Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

average accomodation price in maynooth?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Could anyone tell me the average price of accomodation in maynooth?..and what areas are good to live in?..close to college etc..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Kilcock, just a few mins out the road from the campus and a lovely little village, trains and buses to Maynooth regularly.

Average price for that area depends whether you want to live alone, or a couple or share. If its to share, im sorry but I dont have a clue because I never want to share again. It's awful.
    But theres lovely estates in Maynooth that have share houses.

Good luck. Check Daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

There are no Dublin Bus buses from Kilcock to Maynooth any more and the train is regular if you call 5 or 6 times a day regular. Unless you drive do not live in Kilcock.

As for an average price it's difficult to calculate as it depends on what sort of room and house you're looking for. A single room can cost anything from 50 euro a week to 75 or 80 euro. Doubles can go from 75 to 110 euro a week, more expensive if they're ensuite. The age and how modern the house is will also affect the rent. If you're a young undergrad you'll find it difficult to rent a place away from the more tenement like dives that go with that territory. If you're a postgrad or mature student you can normally get a nicer place for a bit more money.

As for location, in my opinion, nowhere in Maynooth is far from the college but I cycle so it doesn't really bother me. There are nice estates out on the Straffan Road side, Maynooth Park, Greenfield Drive, Carton Court, Kingsbury, etc, are all nice and are quiet too.

Daft is your best bet, just go see a tonne of places in a day or two and pick the best one!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrcurious

Bubs99 wrote: »
    If its to share, im sorry but I dont have a clue because I never want to share again. It's awful.

how come it was so bad?.i shared before and didnt find it too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

LeixlipRed wrote: »

As for an average price it's difficult to calculate as it depends on what sort of room and house you're looking for. A single room can cost anything from 50 euro a month to 75 or 80 euro. Doubles can go from 75 to 110 euro a month, more expensive if they're ensuite. ...

Month or week? Week I'd assume, I reckon everyone would be living out there if a double with an ensuite was €110 :pac:

Oops :P I meant a week of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Kilcock, just a few mins out the road from the campus and a lovely little village, trains and buses to Maynooth regularly.

The trains aren't regular at all and are pricey (Irish Rail consider Kilcock to be outside the commuter ticket area and the ticket price from Kilcock to Maynooth was about €5 one way until recently)

And Kilcock is noted for being a place where nothing of note ever happens.

Daft.ie is your best bet, but if your a first year, it can be hard to find accommodation, don't get discouraged

thanks for the info everyone, can anyone tell me how much deposits usually are?..im told is basically a months rent plus the first months rent aswel..

iv had a look on daft also and there seems to be lots on offer and considering maynooth is fairly small everywhere is within walking distance really..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

mrcurious wrote: »
    thanks for the info everyone, can anyone tell me how much deposits usually are?..im told is basically a months rent plus the first months rent aswel..

iv had a look on daft also and there seems to be lots on offer and considering maynooth is fairly small everywhere is within walking distance really..

A deposit should be one months rent but the landlord may ask you to pay the 1st month's rent at the same time. Get a receipt for the deposit

Yeh, never pay more than a month's rent as a deposit. Also, always pay the deposit to the landlord and get a receipt as lordgoat says. Also, if the landlord is legit he'll want to register you with the PRTB and sign a lease. This is important is you may need to prove your registration as a tenant for tax purposes, grant applications, etc,.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

the average is 320 a month for a room depending on the size/ type of room and the std of accomodation.

• Advertisement

gigawatt wrote: »
    the average is 320 a month for a room depending on the size/ type of room and the std of accomodation.

That is nowhere near average.

You should be paying no more than €300 a month for a double bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

irish_goat wrote: »
    That is nowhere near average.

You should be paying no more than €300 a month for a double bed.

Depends. It's not objective.

