Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Did Met Eireann Get It Wrong Today

• 24-07-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭

Today they said it would be damp a drizzle in the West Coast but here in Galway its blue sky and 20 degrees, if you look at their website and look at Galway now at 4pm it says Fog !!!!!!!!!!
    phoned my cousin in Dublin at 1pm and he said it was raining

Here is their forecast for the West today

Cloudy misty conditions will continue to persist from the West coast to the Midlands this afternoon. Ulster will remain sunny and the cloudy skies will tend to break up across the northeast of the country. Highest temperatures of 17 to 21 degrees with light winds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

As ever when they didnt pinpoint the weather over your house it means they're totally wrong :rolleyes:

Current sat24 image, cloudy/misty over the south and west, sunny over Ulster and the north east

sat24k.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »
    phoned my cousin in Dublin at 1pm and he said it was raining

What part of Dublin was that? Sunny here (as it was at 1pm) and 22.5c atm. Really lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What part of Dublin was that? Sunny here (as it was at 1pm) and 22.5c atm. Really lovely.

Turns out he was messing :rolleyes:, I know that it can change all the time but it was really nice where I am, hope it turns out great where you are, nice to get a bit of summer when ever we can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There was drizzle/mist in Galway until about 1.
    Was down the beach in Renmore(ballyloughane) around 3 and there was eerie fog blowing in across the beach every few minutes.
    It would be humid one minute then a sudden chill came with the fog, then humid again.

Thick sea fog out past Clifden set in last night, i left around 3 and it hadnt cleared the coast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Cloudy misty conditions will continue to persist from the West coast to the Midlands this afternoon.

I had planned on shearing sheep today. Looked out this morning and could see where water was pooling on the footpaths, not rain but heavy misty foggy stuff. (Can't shear in the wet). That cleared off in the afternoon, though it could be seen loitering with intent just offshore. It was very warm and very muggy here today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

How many people said "When do they get it right" when they read the Thread Title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Is the Met Éireann bashing nonsense going to go on for much longer lads? It's getting pretty pathetic now. There are some people (and two in particular) on here who's main contribution is posting only negative comments, even when unjustified. First the Cusack apology, now this. I know there's not much happening with the weather at the moment, and things to post are scarce, but if you have nothing to post, then post nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Su Campu wrote: »
    Is the Met Éireann bashing nonsense going to go on for much longer lads? It's getting pretty pathetic now. There are some people (and two in particular) on here who's main contribution is posting only negative comments, even when unjustified. First the Cusack apology, now this. I know there's not much happening with the weather at the moment, and things to post are scarce, but if you have nothing to post, then post nothing.

Funny thing is, most of the complaints are not caused by ME's accuarcy just morons' inability to listen to a forecast properly. E.g people hearing ''showers in the north-west'' and take it as every will get showers, then give out stink about ME because there was no showers in Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Funny thing is, most of the complaints are not caused by ME's accuarcy just morons' inability to listen to a forecast properly. E.g people hearing ''showers in the north-west'' and take it as every will get showers, then give out stink about ME because there was no showers in Wexford.

South east radio thought they meant north west Wexford :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

Su Campu wrote: »

at least the topic is weather related !! ;)

And this week there is quite a difference of opinion between the ME and the MTC forecasts

And as long as the discussions are not ending up in flame wars and insults i can't see nothing wrong with it (and i am surprised/pissed of as well by the sometimes inaccurate forecasting by ME )

And to called it "nonsense bashing" is not on i think .. you of all people shouldknow they are wrong a lot of times

weisses wrote: »
    at least the topic is weather related !! ;)

And this week there is quite a difference of opinion between the ME and the MTC forecasts

And as long as the discussions are not ending up in flame wars and insults i can't see nothing wrong with it (and i am surprised/pissed of as well by the sometimes inaccurate forecasting by ME )

And to called it "nonsense bashing" is not on i think .. you of all people shouldknow they are wrong a lot of times

This morning now Met Eireann are more or less going with what MT forecast last week, they say rain tomorrow and now the weekend will be fine and warm despite saying earlier the weather would break down on Saturday with cooler conditions, I dont like to knock them but there is no doubt they are not getting it right at present.

This morning now Met Eireann are more or less going with what MT forecast last week, they say rain tomorrow and now the weekend will be fine and warm despite saying earlier the weather would break down on Saturday with cooler conditions, I dont like to knock them but there is no doubt they are not getting it right at present.

Whenever they forecasting fog drifting in or drizzle they are very accurate (for where i live anyway) the bastards :D;)

If they updated their forecast more then once every day maybe they get a bit more reliable example they use the data from 9 am in their 1 pm forecast and there are more examples of their inaccurate forecasting etc
    so instead of calling people "morons" who are not agreeing with your ME fanboyism you think before talking nonsense

and Su campu giving that a thumbs up says it all

If they updated their forecast more then once every day maybe they get a bit more reliable example they use the data from 9 am in their 1 pm forecast and there are more examples of their inaccurate forecasting etc
    so instead of calling people "morons" who are not agreeing with your ME fanboyism you think before talking nonsense

Look this is where I am coming from I know when they they say rain in the West it does not always happen in your area, Once some friends wanted to go to the Aran Islands, the forecast was for rain for the day in the West so they decided not to go, you guessed it the day was smashing with no rain at all and that was in the City and the Aran Islands. As weisses says they should update more often as it changes by the hour.

