Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with Occupational Therapist

Options
  • 24-07-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

A family member is partially disabled and is home a couple of months so we are adapting to the changes that comes with their condition. A lot of the equipment was sorted before they left hospital (in a different area) and since moving home the local OT has been less than useless. She's never available to talk, "she'll ring you back" :rolleyes: and I get the impression she's been doing stuff to suit herself more than anything else (too complicated to go into)

Anyway, we needed 1 particular item and asked her would we be entitled to it, gratis? She said no, "no money, blah, blah"; so fine, we got the money together as it really is a necessary piece of kit.

In the meantime, a family friend who was talking to the head-office in the region (their job would have them in contact) and it turns out the OT never even asked. The friend kinda lost the plot and, fair play to them, the unit was cleared for funding that day.

And it was left up to the OT to order the unit, which was about a month ago and still no sign of it. Whenever she's asked where it is, when'll it be here - "these things take time" This whole toing and froing has been going on since March and is getting very frustrating right now. We're afraid to say anything as she is in a very high position and we don't want to burn any bridges if the situation worsens down the road. But at this point, I feel like calling down to her and pulling her over her desk and kicking the sh*t out of her. Not that I would, but just saying to convey my anger at her right now.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Anger Management classes?

just kidding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Tell her you urgently need this piece of equipment and you don't feel she is doing enough to supply it. If she is still dragging her heels complain to her superiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

She is the superior for the region! We were talking to a very friendly subordinate of hers today and she actually managed to give us some insightful information about when the equipment will be in, hopefully we'll have a date in the next day or 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So she's the care co-ordinator as such? Tough situation alright and I understand why you don't want to burn bridges. It's not really on that she's been stalling. I hope things work out for you. I presume putting your thoughts down on paper has occurred to you, but you're perhaps a little reluctant to try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

We'll see how it pans out, I was looking about making a complaint to the HSE via the citizens info website to see the procedure that has to be gone through.

We've been talking to others in our locale in a similiar situation, nepotism seems to be the order of the day with this wagon :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement