Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

cant see west life at oxegen, on their last tour they would be "too big" for oxegen as they could probably sell out a week in the aviva nest summer!

Westlife couldn't sell out a week at the Aviva let alone 3-4 nights.

I reckon one would be all they'd sell out. Remember they didn't sell out Croke Park last year.

The real reason they are splitting up is likely because they're not as popular anymore.

Nevertheless Shane said they would never play festivals so Oxegen is a definite impossibility.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

karaokeman wrote: »
    Westlife couldn't sell out a week at the Aviva let alone 3-4 nights.

I reckon one would be all they'd sell out. Remember they didn't sell out Croke Park last year.

The real reason they are splitting up is likely because they're not as popular anymore.

Nevertheless Shane said they would never play festivals so Oxegen is a definite impossibility.

The fact its their break up tour people will be more inclined to go see them , they were not far off selling out Croke Park ( i was working at it) . Cant see them going near Oxegen as said they dont do festivals and they dont need to . They will def finish up with a big Irish gig so id say maybe 2 nights in the Aviva after the 19 date tour of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

Well FM104 more or less confirmed RHCP for Oxegen on their FB.
    FM104 wrote:
    Friday... 8am... Summer 2012 is going to be Red Hot... TWICE !

Tenks wrote: »

What about friday, is the announcement being made then? I would've thought its a bit early for Oxegen announcements seen as how last year there was none until December.

Does the twice mean they are playing Ireland twice? Then could that not mean 2 seperate gigs eg Marlay Park and Ward Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Slane? Or stadium shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

never going back to this kip again, was good first year i went 2010, well **** but a fun kinda ****, last year was just a joke altho i snook in haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Yeah the "twice" implies 2 gigs, probably Slane and somewhere in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Tenks wrote: »

if anything that indicates that they're not playing Oxegen...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Stone Roses are confirmed for Oxegen .

• Advertisement

Stone Roses are confirmed for Oxegen .

Source?

Looks like no Chilis for Oxegen anyways with them adding a Croke Park date

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Looks like the Chillis won't be playing any festivals next year then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Edit: Apparently there will be no Oxegen next year according to the EP forum, atm it just seems to be hearsay, so there will probably be an official confirmation at some point.
    http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19544&p=933360#p933360

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Apparently there will be no Oxegen this year according to the EP forum, atm it just seems to be hearsay, so there will probably be an official confirmation at some point.
    http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19544&p=933360#p933360

Jaysus, that forum is terrible to look at.

Suppose we go throw this every year , but i do think next year is the year with no Oxegen

I wouldn't believe there's no Oxegen next year unless it was confirmed by MCD and not some random poster on the EP forum.

Seriously everyone says every year there will be no Oxegen. We should just drop the topic about whether or not it will occur until we hear anything from anyone on the inside.

If Stone Roses aren't confirmed for Slane, there is a good chance they will be on the cards for an Oxegen appearance.

True , since the Foo fighters were not announced till 13th of Dec last year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Then maybe they are changing the date of the event as Slane is slotted in for the Oxegen weekend. Maybe Lord Mountcharles will turn Slane into a three day camping festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

The person who posted that on the EP forum is usually 99% correct with their information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Would it be possible to even have camping at Slane? Personally I think it would be a great idea.. 2 nights camping, 1 stage, 2 massive headliners maybe Stone Roses AND or Killers or Snow Patrol maybe even U2? Then have smaller acts like Noel G, Kasabian etc. No pop acts, no dance acts! A festival to rival Oxegen for sure!

You have whole heritage behind Slane, the music, the scenery, the history etc... could be marketed internationally instead of some boring racecourse in Kildare where a bunch of junkies and pissheads do their thing!

Cant see Mountcharles letting people camp on his property . Someone on the EP forum saying something about a Wireless/Hard Rock Calling festival. That could be a great idea imo. Even if they did it at Punchestown/Pheonix Park/Marlay Park where they have 1 headliner and 5 or 6 bands/acts before them could work. Kinda what Bud Rising used to be like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Lumbo wrote: »
    The person who posted that on the EP forum is usually 99% correct with their information.

more like 100%, when has he ever been wrong.

believe it folks

more like 100%, when has he ever been wrong.

believe it folks

So if there will be no Oxegen next year, I'm just surprised MCD hasn't announced it straight away. You would think there would have been confirmation at this stage just to stop all the speculation.

Then again it does seem odd that nothing (not even the dates) for Oxegen 2012 have been announced when the dates for this year were only announced two weeks after Oxegen last year (2010).

I'd say I would prefer for there to be no Oxegen so I could save my money for Slane and other things but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

karaokeman wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe there's no Oxegen next year unless it was confirmed by MCD and not some random poster on the EP forum.

Seriously everyone says every year there will be no Oxegen. We should just drop the topic about whether or not it will occur until we hear anything from anyone on the inside.

If Stone Roses aren't confirmed for Slane, there is a good chance they will be on the cards for an Oxegen appearance.

Very true but usually the next Oxegen date is announced immediately after the event (see you next year message).

Proof will be in the pudding as we get closer to Christmas. That's when the early birds go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Kind of surprised at the negative attitude to Oxegen on this thread. I used to love it in my earlier years. Admittedly the pikies do take away from the overall experience, but it still brings in some of the biggest names in music to these shores.

I take the view that if you don't like it you can stay away and you always have the option of tipping down there for the day if the camping is a bit too much like hard work.

I hope it goes again, or there is at least another big festival alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

wouldnt be surprised too much if it is cancelled
    poor sales last couple of years plus not too many headliners available now next year with chilis doin croker stone roses possibly doin slane and foos and coldplay headlined last year. all this with recession and lots of young people emigrating means it wouldnt be that big a surprise if it was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

It supposed to be moved to the Phoenix Park next year. No camping and only 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It supposed to be moved to the Phoenix Park next year. No camping and only 2 nights.

Yep, this was mentioned on NewsTalk this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

MCD have said it's not

http://www.oxegen.ie/7648/news/oxegen-festival-not-moving-to-pheonix-park/

Advertisement