Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

average accomodation price in maynooth?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Rent prices are always artificially high, as most landlords are scammers. Look at the average prices in Maynooth in comparison to Leixlip, it's a decent bit more expensive here on average, a quick scan of daft will tell you that. And as far as I'm aware Intel have hired about 200 new staff, hardly an "expansion". They also laid off 300 people last year which gives you a net loss of staff. But don't let that get in your way of your argument.

Maynooth a far nicer place to live than Leixlip. Hence why Intel and HP block rent houses in maynooth from estate agents there more than they do in Leixlip and Cellbridge.

I do love a good jim corr theory. To rent a room or a house in cc dublin is dearer than in maynooth. If you think otherwise, you're wrong.

Supply and demand dictate the price, students in maynooth are getting no more screwed here than anywhere else in the country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

No one is getting screwed, you're not forced to rent a room at a high price. If you ask for/seek out a lower price you will get it. The landlords expecting higher prices only do so because they know people will pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60331346
    Tbh it doesn't matter a f*ck what conclusions we come to, we're two people talking on an internet forum.

Are the rental prices in Maynooth artificially high? Yes
    Should something be tried to be done about it? Yes
    Will doing what I said have a chance at improving, the standard of accommodation and costs for students? Possibly

That's as far as I'm taking this

o/

o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

lordgoat wrote: »
    Maynooth a far nicer place to live than Leixlip. Hence why Intel and HP block rent houses in maynooth from estate agents there more than they do in Leixlip and Cellbridge.

I do love a good jim corr theory. To rent a room or a house in cc dublin is dearer than in maynooth. If you think otherwise, you're wrong.

Supply and demand dictate the price, students in maynooth are getting no more screwed here than anywhere else in the country.

A far nicer place? That's just bizarre! I'm from Leixlip and in general Leixlip is much nicer. Most of the estates in Leixlip are a majority family homes hence the houses, public areas, etc, are in far better condition that in Maynooth.

Maynooth has a tesco which is about the only thing it has on Leixlip. The reason Intel block rent those houses in Maynooth is again because Maynooth has a high proportion of rented accommodation due to the proximity of the university. There are no mass of houses in Leixlip to block rent as families predominantly own those houses. Rents are higher in Maynooth to take advantage of the university and it's proximity.

Supply and demand don't dictate anything, greed dictates what landlords think they can get away with. If everything was a simple case of supply and demand I don't think we'd be staring down the barrel of worldwide financial meltdown, do you?

A far nicer place? That's just bizarre! I'm from Leixlip and in general Leixlip is much nicer. Most of the estates in Leixlip are a majority family homes hence the houses, public areas, etc, are in far better condition that in Maynooth.

Maynooth has a tesco which is about the only thing it has on Leixlip. The reason Intel block rent those houses in Maynooth is again because Maynooth has a high proportion of rented accommodation due to the proximity of the university. There are no mass of houses in Leixlip to block rent as families predominantly own those houses. Rents are higher in Maynooth to take advantage of the university and it's proximity.

Supply and demand don't dictate anything, greed dictates what landlords think they can get away with. If everything was a simple case of supply and demand I don't think we'd be staring down the barrel of worldwide financial meltdown, do you?

A comparison Jim Corr would actually be proud of. Landlords in maynooth contributed to the global financial meltdown. Amazing. Sorry not amazing deluded.

Oh yes Leixlip has so much more on maynooth let's see, well there's the amenity centre and hmmmm not a whole lot else imo.

Rents are higher in maynooth as more people want to rent there. There's no hidden evil landlords endemic to maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

A comparison Jim Corr would actually be proud of. Landlords in maynooth contributed to the global financial meltdown.

Eh?

Where did I say that? :D Carry on Lordgoat, it's entertaining to say the least. Love the way you haven't actually refuted or attempted to refute any of the factual stuff I put in my posts. Like this recruitment drive by Intel you mentioned. I even went onto the Intel website to check ;)

It's about the tenth facepalm I've done so far this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

Where did I say that? :D Carry on Lordgoat, it's entertaining to say the least. Love the way you haven't actually refuted or attempted to refute any of the factual stuff I put in my posts. Like this recruitment drive by Intel you mentioned. I even went onto the Intel website to check ;)

Well your posts are full of sensationalist drivel, but let me break it down for you.
    You stated that supply and demand don't dictate anything that greed does. You call landlords greedy.
    In the next sentence you then say if supply and demand did dictate things there would be no global crisis.
    This Implies that greed was the cause of it. (Naive pof if you think this by the way)
    You're in a thread about rent in maynooth.

So if you need the above in a crayon drawing i could probably knock one up for you?

My point is simple. More people want to rent in maynooth therefore it's more expensive. There are a range of houses of varying prices to be found in maynooth.

I can draw diagrams if you need?

Amazing that you are from a town and you didn't hear about this:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0115/intel.html

Also construction work started in June, an old housemate of mine started there with the first on site. You probably missed this as you were out, no doubt, involved in some leixlip based activities, of which there are so many.

