Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Hi all. I finally got UMvC3 and I'm frustrated that I didn't get into it sooner as I just TOTALLY love it! Anyway, I'm still cycling through different team combinations but I think I'm starting to settle on a couple of the characters, although to be fair, I still haven't used like 80% of the cast. Anyway, being a mainly Capcom-side dude (I don't know a whole lot about Marvel comics except for the main folks (e.g.: Wolverine, Spiderman etc.))
    I've been mainly using Ryu, Akuma and Dante but I've also been messing around with Wolverine and he seems really cool so I've taken out Akuma and put in Wolverine in that team but something tells me that Dante doesn't really fit with the play style of Ryu and Wolverine. But my issue is that I don't really know what is a suitable third member outside of using Akuma or Chris Redfield or Dante.
    Chris feels ridiculously slow nd Akuma is a bit tricky execution-wise on the juggle aspect so thats why I've settled with Dante but the fact that a lot of his combos don't connect unless you're playing against a huge character frustrates the hell outta me so I'm thinking of going with someone else so can anyone recommend a good third to Ryu and Wolverine?

When making a team, you first have to ask yourself "do i want to play keep away, or am i going to play rush down?".

Rush Down = The play style in with you're constantly in your opponents face putting pressure on them until they crack. (Offensive style)

Keep Away = the play style in which you fight from a distance via projectiles while having strong assists to prevent your opponent from getting in (Defensive play).

From the characters that you mentioned, i can suggest...

Rush Down: Wolverine, Dante (Weasel shot) and Akuma/Ryu (Hurricane Kick)

Keep Away: Chris, Dante (Jam Session) Akuma/Ryu (Hurricane Kick)

this game has a tricky learning curve due to the fact you have to learn 3 characters, but dont let characters whom have tricky execution put you off. just put some time into practise mode and you'll soon get the hang of things.

Also if you're in Dublin you can always come down to our regular "Offline Sessions" meetings at the XGC on Wednesdays or Saturdays

http://www.localmint.com/ie/xtreme-gaming-centre-lower-liffey-street-opening-hours-148

new players are always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Thanks 2gen. Yeah, I'm familiar with Rush Down and Turtle styles. I'm definitely a rush down player. I'm just afraid of using Akuma because I'll mess up juggling with his SRK after his Tatsu. For some reason in UMvC3 (in contrast to SSFIV), the timing seems harder to get right for the SRK after the Tatsu so I'm worried that I might get a great opportunity to punish an opponent's whiff and then I mess up the combo. I do have an alternative combo instead of using the Tatsu ender (L, M, H, F+H, L. Demon Flip, Demon Flip Punch, then its just the standard universal combo (L, M, H, S) and I juggle a bit in the air) so that combo doesn't involve the Tatsu at all but I still get good damage. I'll keep training with Akuma to get his Tatsu juggle right though for any other situations.

Thanks 2gen. Yeah, I'm familiar with Rush Down and Turtle styles. I'm definitely a rush down player. I'm just afraid of using Akuma because I'll mess up juggling with his SRK after his Tatsu. For some reason in UMvC3 (in contrast to SSFIV), the timing seems harder to get right for the SRK after the Tatsu so I'm worried that I might get a great opportunity to punish an opponent's whiff and then I mess up the combo. I do have an alternative combo instead of using the Tatsu ender (L, M, H, F+H, L. Demon Flip, Demon Flip Punch, then its just the standard universal combo (L, M, H, S) and I juggle a bit in the air) so that combo doesn't involve the Tatsu at all but I still get good damage. I'll keep training with Akuma to get his Tatsu juggle right though for any other situations.

there are plenty of combo/tutorial videos on Youtube. make sure to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

I'm just warning you guys now, I did a set with Nutrient last night, while he was working on his new team, and his brain melted really badly during it.

I mean it. His messages afterwards made were just crazy. D:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Nevflinn wrote: »
    I'm just warning you guys now, I did a set with Nutrient last night, while he was working on his new team, and his brain melted really badly during it.

I mean it. His messages afterwards made were just crazy. D:

lol I heard about my brother giving you abuse on my account, sry about that, he's 13

I sent the Brain melt message that was it:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

Nutrient wrote: »
    lol I heard about my brother giving you abuse on my account, sry about that, he's 13

I sent the Brain melt message that was it:pac:
    That is a reality I can accept. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Don't believe him.

He sent me horribly abusive messages too. Doyler even confirmed that he saw Nutrient do it.

Lythero wrote: »
    Don't believe him.

He sent me horribly abusive messages too. Doyler even confirmed that he saw Nutrient do it.

Tis a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Lythero wrote: »
    Don't believe him.

This is true. He was also laughing maniacally and overly touchy with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Classic Nutrient.

