Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Marley Park it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Heard rumours that there is more urban based festivals - 2 days, no camping are likely next year. Similar to the Forbidden Fruit set up. Also at the HWCH there was talk of a Camden Crawl type of event for Dublin.

Well anything other than the knacker-fest/leaving cert party that Oxegen has turned into is good with me. Ticket sales were pretty sluggish last year, can't imagine they'll be any better this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Clearly it's not going to be at Punchestown then, they would have confirmed so in that press release.

Someone should ring Punchestown race course and ask can they book the hospitality facilities at the racecourse from Fri 6th to Sun 8th July and see what they say.

I'd reckon MCD are going down the Tennants Vital route, 2 nights, no camping, 50k tickets a night! Probably alot more profitable than running a proper festival!

• Advertisement

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Clearly it's not going to be at Punchestown then, they would have confirmed so in that press release.

They also only say that Oxegen won't be at Phoenix Park. There's no mention of a renamed, rebranded festival there.

They also only say that Oxegen won't be at Phoenix Park. There's no mention of a renamed, rebranded festival there.

No confirmation it's going to be at Punchestown though. Surely they could have confirmed this and stopped all the speculation.

Exactly. It's a very carefully worded statement that only really claims that there will be no festival under the Oxegen branding in the Phoenix Park. It will only fuel speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Whatever festival that might turn up in the Phoenix Park I think it's certain to say that there will be no camping. Could be a good weekend for the hotels if anything comes of the rumour.

The site used for RHCP and Robbie Williams before can hold up to 135,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Paul Martin is still very confident in this story, a few tweets of his below.
    Folks trust me. You will all be seeing very soon that PHOENIX PARK IS 100 per cent correct. #Oxegen. As always, you will see.

Twitter going mad on my Oxegen axed from Punchestown story.Just to confirm. I can 100 per cent guarantee the festival will not be there.

I can further guarantee that the festival will not be 3 days and there will be no camping.Gigs in Phoenix Park and 1 day at Fairyhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Good riddence to it if does go, I just hope it doesnt impact on Electric Picnic

I think I believe it alright. MCDs statement just adds fuel to the fire! If Oxegen 2012 was 100% happening at Punchestown they would have bare minimum confirmed it at Punchestown in that statement and made Paul Martin look like an eejit!

I'd think the Phoenix Park is an awesome idea, shame they couldn't get camping in, even limited camping! Anyway I doubt it'll be called Oxegen, probably want a title sponsor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

This is great news, a series of gigs would be much better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

BrianD wrote: »
    Whatever festival that might turn up in the Phoenix Park I think it's certain to say that there will be no camping. Could be a good weekend for the hotels if anything comes of the rumour.

I much prefer hotels to camping, only problem is its a lot more money.

If Oxegen will be in the Phoenix Park and its only a two-day festival with cheaper tickets they might just have a better chance of ticket sales picking up next year.

The Killers and Snow Patrol would definitely help ticket sales. Unfortunately none of the other big, big acts seem to be available, RHCP doing Croker, Coldplay/Foos played this year, Stone Roses in Slane and so fort.

If it is two days they should have The Killers and Snow Patrol headlining one day and the other should be Noel Gallagher and Kasabian. A few smaller acts here and there like Blink 182 and Kaiser Chiefs/The Kooks third on the main stage would help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I for one is hoping this is true (tho it's being denied all over the place at the moment by MCD). I could roll out of my own bed and into the park 10 minutes later and fall back into it in the night.
    Would love for The Killers to headline again.
    Stone Roses will do their own show and not as part of a festival.
    Can't speculate any further, I don't know who'd be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

karaokeman wrote: »
    I much prefer hotels to camping, only problem is its a lot more money.

If Oxegen will be in the Phoenix Park and its only a two-day festival with cheaper tickets they might just have a better chance of ticket sales picking up next year.

The Killers and Snow Patrol would definitely help ticket sales. Unfortunately none of the other big, big acts seem to be available, RHCP doing Croker, Coldplay/Foos played this year, Stone Roses in Slane and so fort.

If it is two days they should have The Killers and Snow Patrol headlining one day and the other should be Noel Gallagher and Kasabian. A few smaller acts here and there like Blink 182 and Kaiser Chiefs/The Kooks third on the main stage would help too.

Noel Gallagher would not draw in an Oxegen sized crowd..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea id say there will be no Oxegen but instead an Irish version of Hard Rock Calling/Wireless that takes place in Hyde Park . Basically a bigger version of Bud Rising . Even though i liked the fact Oxegen was in Naas because i lived 20mins away :D:D .

As people have said i also prefer One day gigs . Its usually more relaxing and cheaper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Bit surprised to hear of these rumours I have to admit. I went to Oxegen twice I think over the years. At least one of the times it was still called Witness. It was grand but I never camped either time. I think I just picked one day and went there and back on the bus.

To be honest now though I've very little interest in festivals and I would pretty much have no interest in going to them anymore, no matter who is playing.

I was at Noel Gallagher at the Olympia last week and found that experience much better. In the door at 7.30pm, few drinks, first band 8pm, half hour break to prep the set etc, main act 9pm It was nicely done and none of this waiting around for hours and hours to see the one act you really want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

I was interning at MCD last summer before and after oxegen and there was talk of changes being made. Mainly because of the ticket sales and the hassle in the campsites (guy being slashed and making the news etc). There will still be some sort of "festival" it might not be called Oxegen and it might not be in Punchestown for 4 days but MCD aren't going to scrap the whole thing, it still makes big money!

It'l be interesting to see what they do with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

• Advertisement

Id say they will keep T-Vital anyways

Grindylow wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher would not draw in an Oxegen sized crowd..

Well seen as how Noel Gallagher sold out the O2 a lot faster than Kasabian are currently doing, I'm guessing he would be a better contender for full headliner than they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

karaokeman wrote: »
    Well seen as how Noel Gallagher sold out the O2 a lot faster than Kasabian are currently doing, I'm guessing he would be a better contender for full headliner than they would.

He doesnt have enough songs to play a headline slot (I know he could play a lot of Oasis stuff). He certainly is big enough but so are Kasabian.

Something like Kasabian/Noel Gallagher would sell a lot of tickets but not sure it would sell out Pheonix Park (Unless they just go for 40,000 capacity)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

http://www.ireland.com/leisure/music/music-news/oxegen-2012-moving-to-phoenix-park/625886

More grist for the mill. I'd be loving it if it went to Phoenix Park, not so much into the grind of camping but still up for a day in the sunshine and within a taxi striking distance of my nice comfortable bed. BOOM!

Something like Kasabian/Noel Gallagher would sell a lot of tickets but not sure it would sell out Pheonix Park (Unless they just go for 40,000 capacity)

Maybe not the Phoenix Park but for any other venue with how fast Noel sold out the O2 that is entirely debatable. They did say it would be going for 50,000 capacity and Noel and Kasabian could probably sell half of that for one day and with Snow Patrol, The Killers and maybe Blink on the other day it would surely be a sellout.

But seen as how Oxegen.ie have confirmed it won't be in the Phoenix Park I'd say Marlay Park would be our best bet.

I still dont think Oxegen will move . Id say they will just re-name it as a new festival either in Marlay/Phenoix Park .

So a new festival id say will be born

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

bring it to cavan. she can hold a fleadh,then oxegen wouldnt be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

When do they usually start announcing who's playing? Around December?

• Advertisement

Yea Foo Fighters/Blink 182/Arctic Monkeys were announced in Dec last year

Advertisement