I hope i have entertained you half as much as you have me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 watchingd

I'm from Leixlip and in general Leixlip is much nicer. Most of the estates in Leixlip are a majority family homes hence the houses, public areas, etc, are in far better condition that in Maynooth.

Never would have guessed you were from Leixlip......

Your opinion may be that Leixlip is a far nicer area, but in reality its not. To say that Maynooth only has a Tesco is a joke. Looking past the obvious, which is the University/College, Maynooth has Manor Mills (which has among other things Dunnes), the tesco shopping area(Heatons + Maxi Zoo), Glen Royal gym + swimming pool (so thats two gyms/pools in Maynooth with the College), Carton Golf Course (Which has held the Irish Open), a better placed train station (based nicely in the center of town reachable from everywhere, unlike the pointless locations of Leixlips ones), and is serviced by multiple bus routes (including Dublin, Galway and others).

Maynooth may have more houses available to rent but that is due to it being a commuter town and university town but saying Leixlip is more family orientated is also laughable, Maynooth even has more schools (and a better variety) than Leixlip.

But hey if you think Leixlip is so much nicer than Maynooth feel free to move back there, the money you could save on rent would easily pay for your 66 bus in each day.

This thread isn't about who's town is better, it's about information on rent prices in Maynooth.
    If you want to discuss economics create a new thread.
    Otherwise please stick to the point guys, or the thread will be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sionnachrua

Last year I got a house from the student housing list available from the residence office, and this year I found one on daft.ie. I'm fairly sure that the houses on the list tend to be more expensive, or else they're just less value for money. I'd say the average there is 80 euro a week, but often you could be sharing a room for that, or the house is generally old and very cold in winter.

I would recommend looking on daft. I couldn't say what the average price is, but there's enough of a range in price that you could find something cheap enough. The houses tend to be better standard, the only problems you have to deal with are landlords of nice houses not wanting them to be messed up by students, and that many of them want you to sign to a one year lease. Landlords can be negotiated with though, so you might as well chance it. Good luck to all ye out there finding a house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Copperpiiipe

Anyone know what a landlord will ask for if your rent a house as a ''professional''?

I can get a reference letter pretty easily, just wondering if they want anything else. Asking this because any of the nice houses at decent prices are for either professionals or post grad students. Im not paying 300 and something quid for a **** house for my last year, so id rather lie my way into a nice house if I have to.

Edit: Sorry may be wrong place to post, just thought people here would know.

So intel are renting out houses for construction workers? Who wouldn't even be employed by them.... As for the your town is better than my town and you should move back there crap, I don't know why I engaged with that debate as I should've known the level of childishness people would stoop to.

As for the Maynooth has more schools argument, that is simply just wrong. Leixlip is a more populous town than Maynooth, it's true, see census 2006 results here. It has two post primary schools, Maynooth has one. Leixlip has 6 primary schools. I don't know how many Maynooth has but it's not 6 unless they're hiding them somewhere. Anyway, I'm done with this rubbish, good luck.

Irony.

Also any big company will block rent houses in this manner. Surely you can grasp the concept, first they rent them to the people that build the factory, then once they move on, rent them to the actual people who work there. Plus it also means they can offer accommodation for new employees with their contract. (very helpful if recruiting from overseas) So yes Intel do infact rent houses to construction workers.

ok, kewl

http://news.google.ie/news/more?pz=1&jfkl=true&cf=all&ned=en_ie&ncl=dnirF-iqzGF5pvM3z1Yw9AOeI0v_M&topic=h

According to the USI
    "MORE THAN 60 per cent of students are being “ripped off by rogue landlords”"

Now shurrup with your nonsense the lot of ye

Effluo wrote: »

My brother had his deposit kept for no reason, and he was all set to go to the Small Claims Court and everything, but his landlord was a drug lord that everyone in the area was terrified of, and he was afraid he'd come after him if he signed whatever it was he was supposed to sign.

How's that for an unscrupulous landlord! :P

http://news.google.ie/news/more?pz=1&jfkl=true&cf=all&ned=en_ie&ncl=dnirF-iqzGF5pvM3z1Yw9AOeI0v_M&topic=h

According to the USI
    "MORE THAN 60 per cent of students are being “ripped off by rogue landlords”"

Now shurrup with your nonsense the lot of ye

Did you read anything except the headline of that article? because i have and i'm struggling to find where it says that the rents being paid are too high by students renting in maynooth?

• Advertisement

Did you read anything except the headline of that article? because i have and i'm struggling to find where it says that the rents being paid are too high by students renting in maynooth?

Yes I did.

It makes a point of rogue landlords unfairly holding onto deposits. I never said it had anything to do with the extortionate and exceptionally high rental fees in Maynooth.

Nowa would ya shurrup

Yes I did.

It makes a point of rogue landlords unfairly holding onto deposits. I never said it had anything to do with the extortionate and exceptionally high rental fees in Maynooth.

Nowa would ya shurrup

Have a read of the title of the thread.

u mad?

I think he's mad.

Closing the thread,
    if you want to find out the average price of rent in Maynooth look on
    Daft.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement