out was 07. The numbers have gone down each year since then. It could easily be 08 though.

I don't think it sold out in either 07 or 08.

It sold out in 05 when Green Day and Foo Fighters headlined but I guess it was only a 2-day festival back then so that would probably explain why this was the case.

Yea i only noticed the numbers going down this year since i was working at it last year.

As people have said if there is no "Oxegen" there will be some sort of replacemment festival on a smaller scale

I don't think it will be Green Day. They still have a bit of work left to do on their next studio album, I'd say Oxegen 2013 would be more likely for them.

Metallica would be another good option for Oxegen. Considering the falling numbers of people who go, it would be a good business decision for Oxegen to bring in someone of global popularity, who is bigger than Oxegen itself is worth or just some mad stadium slayer.

U2 and Take That as unlikely as they are would attract thousands upon thousands to Oxegen and be a major helper in allowing the festival to sell out.

The RHCP wouldn't be too bad. Its very difficult to measure their popularity considering they sold out the Phoenix Park AND Slane on the same tour.

I don't think it sold out in either 07 or 08.

It sold out in 05 when Green Day and Foo Fighters headlined but I guess it was only a 2-day festival back then so that would probably explain why this was the case.

It sold out in an hour in 2007, I remember it well. My First Oxegen, had to take off a few classes to get my ticket.

Do Green Day have that much work left on the next album? I know they have written the bulk of their songs while touring. I think they are very possible for Slane or Oxegen next year.

Take That or U2 would not play Oxegen if Oxegen could get them they would. It wouldn't shock me if Madonna played next year after Beyonces sucess last year. She has a new album as far as I am aware coming out soon. It will be a terrible terrible moment if she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

U2 aren't going to play Oxegen 2012 unless they are getting some serious financial return for it because rumour has it they will be playing Croke Park dates or Slane in 2012.

It sold out in an hour in 2007, I remember it well. My First Oxegen, had to take off a few classes to get my ticket.

Do Green Day have that much work left on the next album? I know they have written the bulk of their songs while touring. I think they are very possible for Slane or Oxegen next year.

Take That or U2 would not play Oxegen if Oxegen could get them they would. It wouldn't shock me if Madonna played next year after Beyonces sucess last year. She has a new album as far as I am aware coming out soon. It will be a terrible terrible moment if she does.

Well its 50/50 on Green Day playing really. I guess they could always do festivals next summer as part of a warm-up leg before their albums release in the autumn. Lots of bands do it this way, RHCP, Coldplay to mention but a few. But I'm still more up for Green Day doing Slane with a good round of support acts.

I know Take That are unlikely as are U2. But Robbie Williams has a new album coming out and he's played the Phoenix Park and Slane. And we all know Slane are usually the most snobbery about allowing pop acts to play on their grounds so if Robbie played there I see no reason why he can't play Oxegen. I just suggested Take That because Robbie on his own wouldn't be enough to sell out Oxegen but there may be a better chance if they perform with him.

Yes Madonna is certainly a possibility. As much as I can't stand her music, she would be a huge help in increasing the ticket sales.
    O'Doodle wrote: »
    U2 aren't going to play Oxegen 2012 unless they are getting some serious financial return for it because rumour has it they will be playing Croke Park dates or Slane in 2012.

I could understand them doing Slane because they haven't played there for 10 years but I seriously can't understand why U2 would be playing Croke Park.

They've played Croker 10 times in total;

Once in 1985 on the Unforgettable Fire tour summer shows
    Two dates in 1987 on the Joshua Tree tour
    One date in 2003 for the Special Olympics in Dublin
    Three dates in 2005 on the Vertigo tour
    Three dates in 2009 on the 360 tour

Besides Adam Clayton said its unlikely they will be doing a ridiculous stadium tour in future since the 360 tour was so much hassle and so expensive to organise. He also spoke about them playing arenas so I wouldn't rule out a round of dates at the O2 for U2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Joeys94 wrote: »

Some people must not have very realistic expectations... sorry, I cringe when I see these DIY posters.

Advertisement