Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joeys94

Some people must not have very realistic expectations... sorry, I cringe when I see these DIY posters.

I made it for fun, I also cringe when some sad people feel the need to put down people's work. Everybody can have their expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

karaokeman wrote: »
    I don't think it will be Green Day. They still have a bit of work left to do on their next studio album, I'd say Oxegen 2013 would be more likely for them.

Metallica would be another good option for Oxegen. Considering the falling numbers of people who go, it would be a good business decision for Oxegen to bring in someone of global popularity, who is bigger than Oxegen itself is worth or just some mad stadium slayer.

U2 and Take That as unlikely as they are would attract thousands upon thousands to Oxegen and be a major helper in allowing the festival to sell out.

The RHCP wouldn't be too bad. Its very difficult to measure their popularity considering they sold out the Phoenix Park AND Slane on the same tour.

I don't think it sold out in either 07 or 08.

It sold out in 05 when Green Day and Foo Fighters headlined but I guess it was only a 2-day festival back then so that would probably explain why this was the case.

I genuinely think I would laugh my balls off if Take That were announced as a headliner for Oxegen.

RHCP makes bits of Take That all day everyday, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

baz2009 wrote: »
    I genuinely think I would laugh my balls off if Take That were announced as a headliner for Oxegen.

Seriously I cannot understand why some people still treat Take That like a boyband.

The whole reason they became so much more successful than they were the first time when they reformed is for one simple reason.

Take That dropped the boyband image/reputation. They became a true pop band and one who wants to have an influence on music not like the boybands of the 90s who continued to create the same generic sound over and over.

Many rock fans have praised Take That's reunion album Beautiful World and even moreso with the follow-up The Circus.

Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys in particular slated Take That when they got back together but he's recently come around and admitted to being a fan.

Besides Take That write their own songs, they play instruments on tour and they can all sing very well, which are talents very few boybands have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

Sold out 2 nights in Croke Park. I'd like to see RHCP do that (not saying they cant, although I would be a little bit surprised)

If Take That were available to play Oxegen they would be booked in 2 seconds but they dont do festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is Oxegen not supposed to be a rock festival? It has probably lost any credibility it had of claiming to be one over the last few years, but Take That, whilst having one or two decent songs, headlining really would take the biscuit. Can't see a huge amount of the Oxegen crowd loving them, tbh. I don't think any lads my age that I know like them, and a lot of the girls don't like them either, which I was surprised by, tbh.

A quick look on Facebook(not a reputable source, admittedly) and almost twice as many of my friends like RHCP than Take That and RHCP have 11million fans compared to Take That's 1.5million. Take That have a large older fanbase, as in middle aged women, that wouldn't go to Oxegen, whereas RHCPs fans would be a much more Oxegeny kind of crowd, with a large older fanbase too, tbf.

• Advertisement

Is Oxegen not supposed to be a rock festival? It has probably lost any credibility it had of claiming to be one over the last few years, but Take That, whilst having one or two decent songs, headlining really would take the biscuit. Can't see a huge amount of the Oxegen crowd loving them, tbh. I don't think any lads my age that I know like them, and a lot of the girls don't like them either, which I was surprised by, tbh.

A quick look on Facebook(not a reputable source, admittedly) and almost twice as many of my friends like RHCP than Take That and RHCP have 11million fans compared to Take That's 1.5million. Take That have a large older fanbase, as in middle aged women, that wouldn't go to Oxegen, whereas RHCPs fans would be a much more Oxegeny kind of crowd, with a large older fanbase too, tbf.

I can see where your going with the whole thing about Oxegen's reputation. They did claim for years to be an indie festival and that probably is part of the reason for its decline in popularity. However Take That are not pop as in pop like Beyonce, The Saturdays, Ke$ha, Bruno Mars, Tinie Tempah and the Black Eyed Peas who may I add all played this year.

Songs like Greatest Day and Hold Up A Light are anthemic tunes and I could see them get a reaction at any kind of festival.

While I am obviously a self-confessed Take That fan you probably are fair in saying that most of their fans are the people who were fans since the 90s.

But to me this is because people still see them as a boyband. When anyone 20+ hears anything about Take That they just say "oh yeah the fat blonde boyband from the 90s who split and the youngest member was the only one who was successful".

If you look at Take That this way you will never truly understand them. I am a 20-year old male so obviously I was a bit too young the first time around as I was about 4 or 5 when they split in 1996.

But I got into Take That during their second stunt as a band 2005 onwards. Hits like Patience, Shine and I'd Wait For Life dragged me in and I just knew they were more than just a boyband.

Even my dad who generally can't stand boybands didn't understand Take That until last year when they released their latest album Progress, which is a massive departure from the generic boyband sound of 90s boybands. He saw the difference as would anyone else if they gave Take That a chance.