In a ****ty undergrad place you can get a room for less than that alright. But if you want an actual double bedroom and not just a double bed in a half decent place, a quick scan of daft will tell you the average is over 300.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    In a ****ty undergrad place you can get a room for less than that alright. But if you want an actual double bedroom and not just a double bed in a half decent place, a quick scan of daft will tell you the average is over 300.

I doubt the OP is looking for anything overly fancy. My last 2 houses cost €300 and €275 a month and were both quite nice and weren't exclusively for students/****ty undergrads.

****ty undergrads, yes, exactly what I said, how witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Either way the prices are hugely inflated.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60331346

Made this poll almost two years ago, the prices have p much stayed the same even when they've dropped right across the country :/

Tbh I'd like to see the Uni clamp down on Landlords artificially increasing the prices of rooms in Maynooth just because they know there will be a demand for it with the university.
    Maybe to get on the "residents list" in the future they should have to offer a price with all bills included and below a certain amount per month(ie not extortionary).

As it stands the residents office just offer a list of available accommadation and tbh it would be very simple to setup a rating system with it.

Simply anyone who views the house/has lived there previously could then write a review by loggin in with their student number and pin.

A proactive approach like that from the residents office would save all students a lot of time, grief and money.
    I'm sure everyone at some point has had an issue with a landlord, a service like the one I've described could really improve the situation not only on cost but also fairness and honesty which is often bereft of landlords.

Effluo wrote: »
    Tbh I'd like to see the Uni clamp down on Landlords artificially increasing the prices of rooms in Maynooth just because they know there will be a demand for it with the university.
    Maybe to get on the "residents list" in the future they should have to offer a price with all bills included and below a certain amount per month(ie not extortionary).

It's not the business of the university to be interfering with the housing market. If landlords want to charge high prices they can but anyone stupid enough to pay those prices has only themselves to blame. Why would landlords bother reducing their prices when they continually get people willing to pay them?

The rating system idea is cool though.

I figured part of the residence office's job is to look after students accommodation. Tackling inflated rent prices would certainly fall into that criteria, although they have very limited tools to do that.

The only tool which they do have, is the accommodation list which they create every year. If they regulate that to only allow landlords who charge reasonable rents to advertise on it, then they would have a good chance of reducing the rents on a whole. Even if they only managed to reduce rents by €10/month on each room every year then it would be a success.

They could also make a set contract for both parties to help combat dodgey landlords and promote fairness. The one off cost of making that contract would deffo be worth it imo.

I'd assume most landlords in maynooth actually get their rooms filled by using the NUIM residence's list service. So although it may be the college's only tool for helping students achieve more fair rents, it could well still get some results.

Also:
    On the idea that everyone who pays over the odds for their accommodation have themselves to blame...
    Well I don't think I'm a complete idiot, but for every year in maynooth I've been paying around €400/month for a room and believe me I had virtually no choice in the matter. And I've known countless other people who have been paying similar and have had no real choice either. It seems to be pay over the odds for a sh*thole or get a house which doesn't have mouldy walls and broken facilities and pay over the odds for that.

It's all down to supply and demand.

If students stopped paying the high prices and sought out the cheaper (but not necessarily poorer quality) housing then average prices would go down as the expensive landlords would need to drop their rent in order to find tenants.

How much on average do the expenses cost ESB etc.?

• Advertisement

ESB for me was normally €30 a month average.
    Gas was about €30 as well but rose to €50-60 in the winter when it was freezing.

It all depends on what you and your housemates are like though. Some people seem to think heating is free and run it constantly so that obviously puts the price up. Oil is more expensive as well and needs to be paid in advance in one go.

Not sure if it's true either but people always say girls cost more on electric cause they use hair dryers and straighteners every other day, but then a fella with a guitar amp could cost just as much if not more.

€60 a month would be a conservative estimate but you should always be prepared to pay a bit more. Always hold onto your receipts too incase other housemates don't pay up and the landlord tries to charge all of you for arrears.

