Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think i read somewhere that Adele doesnt do festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I just looked it up and yes you are right in saying that Adele has no interest in playing festivals.

Apparently she is scared of big crowds and they give her anxiety attacks. She also refuses to play them because she believes her music is too slow and wouldn't be a hit with festival-goers (fair point).

http://www.mtv.co.uk/news/adele/271396-adele-festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

By the amount of gigs she has cancelled lately I guess you can change that statement to "Adele doesnt do gigs full stop" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

I see MTV showed more highlights of Oxegen last night and have more scheduled for tomorrow night.

If these guys are doing the festival circuit next summer you can count them playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Just a heads up guys, Oxegen 2011 highlight show begins on MTV (Sky channel 350) at 10pm tonight!! Not sure whether it will be a repeat of the highlights shown during the week or a different mix of acts!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Just a heads up guys, Oxegen 2011 highlight show begins on MTV (Sky channel 350) at 10pm tonight!! Not sure whether it will be a repeat of the highlights shown during the week or a different mix of acts!

Has anyone recorded it? I'm on Irish UPC, have about 7 MTVs, but none of them listed any Oxegen material.
    Has any The Pretty Reckless footage been shown?

There was highlights shown on Friday night . It mostly had BEP/Beady Eye/Arctic Monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

So many great bands people are forgetting about that could possibly come out with new albumes early 2012...

Franz Ferdinand
    Razorlight (played VFestival 2011)
    Stereophonics (playing Arthurs Day in Dub)
    Keane
    Jamie T
    Hard Fi
    Editors

Other Possibilities:

Bloc Party
    REM
    Foster the People
    Mile Kane
    Lady Gaga
    Muse
    Katy Perry
    Ian Brown
    The View
    Feeder
    The Fratellis

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

The Killers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

Aha Shake wrote: »
    The Killers?

Pretty much a given they are headlining. Said they are only doing festivals next summer and a new album due out in and around June-ish, last time they said that the album came out in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 negative creep

if QOTSA and/or kyuss are there im a happy camper (literally ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

I reckon chilis and killers r pretty much certainties. But wouldn't rule out u2, kasabian, Noel Gallagher, Mumford and sons, tiesto, rihanna, David guetta, green day, Florence, Robbie Williams, or maybe Jay-z with kanye west for their new album?

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    I reckon chilis and killers r pretty much certainties. But wouldn't rule out u2, kasabian, Noel Gallagher, Mumford and sons, tiesto, rihanna, David guetta, green day, Florence, Robbie Williams, or maybe Jay-z with kanye west for their new album?

I agree RHCP, Killers are almost a certainty.

Kasabian, Rihanna, Tiesto, Jay-Z, Kanye and Florence also are high possibilities but not definites.

U2 as much as I would love them to play won't be doing Oxegen next year anyways. Bono has said they are going on an extended hiatus after completing their 360 tour, so maybe 2013 for Oxegen at earliest.

Robbie Williams if he will be playing festivals next year? I still think he's more likely to do stadium shows and more-than-likely his free concert will be in Dublin. There should be a bit of banter if Robbie and Noel both end up playing on the same day.

You should probably throw in The Kooks, Girls Aloud, Kaiser Chiefs, Snow Patrol, Goo Goo Dolls, The Fray and maybe in the very unlikelihood Metallica or Pearl Jam as a big rock headliner. We got Foos this year so never rule anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

That's if Oxegen 2012 is even going ahead in the same format. Dates haven't even been announced nevermind confirmed unlike Oxegens sister festival(s), T in the Park and VFestival, Isle of Wight etc! Tickets are even onsale for some of these festivals and not for Oxegen!

What's happening MCD?! Tell us!

O'Doodle wrote: »
    That's if Oxegen 2012 is even going ahead in the same format. Dates haven't even been announced nevermind confirmed unlike Oxegens sister festival(s), T in the Park and VFestival, Isle of Wight etc! Tickets are even onsale for some of these festivals and not for Oxegen!

What's happening MCD?! Tell us!

Dont people say that every year? Foo Fighters were announced near the end of the year last year

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

We wont get any news till around Christmas as usual so if i were ye, i'd spare my breath and just forget about the thread till then :)

We wont get any news till around Christmas as usual so if i were ye, i'd spare my breath and just forget about the thread till then :)

Well no , since people can talk about rumours or bands they think will play the festival next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

karaokeman wrote: »
    I agree RHCP, Killers are almost a certainty.

Kasabian, Rihanna, Tiesto, Jay-Z, Kanye and Florence also are high possibilities but not definites.

U2 as much as I would love them to play won't be doing Oxegen next year anyways. Bono has said they are going on an extended hiatus after completing their 360 tour, so maybe 2013 for Oxegen at earliest.

