Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another New bike thread

• 24-07-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

Been going through all the posts of those who have sought advice on purchasing a new road bike.

Many many many bikes have been recommended and I've read all the reviews and taken on board all the opinions of the experienced people on this forum.

My head is fried :eek: :D

I'm buying on the cycle to work scheme and will be doing 3 or 4 30-40 mile cycles a week, I intend spending as close to the limit as I can on the bike.

I have done the internet and now I am going to hit the shops to place my ample posterior on some of those pointy saddles :D

If any of you out there come across a good machine at a good price I would appreciate a quick bargain alert.

Something similar to what eddiem74 posted about the Corratec Dolomiti 105, it was reduced by €400 to €999.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

When hitting the shops and comparing prices i would advise you to get the offers in writing from them. Just a note on a bit of paper will do. I thought I had been offered a deal but when returned to buy the bike I was told i had misunderstood the offer. Which I may have done. However, I was totally pissed off because I wanted to walk away with a new bike. If I had it in writing it would have avoided this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

chakattack wrote: »

Great bike for the price, but it's tricky now that the £999.00 Planet X is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I am also looking for my first bike and buying on the BTW scheme, I really like the canyon but it looks like you can buy online only, how does that work with the Btw scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Great looking bike but are they online sales only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

rustynutz wrote: »
    I am also looking for my first bike and buying on the BTW scheme, I really like the canyon but it looks like you can buy online only, how does that work with the Btw scheme?

You can't get it with the btw scheme if it's not an Irish shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

32yg wrote: »

Wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Don't think that's true. Friend of mine got a bike on the scheme from CRC which is based in Northern Ireland and there was no issue. Also pretty sure some people on this forum have used the scheme to buy from the likes of canyon and planet-X.

However, some work-places use middle-men to adminster the scheme and they might only deal with a pre-selected range of bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hazer1

rustynutz wrote: »

Not true providing your employer is prepared to buy from abroad, You will need to get an invoice from the shop excluding vat, your employer will then buy the bike ex vat and pay vat in Ireland. This is a state scheme and as such must adhere to the European free Market

Lumen wrote: »
    Wrong.

Any chance you would press a few more keys Lumen :D, if it is available on the BTW scheme anybody know where I might get a look at one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

mcgarrett wrote: »
    Any chance you would press a few more keys Lumen :D, if it is available on the BTW scheme anybody know where I might get a look at one.

Canyon website, only available online, not in shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mcgarrett wrote: »

wot hazer1 said, and...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306050

Cycling wiki is down (again), but cached version here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6enRklQaaDUJ:wiki.boards.ie/wiki/BikeToWork+http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/BikeToWork&hl=en&client=firefox-a&gl=ie&strip=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Tried to buy one of these today and they are all sold out, rang them and they won't have anymore until 2012 model is released, gutted :(

I'm back after viewing many machines and like them all :confused:.

These two caught my eye and I was just looking for opinions as they don't get mentioned as regularly as the felts and canyons and treks etc..

They are both the same price. Any opinions please.

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/pd/ie/en-gb/6/219/fitness-track/tempo%20cross%20men

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/pd/ie/en-gb/6/217/fitness-track/tempo%20men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hazer1

The first one is a bike that doesn't know what it's for a road bike with MTB parts?

Second one would be the better option

Go around the shops ride a few bikes (for more than a minute or two) and see what you like, just make sure it suits your intended use take advise from the guys in the shop

A few people have mentioned that the launch of new models for 2012 usually causes a drop in the price of whats currently available as 2011.

Will this happen soon or closer to the end of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

There'll be different release dates for different manufacturers but I'd expect pretty much all of them to be released within about the next 10 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Are any manufacturers going to offload stock this year? I thought carbon supply was shorter than demand. I know of a few people who had to wait months for an order to be fulfilled. That was orbea, giant and specialized.

Advertisement