Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackheads/pores

• 24-07-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I know this has been done many times before, but I've searched and can't find anything.

around my nose I've always had reddish kinda pores. when i scrub there with a face mask kinda thing some of it goes away, but never all of it. it looks so dirty all the time, and i'm sick of it.

when i was younger i used to have this thing from boots, it was a charcoal face mask, and it was great for completely clearing it all. but nothing i've tried since will get rid of them.

i've tried these Biore strips that everyone seems to recommend, but they did absolutely nothing.

i'm willing to try somethings but i'm going to be broke if i keep going, and getting no results. does anyone have good suggestions. i'd be willing to pay something decent for it, as long as it works. if anyone knows of anything that works, i'd like suggestions. thanks

i don't know if they're just big pores or its dirt. as i said some of it goes away with scrubbing, but keeps coming back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I'm sure it's blackheads and they will come back all the time if the correct skin care regime is not followed to minimize them.

If you found the charcoal mask helpful Origins do a version also.
    http://www.totalbeauty.com/reviews/product/505538/origins-clear-improvement-active-charcoal-mask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Alter_me

tan11ie wrote: »
    I'm sure it's blackheads and they will come back all the time if the correct skin care regime is not followed to minimize them.

If you found the charcoal mask helpful Origins do a version also.
    http://www.totalbeauty.com/reviews/product/505538/origins-clear-improvement-active-charcoal-mask

thank you. could you tell me if that brand is available in ireland? it'd be a bit awkward having to order it online, but I'd do it if I have no choice. again thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Love these for around the nose area. It's best to use them the minute you get out of the shower when the steam has opened up your pores.

I got these in Boots for under a tenner.

Biore Ultra Deep Cleansing Pore Strips. You get 6 in the packet.
    1021202_max.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Those nose strips are a waste on me, they get off like 3 or 4 blackheads which could easily be done themselves.

Try some make up perhaps like the Benefit Pore concealer (the name escapes me, sorry). I have quite large pores and a red nose but my powder usually hides them.

EDIT: You can get Origins in Debenhams, not sure about that product though but even still be wise about it because they mark up the prices like no one's business. A moisturiser that is $18 (€14) on the official website is €28 in Debenhams.

These are brilliant as well but I haven't been able to find them lately.

AAAAC_841vAAAAAAAEOWGA.jpg?v=1239921190000

Clean&Clear Blackhead clearing daily cleansing pads. I'd recommend all the Clean & Clear range I've found it to be very good.

• Advertisement

Clean & Clear pads on my skin is like acid, they make my face come out all red. Avoid like the plaque if you have sensitive skin/rosy face already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Resi12 wrote: »
    Clean & Clear pads on my skin is like acid, they make my face come out all red. Avoid like the plaque if you have sensitive skin/rosy face already.

I found that the hard way. My face actually bled :(but their face washes are milder and lovely. A new one out now in a yellow tube i've found is quite good for removing blackheads

My skin is quite sensitive and I have a pink undertone to my skin, they've never reacted badly to my skin anytime I've used them. I think it's only a matter of trying out different products and seeing which works for you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

The Sanctuary range in boots do a charcoal mask. It's a grey coloured sachet, around €2 each. If it doesn't work out for you, it won't break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Mario Badescu silver powder is amazing http://www.beautybay.com/skincare/mariobadescu/silverpowder/

It's a powder, you dip a damp cotton wool ball into it and then spread it on your face and it turns into a paste, i've had it for a few years and the jar is still practically full so it will last you forever.

I got mine in Harvey Nichols in Dundrum a few years ago and I don't know if they still sell Mario Badescu products but if you're in Dublin you should check.

Loads of reviews on it here http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=31469/silver_powder/Mario_Badescu/Masks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I would recommend getting a good deep cleanse facial that does extractions. Then cleanse tone and moistuise twice a day and exfoliate twice a week at home with professional products. Some people are just more prone to blackheads though

I've tried debenhams and couldn't find any origins products. anyone have any ideas?

second choice, maybe I'll try clean and clear?

Alter_me wrote: »
    I've tried debenhams and couldn't find any origins products. anyone have any ideas?

second choice, maybe I'll try clean and clear?

Would you consider making your own mask?

tan11ie wrote: »
    Would you consider making your own mask?

yeah if you think it'd work well? do you do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The Clean & Clear blackhead removing scrub is good, but does take a while to work (you won't get instant results) and it's not as harsh as the wipes/pads. Available in most supermarkets and Boots stores. There is also a fluid cleanser that is quite good (but could be a bit harsh on sensitive skin).

Scrub --> cc-blackhead-clearing-scrub-large.jpg
    Fluid --> hwthumb.asp?f=4_6_9_6_795467.JPG&w=200&h=200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I feel the La Roche Posay Effeclar range has really helped me - I use the face wash, toner and treatment cream (Effeclar K at night, Duo in thr morning). Also the REN purifying scrub really gets in there and cleans out pores.

yeah if you think it'd work well? do you do that?