I love the RHCP too and admittedly they are bigger than Take That. If they could sell out Slane, the Phoenix Park and Landsdowne Road on the same tour I could imagine them selling out two Croke Parks.

I personally would love to see Take That at Oxegen, it would be sureal but realistically it aint going to happen. Granted they are not the little boy band people think they are, like karaokeman I am 20 too and thought they were very good in Croker.

Saying all that I am going to RHCP in November and literally cannot wait. I would also prefer to see RHCP at Oxegen but saying people will not go is wrong. It will not attract my friends to camp for them but would probrably sell out the day tickets as Beyonce did this year.

We all know comparing on facebook is a pile of crap. Firstly take thats fan base is not on facebook, RHCP are huge in America which does not reflect how many fans they have here (which is a lot, not trying to deny that). But you have to respect Take Thats tour was the biggest ever (in some form, crawl through nme.com and youl find an article on what record it broke, and it aint on stage production)

I also just want to resay that I am not saying RHCP couldnt sell out Croker twice, I just find it hard to say that any band will. I was surprised Take That did it. The only band that wouldnt surprise me would be U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

bren2001 wrote: »
    I also just want to resay that I am not saying RHCP couldnt sell out Croker twice, I just find it hard to say that any band will. I was surprised Take That did it. The only band that wouldnt surprise me would be U2.

U2 played Croke Park 3 times during the Vertigo Tour and 3 times during the 360 tour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I agree what people are saying about Take That and i am also one of the peolpe who have enjoyed their reunion , with the songs they have been putting out are not the real cheesy songs they would have done back in the 90's etc. In saying that i wouldnt go see them at their own gig but if they did a festival i prob would see them.

Sure look if BEP can headline then anyone can imo.

I dont think RHCP could sell out 2 Croke Parks anymore although if this album is a major success then it could change. Someone said they hope to tour this album till 2012 so i could see Oxegen this year then in 2012 their own outdoor show(s) .

MrStuffins wrote: »
    U2 played Croke Park 3 times during the Vertigo Tour and 3 times during the 360 tour.

Hence why I wouldnt be surprised if they sold out two nights in Croker, I imagine they could go as far as 5 or 6 nights.

• Advertisement

I dont think RHCP could sell out 2 Croke Parks anymore although if this album is a major success then it could change. Someone said they hope to tour this album till 2012 so i could see Oxegen this year then in 2012 their own outdoor show(s) .

The I'm With You Tour is actually expected to last until 2013, which is the same length of time the By The Way Tour took when they played Landsdowne, Slane and Phoenix Park.

I'd say it will probably be Oxegen next year and maybe Slane the following year because there seems to be a growing tendency for Slane to happen every two years (Eg 07, 09, 11).
    bren2001 wrote: »
    Hence why I wouldnt be surprised if they sold out two nights in Croker, I imagine they could go as far as 5 or 6 nights.

As much as I love U2 I doubt they could play 5-6 Crokers. Ireland just doesn't have a big enough population unlike England (where TT sold out 8 Wembleys should I add). Maybe a 4th if they redeem themselves with this new album and bring out material people will enjoy like they did with the Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kb123

In no particular order:

Lady Gaga
    Kanye West
    Snow Patrol
    The Killers
    The Answer
    Iron Maiden
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Kasabian (possibly)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greatbuzzman

The Pixies? And any chance Kid Cudi could be there?

Anyone think we will be able to get early bird 4-day camping tickets for €200 for next year?

I really want to get mine for xmas this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Has Oxegen 2012 even been announced or confirmed? Killers and Snow Patrol are almost a certainty if it's still going ahead!

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Has Oxegen 2012 even been announced or confirmed? Killers and Snow Patrol are almost a certainty if it's still going ahead!

Its taken place every year since 2004 so would be disappointed if there was no Oxegen next year.

I have been thinking about what MCD should do for next year is cut Oxegen down the middle and create 2 smaller festivals

Festival 1
    Have the line up something on the lines of Download/Sonisphere/Reading and Leeds. Keep it a rock festival on a smaller scale e.g 3 stages (Plus they could use the Dance Arena as one of the stages) . Reduce the capacity to maybe 50,000 and reduce the price to roughly €170. Also have an introducing stage (like what reading and leeds have but say have it sponsored by RTE/2FM so they can show highlights of the acts) .