Robbie Williams if he will be playing festivals next year? I still think he's more likely to do stadium shows and more-than-likely his free concert will be in Dublin. There should be a bit of banter if Robbie and Noel both end up playing on the same day.

You should probably throw in The Kooks, Girls Aloud, Kaiser Chiefs, Snow Patrol, Goo Goo Dolls, The Fray and maybe in the very unlikelihood Metallica or Pearl Jam as a big rock headliner. We got Foos this year so never rule anything out.

Jay Z and Rihanna most definitely won't play Oxegen. Jay Z will be too busy (baby Beyoncé on the way) and Rihanna just wouldn't suit an outdoor show in Ireland, and her management clearly know that! She can sell it in the UK as it's such a large market (Sold out the O2 9 times) but she can only sell out the O2 twice in Ireland. A headliner should be able to sell it out more than a couple of times, and I'm sure Rihanna wouldn't settle for a Beyoncé-esque 2nd headliner spot.

As for The Killers, also doubtful. Their new album will probably be released by May, hence they'll be doing a promotional tour involving arena shows, etc, mainly in America, so it pretty much rules Oxegen out for 2012, possibly a 2013 appearance..

Tiesto doesn't do festivals (with the exceptions of ones such as Creamfields [which wouldn't be anyway similar to Oxegen), so he's also probably ruled out.

As for Robbie.. well he wouldn't even suit Oxegen, he's more an old woman singer..

Girls Aloud: Seriously, seriously not going to happen.. Their comeback tour probably won't even happen next year, but even if it did, they'd do an arena tour rather than festivals.

Metallica: no, just no. They wouldn't suit Oxegen.. at all. Rock and metal are completely different genres. :confused:

I'd imagine the pop headliner will be someone like Katy Perry or Britney Spears. Katy is the most likely as she played a while ago. MCD have signed both of them for O2 concerts, so it's highly probable that it's in one of their contracts to play Oxegen also.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Jay Z will be too busy (baby Beyoncé on the way)

Fair point.
    Rihanna just wouldn't suit an outdoor show in Ireland, and her management clearly know that! She can sell it in the UK as it's such a large market (Sold out the O2 9 times) but she can only sell out the O2 twice in Ireland.

Just because Rihanna only sold out two O2's doesn't mean she couldn't sell anymore. On the Good Girl Gone Bad Tour she sold out three RDS dates. Consinder each RDS is 18,000 people a night, thats 54,000. Remember also that Rihanna's become much more popular since then. The reason she's only playing two O2's is because that's all her tour schedule will allow. It is pretty hectic with the tight run of arena dates. Rihanna also sold out the O2 6 times, Rihanna could do that no problem.
    As for The Killers, also doubtful. Their new album will probably be released by May, hence they'll be doing a promotional tour involving arena shows, etc, mainly in America, so it pretty much rules Oxegen out for 2012, possibly a 2013 appearance..

I could see them do the promotional shows in June and then return for Oxegen and T in July.
    Tiesto doesn't do festivals (with the exceptions of ones such as Creamfields [which wouldn't be anyway similar to Oxegen), so he's also probably ruled out.

Good point too.
    As for Robbie.. well he wouldn't even suit Oxegen, he's more an old woman singer..

I've never met one old woman who listens to Robbie Williams. Most of his fans I know are in their 20s and 30s, that is men and women.
    Girls Aloud: Seriously, seriously not going to happen.. Their comeback tour probably won't even happen next year, but even if it did, they'd do an arena tour rather than festivals.

If The Saturdays can do Oxegen I don't see why it is unlikely that any other girlbands would.
    Metallica: no, just no. They wouldn't suit Oxegen.. at all. Rock and metal are completely different genres. :confused:

They are different genres I will admit that but who can say Oxegen is still a rock festival anyways?
    I'd imagine the pop headliner will be someone like Katy Perry or Britney Spears. Katy is the most likely as she played a while ago. MCD have signed both of them for O2 concerts, so it's highly probable that it's in one of their contracts to play Oxegen also.

Katy's tour ends in November and I haven't heard a word about another album, so what are the chances she will play festivals next summer?

LMFAO Britney, oh yeah I would love to see her just to see how bad she is live. Still unlikely as her tour finishes this year and she took three years between albums last time.

No Girls Aloud as pop headliner ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

Jay Z and Rihanna most definitely won't play Oxegen. Jay Z will be too busy (baby Beyoncé on the way) and Rihanna just wouldn't suit an outdoor show in Ireland, and her management clearly know that! She can sell it in the UK as it's such a large market (Sold out the O2 9 times) but she can only sell out the O2 twice in Ireland. A headliner should be able to sell it out more than a couple of times, and I'm sure Rihanna wouldn't settle for a Beyoncé-esque 2nd headliner spot.