Ill post one up for you tomorrow if you want to make your own, it will cost less in the long run...

RE - clean n clear : very harsh on the skin i don't recommended them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Structurally Sound Mentally Unstable

I have had the same problem with visible pores for as long as I remember. And now that I look back, it was mainly caused by laziness in my beuty regime.

I always used make up removing wipes. That is all. End of Beuty Regime! Then an aunt, who is a beautician, said I was mad using them on my young skin. That makeup wipes cause redness aroung sensitive areas such as my nose. My sister started a cleanse/tone/moisturise routine and said her pores are becoming less and less visable.

I never believed in the cleanse/tone/moisturise thingy because I thought it was the beauty industry/Clinique etc just pushing products on us.;)

About 6 weeks ago I started using a cleansing creme followed by a liquid toner, both applied using cotton beauty pads. I must say the difference is huge! I think it must be the combination of the lotions and the exfoliating nature of the cotton. Either way I can honestly say I havent used makeup wipes since.

You dont have to spend a lot of money. Mine are Boots own brand-on offer at both for a fiver. Too good to not try anyway. Next time I might splash out and get something more expensive, now that I know I am sticking to this routing :pac:

Yeah I only recently found out that make up removal wipes are bad for you! They apparently dry out your skin a lot.. Glad I rarely bought them now.

Sorry to go O/T but I have the Simple Cleanser & Toner in 1, my friend said that someone told her (always the way :D) that having a cleanser and toner in 1 is bad for your skin. Is this true..?

Yeah I only recently found out that make up removal wipes are bad for you! They apparently dry out your skin a lot.. Glad I rarely bought them now.

Sorry to go O/T but I have the Simple Cleanser & Toner in 1, my friend said that someone told her (always the way :D) that having a cleanser and toner in 1 is bad for your skin. Is this true..?

Cleanser is for cleaning the dirt from the skin while the toner is for removing any cleanser that's left over on the face. It also temporarily closes the pores and prepares skin for moisturizer.

Yes it's better to buy them as separates.

• Advertisement

Cool. Grand job, I'm making my own toner from Chinese Black Rice anyway next week so I'll just buy a cleanser. Perhaps I can splurge on a nice one now.

Right so I tried the Clean and Clear Blackhead scrub. does absolutely nothing.

next to try...?

Right so I tried the Clean and Clear Blackhead scrub. does absolutely nothing.

next to try...?

How long have you been using it...?

You do know that blackhead face washes are not going to literally rid you of every single one. Most will stay, I gave up on the washes because in my opinion they're results are all full of you know what.

What works for me - and it's not perfect, but it's much improved - La Roche Posay Effeclar range. Face wash, toner, treatment (K or Duo) and moisturiser. If there's a Doc Morris chemist near you, they have 20% off the whole range. Otherwise will cost you region €70 for the 4 items. Not cheap, but... well it works for me. Also try a muslin cloth after rinsing your face for exfoliation and encouraging the pores to cough up their gunk.

REN Invisble Pores detox mask and Purifying scrub are also very good for more treatment rather than everyday work.

That said I had more white blockages than blackheads so I needed more exfoliation to open the pores. The number of teeny bumps in the centre of my chin has gone down about 80%+ and I think the skin on my nose looks much cleaner and more refined, at least 60% better than before (stil work to do there!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

So face wipes are really bad? I ALWAYS use face wipes. I wouldn't mind buying a cleanser/toner if I knew which ones were good - I don't fancy splurging on them either though in case I don't keep up the routine. I have fairly good skin [I never get spots] it's soft but it does have a red/rosy tint on my cheeks. I'm not fussy about which products I use on my face and have never broken out in spots or anything as a result, so suggestions please :)

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    So face wipes are really bad? I ALWAYS use face wipes. I wouldn't mind buying a cleanser/toner if I knew which ones were good - I don't fancy splurging on them either though in case I don't keep up the routine. I have fairly good skin [I never get spots] it's soft but it does have a red/rosy tint on my cheeks. I'm not fussy about which products I use on my face and have never broken out in spots or anything as a result, so suggestions please :)

I think if you are happy with what you are using and aren't seeing ill-effects there's no reason to change for the sake it of it. The cleanser/toner from the same range as the wipes you use would possibly suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

If your looking for a quick fix for the blackheads- try microdermabrasion. I got it done yesterday with city deals and it got rid of all my blackheads and my pores look smaller now as well. I got the diamond dermabrasion done, its not abrasive on the skin at all and I wasn't even red after. Highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BellaRose0050

I use to have really bad blackheads and pores and then i started to use gamma hydroxyl skin resufacing cream by skin doctors and within 6 weeks my skin was perfect.

Advertisement