Oh and throw in an extra €10 or so if you're plan on getting internet/TV.

irish_goat wrote: »
    If students stopped paying the high prices and sought out the cheaper (but not necessarily poorer quality) housing then average prices would go down as the expensive landlords would need to drop their rent in order to find tenants.

k,

So lets go magic up some more houses which are in good condition and offer cheaper rents...

Wait a second... They don't exist and at least certainly not in the volume which would allow every student in Maynooth to be housed. The last 2 years I've had to pick a house at the last minute due to working abroad/repeats and I can tell you a few lucky, well prepared people might get those houses by setting up the arrangement before the end of the previous semester, but come August/September there is nothing but overpriced shoddy accommodation.

k,

So lets go magic up some more houses which are in good condition and offer cheaper rents...

Wait a second... They don't exist and at least certainly not in the volume which would allow every student in Maynooth to be housed. The last 2 years I've had to pick a house at the last minute due to working abroad/repeats and I can tell you a few lucky, well prepared people might get those houses by setting up the arrangement before the end of the previous semester, but come August/September there is nothing but overpriced shoddy accommodation.

The university trying to impose a maximum rent isn't going to help solve that problem, it'll probably only make it worse. If you force a landlord of an "overpriced and shoddy" property to accept a lower rent he/she is far less likely to spend money on the place and the overall quality of housing will go down. Furthermore you'll have some landlords who aren't happy to accept the newer lower price and won't bother renting to students at all, decreasing the number of houses available(which in turn drives rent up).

Man srsly, wth are you talking about? Are you disagreeing for the sake of it now?

Tbh it doesn't matter a f*ck what conclusions we come to, we're two people talking on an internet forum.

Are the rental prices in Maynooth artificially high? Yes
    Should something be tried to be done about it? Yes
    Will doing what I said have a chance at improving, the standard of accommodation and costs for students? Possibly

That's as far as I'm taking this

o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Jazis, chill the beans everyone!

Or start a protest, either way I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

mrcurious wrote: »
    How much on average do the expenses cost ESB etc.?

Depends on how many people yo have in the house, and how much you use it obviously. But this year, with 5 of us in the house, we paid €25 every two months for ESB, then €10 a month each on interwebs, and twice we put in €50 for oil. Gotta say though, worth getting more oil, it just happened that I was the only one in our house with a job so none of the others could afford any more at the time. But it was freezing, and we had no heating during any of the snow, actually took to burning paper/copies, and staying warm by candles during the sad times :p

But that along with our €260 a month rent, was pretty cheap house wise!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Man srsly, wth are you talking about? Are you disagreeing for the sake of it now?

Tbh it doesn't matter a f*ck what conclusions we come to, we're two people talking on an internet forum.

Are the rental prices in Maynooth artificially high? Yes
    Should something be tried to be done about it? Yes
    Will doing what I said have a chance at improving, the standard of accommodation and costs for students? Possibly

That's as far as I'm taking this

o/

Artificially high? What are you on about? No they're not. They are that price due to demand for them.

There are a good few cheaper places out there but if you want a decent place you'll pay 300 a month and upward.

You also ignore that Intel rent houses on mass from estate agents in maynooth and are undertaking an expansion at the moment so there is extra pressure on houses from them as well.

Rent prices are always artificially high, as most landlords are scammers. Look at the average prices in Maynooth in comparison to Leixlip, it's a decent bit more expensive here on average, a quick scan of daft will tell you that. And as far as I'm aware Intel have hired about 200 new staff, hardly an "expansion". They also laid off 300 people last year which gives you a net loss of staff. But don't let that get in your way of your argument.

To rent a room in a small village in the middle of Kildare should not cost the same or more as the equivalent quality of accommodation in the nations capital city.

That makes little economic sense.

Students in Maynooth by in large are being screwed

• Advertisement

But sure the market dictates the price right, supply=demand. Except they always forget the money hungry bastard part of that equation ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement