Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying GTX580 Abroad with.... UPS :S

Options
  • 24-07-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Okay GTX 580 prices are still huge at the moment but I spied one over at a US online store at 358.569 euro including shipping.. May I also add that the shipping to Ireland was an astonishing $70... and its still cheaper than here...

Well I suppose what can you expect... its 1.5 kilos of pure tech shipping overseas. Anyway I know the site is legit but just a bit shoddy on returns. So hopefully no faults! :p

If you can tell me an even cheaper site over in the US that preferably has cheaper shipping.. tell me.

Here is the website and page for the GTX 580!

They ship with UPS expedited service and I've been hearing stories about UPS charging additional cash for customs or vat or something on arrival nowadays. Can anyone tell me would I be affected and... affected big time on my order? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Honestly, I would stick to buying one from here.

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-geforce-gtx-580-782mhz-1536mb-pci-express-hdmi--directcu-ii--7FWL.html?refs=460700000 (A better card :P)

It's only €40 more and you won't have to deal with the nightmare in the off chance it cocks up/gets lost en route. There is also the chance of customs. 10% import iirc PLUS 20% VAT. Not worth the gamble imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

You'll be hit with VAT on top of the purchase and delivery price if you're caught IIRC
    Customs duty will follow. I can't remember the rate but its not a huge amount usually.

The fact that its a large, heavy ish box won't help.

You'd be safer getting it shipped to a relative/friend in the states and getting them to send it on. You'd save a bundle on shipping at the least.

You could also get them to open the box/break the seals and then reseal and send it on. Reason being you can claim it was used and therefore has a reduced value.

HTH

EDIT: I'd certainly go with Leman's suggestion personally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Um, that card is €100 more, and that's not including delivery.

I go with the US card, if it were me. Having said that... there might be a 580 going up on Adverts in the next couple of days... *ahem*

Serephucus wrote: »
    Um, that card is €100 more, and that's not including delivery.

I go with the US card, if it were me. Having said that... there might be a 580 going up on Adverts in the next couple of days... *ahem*

Err, $434 is €302. 514 US$ = €358. The Asus card is €399 with free delivery. €399 - €358 = €41.

Were it not for the $70 shipping and the nightmare if it's faulty, I would buy one myself!

Of course, if you can get a friend to buy it, break the seals, and send it you you ad a gift...

Leman wrote: »
    The Asus card is £399 with free delivery. £399 (€454) - €358 = €96.

Fixed. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

€384

€400

€393

Here is a few that are in the same ball park - not worth saving $40 if you are going to be caught with vat and duty. They have clamp down on this from what i have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

Honestly, I would stick to buying one from here.

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-geforce-gtx-580-782mhz-1536mb-pci-express-hdmi--directcu-ii--7FWL.html?refs=460700000 (A better card :P)

It's only €40 more and you won't have to deal with the nightmare in the off chance it cocks up/gets lost en route. There is also the chance of customs. 10% import iirc PLUS 20% VAT. Not worth the gamble imo.

yeah thats 400 pound as in dabs.com not dabs.ie... thats not 40 euro more thats about 100 euro more (453 euro excluding shipping). Pound to euro is much bigger than you think. A hundred euro is a big deal.

EDIT: thanks for fixing @serephucus ;)

Herp Derp I need to read betters!

Herp Derp I need to read betters!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway! :D

UPDATE: I just realised that one of my relatives owns a place over in America near the headquarters in California and he's heading there soon... I'm a lucky man. Make that 358.. about 310 if I pull it off. Now how am I going to get it through customs. I think he'll have to take it on as hand luggage. Any suggestions? Thanks guys for all the previous comments BTW..

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter how he takes it; as far as airport customs is concerned, it's something he bought, and it's his.

Couple of Summers ago I came home from Canada with the following in my suitcase:

Two GTX 480s, a H50, SSD, sound card, RAM, and Alienware laptop. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happened (except that one of the security guys insisted on taking a coffee break to see how my M17x handled Crysis. :P).

Serephucus wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how he takes it; as far as airport customs is concerned, it's something he bought, and it's his.

Couple of Summers ago I came home from Canada with the following in my suitcase:

Two GTX 480s, a H50, SSD, sound card, RAM, and Alienware laptop. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happened (except that one of the security guys insisted on taking a coffee break to see how my M17x handled Crysis. :P).

Great news, thanks for the quick reply.. :D..... Gotta love Crysis.. Can't wait for this GTX 580.. I have an ATi 5850 Twin Frozr II thats served me well, but unfortunately drivers have really gone to muck since the HD6000 series came out and its not gonna get any better... :( Plus despite being a DX11 card its DX11 capabilities are quite crap in comparison to the new nvidia GTX 500 series cards especially in tesselation. It got murdered by Crysis 2's new patch... :eek: Plus I'm sort of getting myself ready for Battlefield 3. I've waited 6 years... It better play well! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Hi all,

I'm looking at the gtx 580 myself. Do you think it'll fit on a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R? I'm not sure how much board space I need. It'd be a crushing disappointment if I hit a snag during assembly.

Also, is there a huge difference between the 3gb and the 1.5gb versions? Apart from the price of course!

I'd imagine the prices will come down around black friday. This year black friday occurs on the 25th and cyber monday occurs on the 28th.

Wikipedia says cyber monday is observed in United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Portugal (VAT @ 23&), and Germany (VAT @ 19%). Might see a few deals on the german sites. Echt toll :)

Shtanto wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking at the gtx 580 myself. Do you think it'll fit on a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R? I'm not sure how much board space I need. It'd be a crushing disappointment if I hit a snag during assembly.

Also, is there a huge difference between the 3gb and the 1.5gb versions? Apart from the price of course!

I'd imagine the prices will come down around black friday. This year black friday occurs on the 25th and cyber monday occurs on the 28th.

Wikipedia says cyber monday is observed in United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Portugal (VAT @ 23&), and Germany (VAT @ 19%). Might see a few deals on the german sites. Echt toll :)

Hey there, its the OP, your lucky I'm still subscribed to this thread, cause this is dead and gone a good 4 months! :P I would say it'll fit on the board you should be more worried about your PC case/chassis that the board sits in. I can tell you if you have an Antec 300, it fits with just about an inch to spare. :eek: which is a relatively small case. BTW that board, I think its time to upgrade when Intel's Ivy bridge comes along ;) It could be a serious bottleneck in performance.

About the 1.5GB/3GB GTX 580, AFAIK, no difference apart from obviously the VRAM (1.5GB/3GB) and you will unlikely see much of a difference unless you have a seriously stressful benchmark or game with multi-display setups.

Your buying in the US too? I ended up buying mine second-hand on Amazon believe it or not for 300 quid. :eek: I was chuffed! Worked a charm, but soon found I needed a CPU upgrade too when I got home in Ireland. The X4 955 is seriously lacking in the threaded performance side of things. So I bought a 990FX board specially for the release of Bulldozer thinking it would demolish (excuse the pun) sandy bridge..... I was wrong. It became a complete flop... :mad: So annoyed... Now I have to wait till next year to get the next line which will probably end up cr*p too... Disaster. :o

Anywho... :P Back on topic, the prices will go down especially since they will probably release the new line of Nvidia cards at the end of this year (i.e GTX 680?) and those holidays will cut the price too. Happy hunting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Thanks for the reply. Mine's an Antec P182. Nice quiet case with good cable management. Best do some measuring to make sure.

Not sure if my power supply will have the right connectors. The gtx 580 needs an 8 pin. I have a Silencer 750W. It's very efficient and not too noisy. Hopefully, there's a molex adaptor for this sort of thing

Advertisement