Rihanna played 2nd headline to Eminem this year at V Festival. She had a massive crowd there. If she doesnt play Oxegen is wouldnt be because she cant play outdoors. She sold out the o2 twice only because she played two dates.... We dont know how many more nights she could of sold. 9 nights in the o2 England shows how big she is.

The Killers are playing festivals next year. Brandon and Ronnie have said so in several interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Metallica would suit Oxegen a hell of a lot more than Britney fúcking Spears.

On the Rihanna playing the RDS 3 times , she played the indoor venue which was about 8000 capacity . As said it seemed to be a once off her playing festivals this year (plus V Festival is 100% catered to commercial music fans).

The Killers are kinda like KOL in away , they are a lot bigger in Uk/Ireland then the USA so they could easily start the tour with UK/Ireland/European dates .

Katy Perry/Britney Spears will not headline Oxegen !!!!!!!

Dont rule out Metallica completey , if anyone remembers RATM headlined in 2008

Personally i hope Oxegen takes a break next year and a new festival is announced with a more rock line up, imo

The Killers are kinda like KOL in away , they are a lot bigger in Uk/Ireland then the USA so they could easily start the tour with UK/Ireland/European dates .

Tbh Oxegen is a far more likely outdoor show for The Killers than Slane.
    Katy Perry/Britney Spears will not headline Oxegen !!!!!!!

I don't think they were implied as main stage headliners. I doubt they will play but if that was the case it would probably be the Vodaphone stage on a pop night with Britney headlining and Katy sub-headlining. But no hopefully the pop act this year will be Girls Aloud.
    Dont rule out Metallica completey , if anyone remembers RATM headlined in 2008

Exactly there will always be one massive Rock/Metal headliner. This year it was the Foo Fighters.
    Personally i hope Oxegen takes a break next year and a new festival is announced with a more rock line up, imo

Either that or they could split Oxegen into two separate festivals with all rock acts playing at one of them (RHCP, Green Day, The Killers, maybe Metallica as headliners) and then another for all the commercial acts like Girls Aloud, Rihanna among others.

Either that or they could split Oxegen into two separate festivals with all rock acts playing at one of them (RHCP, Green Day, The Killers, maybe Metallica as headliners) and then another for all the commercial acts like Girls Aloud, Rihanna among others.

Yea i think if they didnt have the script playing Oxegen , T-Vital probably would have sold out both nights instead of the Eminem night.

Splitting it down the middle would be the best way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Could be Adele, since she has now abandoned her 'I hate arena's' stance. Singer's shouldn't even open their mouth's sometimes to be honest, except to sing of course :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I couldn't see Oxegen being split into two festivals, did no one see how few people there were there last year? If anything the whole festival will be scaled back.

I'd be surprised if Snow Patrol weren't given a headline or sub headline slot this year. I'd say the lineup would be something like Snow Patrol, Killers, Kasabian, Chilli's and maybe Rihanna.

Kasabian’s Tom Meighan has suggested that a stadium tour could be on the way for the rockers – but a stop in his hometown Leicester’s football stadium is out of the question.

The ‘Club Foot’ singers have just released their fourth studio album ‘Velociraptor!’, and have lined-up an arena tour for November. But, with Meighan and guitarist Serge Pizzorno thinking the band are ready for bigger things, he spoke about the possibility of the band performing in stadiums for a tour next year, and the idea of headlining 2013’s Glastonbury.

“I can’t say anything about it, but time will tell,” the pair revealed. “It would really be something if we could play Wembley Stadium, to be big enough to headline there? Magnificent. Who knows what’ll happen next year.

“When [Leicester’s] stadium was built it wasn’t designed to be sturdy enough to have rock shows there, we keep asking the council if it can be strengthened. It would be incredible to have a homecoming at City’s ground as the biggest venue in Leicester only holds 2,000 people, which is frustrating.

“It would have been brilliant to play Glastonbury but all we need is a phone call from Michael Eavis and we’ll be there for 2013. One thing I really want to do before all this ends is to headline Glastonbury as we’ve always had an incredible time playing there. Hopefully it’ll happen.”

Really doubt Kasabian would headline Oxegen next year seen as how their O2 date hasn't sold out yet.

I'm guessing they will be playing but it will probably be Vodaphone stage headline.

• Advertisement

Really doubt Kasabian would headline Oxegen next year seen as how their O2 date hasn't sold out yet.

I'm guessing they will be playing but it will probably be Vodaphone stage headline.

If they did play they would be on the Main Stage either same spot as last time or headlining. The O2 show is not far off selling out and will be sold out before the gig.

Id rather them do there own outdoor show instead

Advertisement