Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2012 & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Thanks.

I'd love to see Green Day or Blink 182 headlining, are either of them likely?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Togepi wrote: »
    Thanks.

I'd love to see Green Day or Blink 182 headlining, are either of them likely?

If Oxegen does happen i wouldnt rule out Green Day headlining maybe with Blink 182 under them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

If Oxegen does happen i wouldnt rule out Green Day headlining maybe with Blink 182 under them

That would actually be the best line-up I could hope for!

Is there any reason why people think Green Day might headline it? Saw them in Dublin in 2009, it was brilliant, can't wait for them to come back to Ireland*. :D

(*Didn't get to see them in Marley Park.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Green Day will come back, I'd say before the end of 2012 or early 2013. I just pray my favourite band doesnt play that kip Oxegen again, because I swore I would never go back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Green Day have reportedly previewed a fair bit of new material at recent shows in the US.

You never know they might just have a new album out by the time Oxegen comes around and they may make an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

They have actually played 4 secret shows and previewed 31 songs, including the one they played for us at the soundcheck in Dublin last year

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greatbuzzman

Chance of some Kid Cudi? Deadmau5, Nero? Bloody Beetroots? Beastie Boys, Arcade Fire? Bloc Party or Kele, Daft Punk for a comeback, Florence and the Machine is a huge possibility.. She was class at Oxegen 2010.. Kanye West could be headlining. Chance of the Pixies? Maybe Vampire Weekend? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

2 day festival in fairyhouse at 2004 prices (140 for the 3 night camping :) ). with less filler acts since it went to a 3 day festival. and headliners other than Killers, Snow Patrol, MUSE, Foo fighters, KOL who have all headlined twice in the last 6 oxegens.

Then I might be interested. but at 25, im really too old for oxegen! its full of 17-20 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Stone Roses confirmed to be headlining T in the Park 2012.

If there will be a Oxegen they will announce Stone Roses soon then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeBlanka

Chance of some Kid Cudi? Deadmau5, Nero? Bloody Beetroots? Beastie Boys, Arcade Fire? Bloc Party or Kele, Daft Punk for a comeback, Florence and the Machine is a huge possibility.. She was class at Oxegen 2010.. Kanye West could be headlining. Chance of the Pixies? Maybe Vampire Weekend? :)

I like the way you're thinking. A bit of Skrillex in there too and I will camp in the Electric Ballroom(or this years equivalent) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

If there will be a Oxegen they will announce Stone Roses soon then

Stone Roses are doing Slane though?? Would they do them both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Stone Roses are doing Slane though?? Would they do them both?

Not confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Oh, I thought they were, shows how much I know :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wingnut84

i've been going since back in the days of witness and fairy house and for people to be coming out and saying you'd rather it be in the phoenix park as there would be no camping and you could go home/to a hotel at night ?? you people are muppets , the whole essence of a MUSIC FESTIVAL is muddy campsites for 3 or four days getting sauced with your mates and some random strangers you just met in the tents next to yours and enjoying some good bands in the pissing rain and saying why cant every weekend be like this , if this isnt for you then off you hop to the nice warm 02 for westlife's farewell gig !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

wingnut84 wrote: »
    i've been going since back in the days of witness and fairy house and for people to be coming out and saying you'd rather it be in the phoenix park as there would be no camping and you could go home/to a hotel at night ?? you people are muppets , the whole essence of a MUSIC FESTIVAL is muddy campsites for 3 or four days getting sauced with your mates and some random strangers you just met in the tents next to yours and enjoying some good bands in the pissing rain and saying why cant every weekend be like this , if this isnt for you then off you hop to the nice warm 02 for westlife's farewell gig !!!!!!!!

Dead fciking right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No its not. I cant stand people falling drunk around the festival site. My first experience of Witnness was the first year in 2000, i missed it once until 2008 and havent been back since. Scumbags ruined what was the best thing about an irish summer. A "MUSIC FESTIVAL" as you put it is about the music, not camping, not getting píssed, not meeting strangers etc.

Melion wrote: »
    No its not. I cant stand people falling drunk around the festival site. My first experience of Witnness was the first year in 2000, i missed it once until 2008 and havent been back since. Scumbags ruined what was the best thing about an irish summer. A "MUSIC FESTIVAL" as you put it is about the music, not camping, not getting píssed, not meeting strangers etc.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Arcade Fire?

