Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie - Looking for advice.

• 24-07-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Just purchased my new Specialized Allez Comp (BTW) haven't been on a bike for over 16 years, fitness level non existent (plan is to change that)

Have been out 3 times in the last week (23 km/h spins in 1hr 04mins avg speed 20 km/h) found the last evening very tough with little or no power in the legs.

What is a realistic training schedule to take part in a charity cycle 80km/h in early Sept?

Have found my left thumb getting numb, not sure why?

Rear end very sore have padded bib shorts, is it worth getting gel shorts?

Appreciate any advice. Have to admit love being back cycling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

The general rule of thumb is to increase your distance by 10% every week. I'm sure others on here can give you more of an in-depth guide, but that's what I'm currently sticking to.

As for a soar arse – it gets easier the more time you spend in the saddle. Time in the saddle is as important as distance covered. Don't worry about average speed just yet. As you improve that will gradually go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Chipbutty wrote: »
    Have found my left thumb getting numb, not sure why?
    Are you wearing gel gloves? Do the bars have nice cork or gel tape?
    Rear end very sore have padded bib shorts, is it worth getting gel shorts?
    Typical. It is going to take a while. I always use padded shorts, gel usually. Get some chammy creme like Assos or Chammy Butt'r EuroStyle and apply. Once you've done this, you'll be able to commiserate with children that have wet nappies!
    What is a realistic training schedule to take part in a charity cycle 80km/h in early Sept?

50 miles? Not hard, just depends how you do it, take your time, eat, drink, and grab a wheel.

You have to get on the bike every day for 10 days. That will break the old habits and form new good ones.

What kind of gears are you running in the rear and what kind of terrain are you going to encounter? If you are expecting hills, it may pay to throw a 28 tooth in the rear.

For now, when training, concentrate on good form and a smooth spin. After a week or two, alternate between spinning and pushing as big a gear as possible.

When I am trying to get back in to shape I head to the hills and try to stand the entire time for the climb. If the day is particularly cold, rainy, or nasty, just do hills.

Finally, when you get off of the bike, like within minutes, get some protein in your system. I eat some eggs, drink Endurox, and down a spoonful of honey whey powder.

Good luck.

Advertisement