Festival 2
    Have this festival as a line up like V Festival/Creamfields/Global Gathering , have it more of a pop/dance festival. Same as above 2 or 3 stages . Keep it called T-Vital and build it up to whatever the capacity Bangor can hold. Decent price tickets . Again have some introducing stage (think they had it at T-Vital this year)

Personally it would reduce people just going to festival for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AxemanRob

I have been thinking about what MCD should do for next year is cut Oxegen down the middle and create 2 smaller festivals

Festival 1
    Have the line up something on the lines of Download/Sonisphere/Reading and Leeds. Keep it a rock festival on a smaller scale e.g 3 stages (Plus they could use the Dance Arena as one of the stages) . Reduce the capacity to maybe 50,000 and reduce the price to roughly €170. Also have an introducing stage (like what reading and leeds have but say have it sponsored by RTE/2FM so they can show highlights of the acts) .

Festival 2
    Have this festival as a line up like V Festival/Creamfields/Global Gathering , have it more of a pop/dance festival. Same as above 2 or 3 stages . Keep it called T-Vital and build it up to whatever the capacity Bangor can hold. Decent price tickets . Again have some introducing stage (think they had it at T-Vital this year)

Personally it would reduce people just going to festival for the sake of it

This is exactly what they should do. The only trouble is it might be hard to get big headliners when the crowd is reduced by that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DarraghMcK

blink'll be there.

They happen to have that weekend T in the Park/Oxegen on, entirely free, and some uk dates the week after :pac:

Them under Green Day would be amazing if it happened.

Blink are playing the o2 next summer so won't be there

AxemanRob wrote: »
    This is exactly what they should do. The only trouble is it might be hard to get big headliners when the crowd is reduced by that much.

Well if you look at Sonisphere when they started they only had about 50000/60000 capacity. Plus once headliners get their money they will not care how many people they play to imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just how bad was attendance this year? I never thought I'd see rumours about Oxegen (one of Europe's flagships festivals after all) not going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

AdMMM wrote: »
    Just how bad was attendance this year? I never thought I'd see rumours about Oxegen (one of Europe's flagships festivals after all) not going ahead.

Really very poor. Crowds rarely reached behind the sound desk except for a handful of bands. The National, who were already against it playing to the wrong festival on the Vodafone stage, got a tiny crowd.

271005_10150259447137836_680202835_7427560_7489996_n.jpg

(It's worth saying though that I've been at 4 festivals this year (5th is EP this weekend) and sales have been significantly down in all of them)

As said above it was very noticeable the lack of crowd. I was at the Main Stage all day on friday till after MCR and the pit was just about full for Weezer/MCR but then there was only 1 or 2 rows behind the pit of people. Nearly all the bands i seen had low attendance eg Jimmy Eat World , Imelda May , The National but the Foo Fighters had a decent crowd although i was in the pit so i couldnt see behind me.

I think the average person at Oxegen this year only came out for the big commercial acts during the day eg Bruno Mars and Kesha , Then they went back to their tents and only came out for the headliners.

I think it needs a rest for next year or to totally rebrand the product because it seems that bands are just playing again and again or every 2nd year. Look at Paolo Nutini 3 years in a row Plan B/BEP 2 years in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Really very poor. Crowds rarely reached behind the sound desk except for a handful of bands. The National, who were already against it playing to the wrong festival on the Vodafone stage, got a tiny crowd.

They chose the wrong festival this year. I feel sorry for them as the crowd at EP last year was smaller than I expected due to the rain.

The Olympia shows made up for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I don't think such drastic measures like taking a break are necessary. Especially if the event is still making money for MCD. They just need to adjust the lineup for demand. Perhaps gets rid of the Vodafone stage or replace it with a tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

karaokeman wrote: »

Here's a few more for filler acts

The Kooks
    The Coral
    The Feeling
    KT Tunstall
    Counting Crows
    The Ting Tings
    Carolina Liar
    Mika
    Avril Lavgine
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Republic of Loose

That's the worst line up of acts I've ever seen.

I don't think such drastic measures like taking a break are necessary. Especially if the event is still making money for MCD. They just need to adjust the lineup for demand. Perhaps gets rid of the Vodafone stage or replace it with a tent.

I just think the might just have to stick with one kind of line up instead of a mixed and reduce the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I still think Ireland needs a rock / metal festival, even if it was just a one day thing like Metallica/A7X/Alice In Chains/Mastodon in Marlay in 2009, that was a grat day out and well worth the €80

I still think Ireland needs a rock / metal festival, even if it was just a one day thing like Metallica/A7X/Alice In Chains/Mastodon in Marlay in 2009, that was a grat day out and well worth the €80

Agreed , i think the RDS would be great for that again, since they have 3 venues all in one. Outdoor Arena , Simmonscourt and a smaller one

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be hugely surprised if Metallica were announced as a headliner for Oxegen presuming their new album is near completion???

Considering the rate Oxegen is going down, they will need to bring in some godly popular acts to increase interest.

This year there was a lot more massively successful acts than years before. I kinda felt Beyonce was a last bid effort to create a surge in ticket sales, why else would they announce someone so big so late?

Advertisement