Won't be touring for a few years, until their next album, and I'm fairly sure they'll be going to Electric Picnic even then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

+1 to this. A music festival should be primarily about the music. In my opinion it is the people who are there to get drunk and sit around the campsite, ignoring the music, that have caused the drop in numbers of people attending and sorta ruined camping. In fairness the poster a few posts up did say he was there for music too, Im not lumping him in with that crowd. Id be all for it in the phoenix park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

It is not would you go away out of that.

No one would chunk out €240 for all that s*** without something that can give them their money's worth and that something is the music.

Drinking is hugely overrated and should not be such a big part of why people love music festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

I wouldn't so sanctimoniuous as to dictate to people why they should enjoy a music festival. Different strokes for different folks. Some go purely for the music, others for the craic in the campsite, most for a mixture of both and plenty of other things besides. Ultimately the music is the honey pot that draws in the crowds, but personally the banter and craic with mates and like-minded revellers is a major part of the attraction.

I've had festivals where I've spent a good chunk of time having a laugh on the fairground rides and hanging around with randomers you'll never talk to again. All part of the heady mix that brings us back year after year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jeden wrote: »
    I wouldn't so sanctimoniuous as to dictate to people why they should enjoy a music festival. Different strokes for different folks. Some go purely for the music, others for the craic in the campsite, most for a mixture of both and plenty of other things besides. Ultimately the music is the honey pot that draws in the crowds, but personally the banter and craic with mates and like-minded revellers is a major part of the attraction.

I've had festivals where I've spent a good chunk of time having a laugh on the fairground rides and hanging around with randomers you'll never talk to again. All part of the heady mix that brings us back year after year.

I disagree totally. I could get a tent and a group of mates and find a field somewhere and have a weekend like that. I can never understand the attitude of paying €300 for a ticket, €100+ for food and drink just to sit in a dirty muddy campsite from Thursday to Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

I disagree totally. I could get a tent and a group of mates and find a field somewhere and have a weekend like that. I can never understand the attitude of paying €300 for a ticket, €100+ for food and drink just to sit in a dirty muddy campsite from Thursday to Monday.

Well therein lies the crux of what I was saying, different people enjoy different aspects of the festival experience, or lend greater weight to the various components of it.

You could get a group of mates in a field but would there be 40,000 other people there to buzz off? Clearly not, the music is what draws people in, but you can't have a chat and a joke with the band members, you can enjoy their tunes but after the music is over there's lots of craic to be had in the campsites.

Personally I'd say the music is 60% of the reason I shell out my hard-earned. It's not a mutually exclusive thing that you can only enjoy the music but not all the other ingredients that make up a good festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Stone Roses, Lady Gaga preliminarily booked for an MCD event in July....
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/11/08/time-for-some-summer-festival-2012-speculation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

because going to oxegen is the fashionable thing thing to do in the summer. the camp sites used to be great craic at oxegen before all the scum kept breaking into the festival. That being said come 1pm I was in the festival site, and didnt return until the last band played every night. I lived with a guy in college, he was at oxegen 05, and only left the camp site to see the killers, and went back after. In my opinion, that was the best oxegen

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

I would love to see it move somewhere different. Would refresh the entire Oxegen brand I think if it did

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I have to agree with this! :P Of course it is primarily about the music,that's what everyone pays to see. But it would be nothing without a bit of craic and banter. Despite the good few scumbags that roam around the place the atmosphere there is second to none and what made it such a great experience for me was making friends with random people and having a laugh. Going to see the acts is great but its better if you have friends to jostle and turn to and scream the lyrics at :D No better way to loosen up either than to have a few beers! I didnt get shitfaced off drink for the 4 days i was there but i can tell you everybody that did had a great time too! To quote something that I find is regularly said here on boards "each to their own!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

The Red Hot Chili peppers gig in croke park will be their only irish concert that year.

I'd say its gonna be a pretty bad line up. I'd love to see U2 though.
    doubt it'll happen but heres hoping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Brendog wrote: »
    The Red Hot Chili peppers gig in croke park will be their only irish concert that year..

Dreams = Shattered

Advertisement