Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner party advice

Options
  • 24-07-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

So next weekend I'm hosting my first dinner party. I love cooking and challenging myself with new dishes so I've decided to try a completely new menu and for the main I'd like to cook beef wellington. I've never had this dish before let alone cooked it but after watching way too much come dine with me would now like to give it a go. Has anyone any advice on how to cook beef wellington and what sides work well with it?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I would really, really advise you to do a practice run before your party. Beef Wellington is one of those dishes that looks simple, but is quite tricky to get right. You need to be sure all your guests will eat medium-rare beef too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Honey-ec wrote: »
    You need to be sure all your guests will eat medium-rare beef too.

Ah yes, it's a classic dish for the 'well done nazis' ...."I can't eat it rare" but those of you that like it rare can lump it.
    How come "I can't eat it well done" never meets with the same results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lilmissmoo

Haha thanks, ok taking your comments into account I think I'll stick with fillet steak! that way I can please both the people that love it rare and the people that like it burnt to a crisp! :-)

So my menu for tomorrow is;

Pea Soup
    Chicken liver pate
    Fillet steak
    Double chocolate orange cheesecake

Fingers crossed all goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sounds lovely, I think you're wise to take Honey's advise on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you make the wellingtons individually, you can cook each to their preference. Just remember, the more you have in the oven at the same time - the longer it will take. This recipe worked out really well, you can add the mushroom duxelle if you like - the pate is also lovely on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

lilmissmoo wrote: »
    Haha thanks, ok taking your comments into account I think I'll stick with fillet steak! that way I can please both the people that love it rare and the people that like it burnt to a crisp! :-)

So my menu for tomorrow is;

Pea Soup
    Chicken liver pate
    Fillet steak
    Double chocolate orange cheesecake

Fingers crossed all goes well!

I was just wondering how your party went and if you'd be prepared to share your cheesecake recipe? Please....................?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lilmissmoo

Hi Janmaree,

The dinner party went great thanks, better than I could have expected.

I was really pleased with my menu as I was able to make the soup/pate and dessert the night before so I didn't get overly stressed on the day.

The reaction that I got from my guests was great too and the cheesecake really turned out delicious!

Here's the recipe;

25g butter
    40g orange-flavoured milk chocolate
    125g digestive biscuits, crushed
    150g good white chocolate
    250g tub mascarpone
    Finely grated zest of 1 orange
    142ml carton double cream
    1. Line a 6-hole muffin tin with muffin cases. Put the butter and plain chocolate into a pan and heat gently until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the crushed biscuits. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and press down lightly with the back of a teaspoon to make even layers. Chill.

2. Break the white chocolate into a heatproof bowl and rest over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir until melted. Cool slightly.

3. In a separate bowl, beat the mascarpone with the orange zest, until softened. In another bowl, whip the cream into soft peaks. Mix the white chocolate into the mascarpone, then gently fold in the cream. Using a piping bag, pipe the mixture evenly into the muffin cases and chill for 11/2-2 hours or until just firm.

4. To serve, carefully peel the muffin cases away from the cheesecakes and transfer to a plate. Decorate with a segment of Terry's chocolate orange.

Hope they turn out nice for you!

Thanks so much for the recipe, you're very good to take the trouble. Very glad to hear that your party went well, it's stressful enough taking it on in the first place, don't you think?!!!

I'll look forward to making this for our next special occasion. Fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I would really, really advise you to do a practice run before your party. Beef Wellington is one of those dishes that looks simple, but is quite tricky to get right. You need to be sure all your guests will eat medium-rare beef too.
    From watching cookery programs I can never understand why so many people decide to cook a dish that they've never made before on the night of the party. Why give yourself the added pressure? Best to stick with a tried and tested recipe.

You do have a point there BaZmo* so why wait. I'll make it this week just for us. More later!

• Advertisement
Advertisement