Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

http://www.twitch.tv/consolecombat

Lee watch this Stream

You'll see a draw game like we were talking about today

It's between Filipnio Champ and GU Tayson

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Nutrient wrote: »
    http://www.twitch.tv/consolecombat

Lee watch this Stream

You'll see a draw game like we were talking about today

It's between Filipnio Champ and GU Tayson

lol

Tayson is random as f***...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I just watched this Lee.

You just became my favourite youtuber :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Fergus_ wrote: »
    You just became my favourite youtuber :D

You're dead to me!

You're dead to me!

*2nd behind Doom >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Fergus_ wrote: »
    *2nd behind Doom >_>

And in turn I'll make you dead for that.

(That was such a looong time ago. Back when my Vanilla Dante didn't work in Ultimate lol)

eOAFj.gif

I assume this is relevant to Seasons Beatings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

When we were heading up to Belfast for Roogles last tournament, I asked the Marvel players a question about learning their game:

For teaching a friend of mine AE, I took the approach with him of "Regardless of what character you like best, I'm teaching you to play Ryu until you're comfortable with the game, and we can move onto other chars later", because Ryu is such a good beginner character. Have you got a similar sort of advice to get a non-Marvel player started?

It was an interesting enough conversation, but we never really came to an consensus. Once we got back from Belfast, I submitted the same question to Viscant's mailbag to see what he said, and it made it into his brokentier update today:
    For Marvel my advice is to start with Magneto-A/Doom-B/Sentinel-A. Most people would tell a beginner to start with something different like a Wesker based team where you can learn everything right away and win a little bit while you learn. I don’t agree. I think that as long as the person is committed to learning the game they should bite off as much as they can chew.

With Magneto/Doom/Sentinel you have a team that has 3 strong assists and a team that has both flexibility and rigidity. The team is flexible in that you can play many different styles. You can zone with Magneto and Doom or you can attack hard behind Sentinel assist. You can play a more air based game behind magnetic blasts or photons or you can play a ground based game around EM Disruptors, plasma beams or missiles. You might find you really like Sentinel assist. You might find you don’t need it that much because Doom missiles fits your play style so much better. You might find you really like changing the team order and putting Magneto in the back. Or maybe you’ll like Doom in back. Lots of options here.

But then you look at what the team makes you learn. Missiles and drones are both outstanding assists but you have to be smart about how you protect them. Triangle jumps and square jumps are great opening tools but you’re going to learn real quick how to deal with someone up-backing you or you just aren’t going to win much. Magneto requires work to get his combos down. Doom requires work just to move around the screen. If you’re going to use TAC combos (and you should, all 3 of these characters have great TACs and infinites if you want to go there) you have to learn that also. The rigidity comes in how you have to actually sit down in training mode and work at the game. You’ll see results fast, it’s not like anything here is on Viper levels of difficulty but the team will make you put some hours in on training mode. So really the absolute best part is that the team will teach you how to play Marvel and how to improve your game. The biggest lesson a new Marvel player can learn is that it’s supposed to be hard. The moral of Marvel is that it’s pretty easy to pick up and play but the cutting edge stuff is always much harder than it looks. If you really want to get there you have to put in the time so you might as well start with that mentality.

And a great benefit of the team is that it’s a team you never have to leave. You may find you like something better and want to play other characters and that’s great. But you never really have to leave the team behind.

Do you guys agree/disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

I would agree if the guy is already a strong fg player or someone who truly wants to learn mvc. Like u could pick a more gimmicky team and get more wins early on but that won't force u to learn anything. Especially with mags and sentinel you need to know what's going on in every match up, you can't just go nuts and attack which is the wesker referance I'd say. Dooms everything is safe like wesker but atleast he has to think about gettin in if needs be.

He trimmed my question down a bit for the article, but the main point was "What's a good team for beginners to use to learn how to play UMvC3" and not
    "What's an easy team beginners can get wins with at the start?"

You can always move away from the team when you feel you understand the game, but the main point was getting that understanding.

For the sake of this topic, I think it's an interesting discussion piece; as long as you ignore that I asked the question and I'm crap.

The second part of the question he didn't answer, was
    "What to do with this new team initially as you're playing and learning?"

My Ryu example for this question was:
    • Throw fireballs then SRK if they jump
    • cr.mk -> Fireball is good
    • Walk or Dash. Try not to jump.
    • lp SRK -> Ultra is an easy big damage anti-air punish
    • DP -> FADC ->Ultra is a good intermediate execution goal to aim to overcome

What would you guys suggest for the Marvel team he suggests for beginners (assuming that mastering the TAC infinites for all three characters is an intermediate or advanced skill and not initially applicable)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Learn to protect your assist call. Call your assist and cover it with a beam/fireball/block + pushblock for the first few seconds. After that initial time frame, Doom and Sentinel cover themselves.

Get the hang of proper marvel movement. Don't just super jump across the screen to bridge a gap. Superjumping with most of the cast puts yourself in a mix up and allows your opponent to set up and call an assist. Wavedash and tri-dash across the screen after you've called the assist.

If you catch two characters in a combo confirm that you have the two of them in a juggle (sometimes they can fall out a bit later), then x-factor and kill em both. It's a huge moral and strength blow to lost two characters and if you kill em quick you'll get an x-factor mix up on the incoming character.