• Advertisement

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Classic Nutrient.

street-fighter-4-character-moves-list-sakura.jpg?1289244823

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKPtmY9dbED6l2I5rMO43siwAuEzXxS_VPXsI_TURbdx-5sTd7BQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTPUiih4aHr5e2QejFUkMxiP-QDx_rFwFvRWZY_0hueZLxnuhI

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuG1khFS3VmCGLILoJL2WcV7iOPnSs_UWMhVhlsqKEoRbGLNrzoQ

2gen wrote: »
    street-fighter-4-character-moves-list-sakura.jpg?1289244823

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKPtmY9dbED6l2I5rMO43siwAuEzXxS_VPXsI_TURbdx-5sTd7BQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTPUiih4aHr5e2QejFUkMxiP-QDx_rFwFvRWZY_0hueZLxnuhI

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuG1khFS3VmCGLILoJL2WcV7iOPnSs_UWMhVhlsqKEoRbGLNrzoQ

Thats our little Fergi-chan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Well played sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

2gen wrote: »
    spiderman-swag.gif

spider-meme-6.jpg

hlMRimBCzU1302398939292.jpg

!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭C0unter

D4RK ONION got link to that monitor you were talking about on Wednesday?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

C0unter wrote: »
    D4RK ONION got link to that monitor you were talking about on Wednesday?

It's not on the website I bought it from or amazon atm, but it was the BenQ G2420HD if you want to try search it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    It's not on the website I bought it from or amazon atm, but it was the BenQ G2420HD if you want to try search it out.

What's special about the monitor? I'm currently in the market for one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sairus wrote: »
    What's special about the monitor? I'm currently in the market for one.

Lagless and has an analogue audio out so perfect for hdmi.

Lagless and has an analogue audio out so perfect for hdmi.
    Good stuff. I shall try and pick one up then. Cheers!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I've played both Rock Band and Fighting Games on it, and I can tell you that the laglessness is seriously crisp. It's a joy to play music games on.

I got mine for €140~ at the time so have a look around for a similar price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I've played both Rock Band and Fighting Games on it, and I can tell you that the laglessness is seriously crisp. It's a joy to play music games on.

And this man both owns the wireless RB2 guitar that measures lag AND knows Chunkis.

He can't be wrong!

I couldn't find that model but came across this during my search,BenQ GL2450HM.
    Its the monitor mgl uses apparently.Costs around 150 Euro after shipping.

On a separate topic,more tools for viper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Dreddybajs wrote: »

Thats Deadpool's "Bolo Damage Scaling Glitch". the damage scaling rests with every bolo. unfortunately i dont have the right assists :(

The glitch dosent work outside of training mode though.Its a combo counter glitch similar to the desk found at the start of umvc3.If done on a real person they can block the bolo.

http://www.twitch.tv//mixupnight/b/335424580?utm_campaign=archive_embed_click&utm_source=www.eventhubs.com

some Japanese Marvel if anyone is interested. some funkey teams in this tourny.

I couldn't find the BenQ G2420HD in Akihabara, but I did come across a BenQ GL2450HM (MLG monitor) so I grabbed one of those. Cheers for the tips! (It's so strange having a job - and y'know money - and being able to afford to buy stuff). I haven't actually been able to use it because I forgot to buy a transformer for my 360, so it's currently just a very big and pretty looking paper weight.

On topic, I went to FinalRoundBats the other day. Thanks to a surprise full day of school on the Saturday I ended up missing the Marvel tournament, but I stayed around for casuals for several hours. It was pretty funny to hear the high level Marvel players standing behind me discussing the merits of the Morrigan/Shuma/Nemesis team I was dicking around with for a while.

"I'm not sure I agree with his putting Nemesis on anchor like that"
    "I dunno man, maybe he has all his option selects down. You don't put Nemesis there without a plan."

lol yeah. Option Selects. I totally know what I'm doing.

I couldn't find the BenQ G2420HD in Akihabara, but I did come across a BenQ GL2450HM (MLG monitor) so I grabbed one of those. Cheers for the tips! (It's so strange having a job - and y'know money - and being able to afford to buy stuff). I haven't actually been able to use it because I forgot to buy a transformer for my 360, so it's currently just a very big and pretty looking paper weight.

On topic, I went to FinalRoundBats the other day. Thanks to a surprise full day of school on the Saturday I ended up missing the Marvel tournament, but I stayed around for casuals for several hours. It was pretty funny to hear the high level Marvel players standing behind me discussing the merits of the Morrigan/Shuma/Nemesis team I was dicking around with for a while.

"I'm not sure I agree with his putting Nemesis on anchor like that"
    "I dunno man, maybe he has all his option selects down. You don't put Nemesis there without a plan."

lol yeah. Option Selects. I totally know what I'm doing.

Hmm, Marvel Option Selects eh

Get ready lads for lots of Haggar OS lariat tech

They may have said "Resets" and not "Option Selects". I dunno, I was mainly focusing on trying to make my Morrigan not look completely awful :pac:

Also, fun fact from Japan. Everyone calls MvC "MarvuCapu".

• Advertisement

They may have said "Resets" and not "Option Selects". I dunno, I was mainly focusing on trying to make my Morrigan not look completely awful :pac:

Also, fun fact from Japan. Everyone calls MvC "MarvuCapu".

Nemesis has some sick kara grab and resets

Main one I've seen is F+H into comand grab, some serious range behind it.

Advertisement