Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

karaokeman wrote: »
    Wouldn't be hugely surprised if Metallica were announced as a headliner for Oxegen presuming their new album is near completion???

Considering the rate Oxegen is going down, they will need to bring in some godly popular acts to increase interest.

This year there was a lot more massively successful acts than years before. I kinda felt Beyonce was a last bid effort to create a surge in ticket sales, why else would they announce someone so big so late?
    Oxegen is a total pop fest. I cannot see Metallica playing there. They are one of the only bands that would sway me back to Punchetstown though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DarraghMcK wrote: »
    Blink are playing the o2 next summer so won't be there

I think there is an oxegen shaped gap in their tour schedule and seen as they were meant to play oxegen this summer i'd expect them to be there.
    Wouldn't be hugely surprised if Metallica were announced as a headliner for Oxegen presuming their new album is near completion???

Considering the rate Oxegen is going down, they will need to bring in some godly popular acts to increase interest.

This year there was a lot more massively successful acts than years before. I kinda felt Beyonce was a last bid effort to create a surge in ticket sales, why else would they announce someone so big so late?

Metallica won't play oxegen. Expect a solo date in punchestown similar to AC/DC if they are to play there. I'd be more expectant of an o2 gig or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

lordgoat wrote: »
    Metallica won't play oxegen. Expect a solo date in punchestown similar to AC/DC if they are to play there. I'd be more expectant of an o2 gig or two.

I just found out the new album will be out end of October.

Tbh I would be happy with an O2 date aswell. Regarding Oxegen my point is that they need to bring in some worldclass acts to tackle the falling ticket sales.

A global phenomenon like U2 or Metallica would do just that. Their popularity will allow Oxegen to skyrocket, if the organisers are willing to bite the bullet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I agree that that Oxegen needs to re-brand the product or take a break from it and just have a new smaller festival.

Either get bands that have not played Oxegen e.g. Metallica , U2 etc or scrap it and down grade the festival to something on the lines of Bud Rising few years ago

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Or lower the ticket price.

And make it an all pop festival.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up MTV World Stage at 10pm is from Oxegen 2011

Sadly U2 will never do Oxegen , they will only do their own gigs

The reason U2 didn't play Oxegen the last two tours was because they had a stage for both and Glasto was a once-off.

Clayton still said that in future they would be less dependent on stadium shows because smaller tours will be easier to organise.

I'd say if U2 will be doing a Glastonbury-style tour with no special effects and just the music in future we may have a chance of them playing Oxegen.

U2 are the type of band who like trying different things so headlining Oxegen wouldn't be an impossibility considering they've never done it before.

I'd say many people believed for years that they would never play Glastonbury.

Someone said they hope to tour this album till 2012 so i could see Oxegen this year then in 2012 their own outdoor show(s) .

Apparently Chad talked about doing UK festivals next summer so Oxegen may be on the cards.

Right now my realistic expectations for headliners in order by day are Green Day/RHCP/Foo Fighters.

Apparently Chad talked about doing UK festivals next summer so Oxegen may be on the cards.

Right now my realistic expectations for headliners in order by day are Green Day/RHCP/Foo Fighters.

Foos wont do it again next year. They will prob do their own outdoor gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

I fully expect the Killers to be there. New album out, said they are doing festivals. Oxegen 2012.

• Advertisement

Apologies for double post.

Foos wont do it again next year. They will prob do their own outdoor gigs

Isn't it Foo's and the Chili's that are currently being looked at for Sonisphere?

Don't rule it out, Oxegen has a growing tendency to repeat acts year on year. May I point out BEP 2 years, Nutini 3 years, The Corona's 2 years, Mumford & Sons 2 years, the list goes on....

Isn't it Foo's and the Chili's that are currently being looked at for Sonisphere?

Don't rule it out, Oxegen has a growing tendency to repeat acts year on year. May I point out BEP 2 years, Nutini 3 years, The Corona's 2 years, Mumford & Sons 2 years, the list goes on....

True but most Foo's fans wouldn't go see them at Oxegen again imo .Foo Fighters would'nt have that commercial appeal that would make people go see them again at Oxegen unlike KOL/BEP etc. I have a feeling Foo's will do Reading/Leeds next year so might rule them out of Soni since RHCP are being promoted by Kilamanjiro who also run Sonisphere .

Only one of those are realistic in my opinion

Chillis are definite I'd say, then maybe Killers and a pop act

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Snow Patrol will be headlining for sure!

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Snow Patrol will be headlining for sure!

Id say Snow Patrol are a cert for T-Vital next year , so would prefer if we got a Marley Park date instead of Oxegen

Id say Snow Patrol are a cert for T-Vital next year , so would prefer if we got a Marley Park date instead of Oxegen

Surely Snow Patrol aren't big enough to be an Oxegen headliner?

I would prefer if we had three stadium jaunts on each of the nights. RHCP are a definite, having sold out Slane/Landsdowne/Pheonix Park in the past.

Surely Snow Patrol aren't big enough to be an Oxegen headliner?

I would prefer if we had three stadium jaunts on each of the nights. RHCP are a definite, having sold out Slane/Landsdowne/Pheonix Park in the past.

Well they have co-headlined it in the past they could do it. New album out soon aswell

Maybe headline is too strong but i can see them playing the main stage at same time as in 2009.

Just listen to the crowd...

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Maybe headline is too strong but i can see them playing the main stage at same time as in 2009.