Don't pop lvl3 x-factor as soon as your last character comes. Unless you're in risk of being chipped you should generally use it offensively.

Always snap Phoenix, if she's got less than 4 bars.

Raw-tagging is a High-Risk, Low/Medium reward at high level, and you should not get into the habit of it. DHC a character in instead.

In general, always block when your 2nd/3rd character is on the way in. You CAN'T be thrown and you wont get meatied. Watch for the mix up.

Accept that you're going to die to bullsh*t you don't know about for the first few months. ALWAYS ask your opponent how you just got hit and how to avoid it/get around it.

Good stuff Onion!

And for initial familiarity with the characters themselves? How useful are the trials?

What would be the primary learning ground for someone who would only get 100% blown up in online/offline casuals?

Any good tri-dash specific tutorials?

Any good beginner Marvel tutorials at all? (I would honestly not know, without looking it up, how to do the inputs for DHC, TAC or alpha counter. I would hope they're in the manual that came with the game, haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Any chance of starting a tutorials thread (maybe sticky it) that people can put tutorials for any game into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    In general, always block when your 2nd/3rd character is on the way in. You CAN'T be thrown and you wont get meatied. Watch for the mix up.

What do you mean here Onion?

A properly timed meaty will work on incoming characters.

Speed Boat wrote: »
    What do you mean here Onion?

A properly timed meaty will work on incoming characters.

I think he means you'll always block a well timed meaty.

Good stuff Onion!

And for initial familiarity with the characters themselves? How useful are the trials?

What would be the primary learning ground for someone who would only get 100% blown up in online/offline casuals?

Any good tri-dash specific tutorials?

Any good beginner Marvel tutorials at all? (I would honestly not know, without looking it up, how to do the inputs for DHC, TAC or alpha counter. I would hope they're in the manual that came with the game, haha)

All I can think of is Finger Cramp baby Tutorials, watched this one and it seems helpful enough

This covers plink dashing

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

The deal of the week on XBL is showing Jill and Shuma with "save 200 ms points" over it, yet when I click on it they are coming up as 400 ?, wtf ?.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That finger cramp video was pretty good for movement. I'm not sure if I could break it down any better than that! The missions would give you a good idea of what your character can do, but unlike BB for instance, very few of the combos would be worth learning off. For BnBs you'd be best googling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

A Tron, Thor, She-Hulk, Shuma, Rocket Raccoon and a Ammy all in 1 match. Respect to Japanese players for their creativity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Thor grab hyper into she hulk aa grab hyper.

That ****'s just plain smart.

• Advertisement

Phoenix wright combo compilation is great. Good **** Lee, you got your own special thanks and all.

Can't link on phone

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Phoenix wright combo compilation is great. Good **** Lee, you got your own special thanks and all.

Can't link on phone

Thanks Doyler! I'm a little puzzled why Max left out the video editing I done RIGHT before (and after) my combo though, lol

Lythero wrote: »

Thanks Doyler! I'm a little puzzled why Max left out the video editing I done RIGHT before (and after) my combo though, lol

Yo Tell max he should do Avengers for next community compilation vid.
    And that you know just the guy for the job.

Yo Tell max he should do Avengers for next community compilation vid.
    And that you know just the guy for the job.

I'm very busy atm Doyler

You can handle Iron man's combos:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Lythero wrote: »

I love how on SRK all the comments are "All those combos sucked except for the last one". Lythero sucking all the love outta the thread.

That combo was god damn sick though. Picking up all three evidences mid combo and killing Thor is beautiful. Also, the way you started it from a full screen dash was a great way to show its viability. You're too prepared for your own good :P

Nutrient wrote: »
    I'm very busy atm Doyler

You can handle Iron man's combos:pac:

Sorry no second tier avengers Bucky

Sorry no second tier avengers Bucky

Okay, so I should handle ALL the combos?:P

3:05

Ben has never made me laugh so hard, almost bust a gut

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Hi all. I finally got UMvC3 and I'm frustrated that I didn't get into it sooner as I just TOTALLY love it! Anyway, I'm still cycling through different team combinations but I think I'm starting to settle on a couple of the characters, although to be fair, I still haven't used like 80% of the cast. Anyway, being a mainly Capcom-side dude (I don't know a whole lot about Marvel comics except for the main folks (e.g.: Wolverine, Spiderman etc.))
    I've been mainly using Ryu, Akuma and Dante but I've also been messing around with Wolverine and he seems really cool so I've taken out Akuma and put in Wolverine in that team but something tells me that Dante doesn't really fit with the play style of Ryu and Wolverine. But my issue is that I don't really know what is a suitable third member outside of using Akuma or Chris Redfield or Dante.
    Chris feels ridiculously slow nd Akuma is a bit tricky execution-wise on the juggle aspect so thats why I've settled with Dante but the fact that a lot of his combos don't connect unless you're playing against a huge character frustrates the hell outta me so I'm thinking of going with someone else so can anyone recommend a good third to Ryu and Wolverine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 7nationsoldier

so doom doesn't care about hitboxes anymore and dante just wants to dance really.

Advertisement