Just listen to the crowd...
    Only time I have seen Snow Patrol and it was epic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ThePatMurphy

Headliners (possibly/hopefully)
    RHCP
    U2
    The Killers
    Snow Patrol
    Kasabian
    Green Day
    Fleet Foxes

Dream line up (highly unlikely though :P )
    Radiohead
    Soundgarden
    Pixies
    Bloc Party
    My Bloody Valentine
    Sonic Youth
    Pearl Jam

Add the Kaiser Chiefs in somewhere there. I think they'll be back!

Last time was amazing...Ricky ran into the crowd and everyone tried to jump him lol - http://youtu.be/0s-wqzMC2Ps?t=7m18s (7mins 18 seconds)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ThePatMurphy

Ah yes, Kaiser Chiefs, forgot about them and their new album, definite possibilities :)
    Good call :)

Love or Hate the Kaiser Chiefs they no how to get a crowd going. Seen them 3 times and they are a great live band

Yeah the Kaiser Cheifs may return. It would feel a bit oldschool if they did play but nothing wrong with that.

Green Day are still hanging in the balance as none of them have said anything yet about playing festivals next year.

If they aren't announced I wouldn't mind seeing Robbie Williams heading one of the nights. He has a new solo album out and he played Glastonbury and Slane before so I don't see why Oxegen's an impossibility.

Here's what I think is most probable at the moment with headliners highlighted in bold;

Main Stage

Friday : Blink 182/Green Day or Robbie Williams
    Saturday : Noel Gallagher/Kasabian/RHCP
    Sunday : Kaiser Chiefs/Lady GaGa/The Killers

Vodaphone Stage

Friday : The Kooks/Snow Patrol
    Saturday : Kanye West/The Strokes
    Sunday : Mumford & Sons/???????

Don't know who else right now, would love some acts like Weezer and Example to return. Jessie J will probably come back seen as how La Roux pulled out and played again the next year.

Yeah the Kaiser Cheifs may return. It would feel a bit oldschool if they did play but nothing wrong with that.

Green Day are still hanging in the balance as none of them have said anything yet about playing festivals next year.

If they aren't announced I wouldn't mind seeing Robbie Williams heading one of the nights. He has a new solo album out and he played Glastonbury and Slane before so I don't see why Oxegen's an impossibility.

Here's what I think is most probable at the moment with headliners highlighted in bold;

Main Stage

Vodaphone Stage

Don't know who else right now, would love some acts like Weezer and Example to return. Jessie J will probably come back seen as how La Roux pulled out and played again the next year.

I could see Noel Gallagher maybe doing the Green Room and headlining .
    Snow Patrol wont do 2nd stage headliners if they do play they will be on Main.
    Kanye West could headline Vodafone Stage on his own and Strokes wont return

Main Stage

Vodaphone Stage

I could see Noel Gallagher maybe doing the Green Room and headlining .
    Snow Patrol wont do 2nd stage headliners if they do play they will be on Main.
    Kanye West could headline Vodafone Stage on his own and Strokes wont return

Noel will more than likely be on the main stage because Beady Eye played the main stage this year. Noel is also expected to be a huge success with the release of his album so Green Spheres is somewhat unlikely.

I would like to see Christy Moore headlining the green tent, it has to happen eventually seen as how he's played Glasto in the past.

With Snow Patrol it depends on the success of their new album, I'm currently not impressed with the new single. If they do maybe a sub-headliner I would imagine?

Regarding Strokes, I probably am just getting my hopes up. But I would rather see them than Kanye any day.

Noel will more than likely be on the main stage because Beady Eye played the main stage this year. Noel is also expected to be a huge success with the release of his album so Green Spheres is somewhat unlikely.

I would like to see Christy Moore headlining the green tent, it has to happen eventually seen as how he's played Glasto in the past.

With Snow Patrol it depends on the success of their new album, I'm currently not impressed with the new single. If they do maybe a sub-headliner I would imagine?

Regarding Strokes, I probably am just getting my hopes up. But I would rather see them than Kanye any day.

Yea i no that Noels album will be a big success but i would think it would be more suited for Green Room and would be a massive draw against . Or maybe headline the Vodafone either

Christy would be great

I actually like Snow Patrols new song and personaly i would rather them do their own gig instead of doing Oxegen in the same slot for the last 3 times.

Yea couldnt really care about Kanye

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think you could see Beastie Boys, Adele and Girls Aloud there next year

Pop acts seem to be the norm now as festivals

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think you could see Beastie Boys, Adele and Girls Aloud there next year

Pop acts seem to be the norm now as festivals

I agree, I know people here say "oh Oxegen used to be an indie rock festival" but I do prefer the idea of it having a mixed lineup.

This year was good for variety, I mean for the hard rockers you had Slash/Foo Fighters, those who are more into mellow alternative rock there was Coldplay/The Strokes, Beyonce/BEP for the R&B crowd and Kesha/The Saturdays for the big pop/mainstream crowd. What more could you want?

Not sure about the Beastie Boys, Adele is surely a possibility as she is about as mainstream as they come today.

Much as I would love to see Girls Aloud there, they have said that their 10-year anniversary tour next year will be a "huge production". So I'd say we would be more likely to see them at their own shows.

Same as with Take That because every time they tour they have a huge stage show with it and that's why it would be awkward for them to play a festival like Oxegen and to carry all that equipment past security.

Advertisement