I dont like it when some guys on the board here knock people down for asking/posting questions. some people take things to seriously and feel they are more up to speed with the weather than everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Once some friends wanted to go to the Aran Islands, the forecast was for rain for the day in the West so they decided not to go, you guessed it the day was smashing with no rain at all.

I've often heard that Aran has it's own micro climate (if that's the right term).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

johngalway wrote: »
    I've often heard that Aran has it's own micro climate (if that's the right term).

Yes it's true I've often been out there with cracking weather when it has been dark and rainy back on the mainland, even as close as Galway city. Was there week of June bank holiday this year, which was shocking weather on the mainland (strong winds and plenty of rain), but we had plenty of sun and came back with a bad case of Irish tan aka sunburn. The ME forecast was totally inconsistent every day with the actual weather out there (apart from the wind predictions).

Look this is where I am coming from I know when they they say rain in the West it does not always happen in your area, Once some friends wanted to go to the Aran Islands, the forecast was for rain for the day in the West so they decided not to go, you guessed it the day was smashing with no rain at all. As weisses says they should update more often as it changes by the hour.

I dont like it when some guys on the board here knock people down for asking/posting questions. some people take things to seriously and feel they are more up tp speed with the weather than everyone else.

couldn't agree more its tough predicting in this climate where in 1 town the sun is splitting rocks and 3 miles down the road its pissing rain for the whole day

And then you get a forecast like this

Today

Cloudy at first today with patches of mist and drizzle in many places. These will generally clear through the morning, and most places will be dry from the afternoon onwards. Warm and close again today with highest temperatures of 18 to 20 degrees and light winds.

Tonight

Misty conditions will re-occur tonight, but otherwise the night will be dry with lowest temperatures of 12 or 13 degrees.

Tomorrow

Outbreaks of light rain will gradually spread eastwards during tomorrow.

and i like the picture that says cloudy with rain over here when its almost clear skies from here to killarney ... they couldn't even agree among themselves in the forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

jArgHA wrote: »
    Yes it's true I've often been out there with cracking weather when it has been dark and rainy back on the mainland, even as close as Galway city. Was there week of June bank holiday this year, which was shocking weather on the mainland (strong winds and plenty of rain), but we had plenty of sun and came back with a bad case of Irish tan aka sunburn. The ME forecast was totally inconsistent every day with the actual weather out there (apart from the wind predictions).

The islands seem to get far more sunshine than the mainland alright. Especially when there is lots of convection going on.
    On some days the entire mainland of ireland could be cloudy but from looking at the satellite you can see that there is no clouds at all out over the sea.
    I got my worst ever sunburn out there onetime. The weather was predicted to be cloudy so i didnt bring suncream, it was a painful mistake! Everyone back on the mainland wondered if i had gone abroad for the sun because it was so cloudy and showery there.

Fanboyism? Seriously its a government organisation were talking about not a soccer club:rolleyes: Im only saying it as I see it from past experience. If you want to take as im calling you a moron then thats your problem, i was just referring to the countless morons make that mistake before then blame the forecast.

Su Campu giving it thumbs up only says he agrees with the point, or could you enlighten us to what ''it all'' means.

• Advertisement

Fanboyism? Seriously its a government organisation were talking about not a soccer club:rolleyes: Im only saying it as I see it from past experience. If you want to take as im calling you a moron then thats your problem, i was just referring to the countless morons make that mistake before then blame the forecast.

Su Campu giving it thumbs up only says he agrees with the point, or could you enlighten us to what ''it all'' means.

I think your post doesn't add anything to the discussion (maybe a few people get a bit offended about the language used)

I could say he's giving the thumbs up for you calling some people morons

Meanwhile ME is saying overcast with possible rain here and its clear blue skies for miles around .. that's the discussion here

Maybe its an idea to get one ME FECKS UP AGAIN (rant) topic sticky it so all people can post in there and maybe ME will use it for some constructive feedback ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Just my personal opinion but ME are not the weather and this is a weather forum.

If I had an issue with a company / body I would email them directly.

Again not trying to get at anyone, thats just my opinion.

I think your post doesn't add anything to the discussion (maybe a few people get a bit offended about the language used)

I could say he's giving the thumbs up for you calling some people morons

Meanwhile ME is saying overcast with possible rain here and its clear blue skies for miles around .. that's the discussion here

LOL, read my previous post, you have just proven my point 100%. People complaining because the think the entire ME forecast is for their local village only:rolleyes:. For example for the vast majority of the country it is overcast with bits of rain.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

For tomorrow ME don't write anything about temperature but their graphic shows temps at 21 at the highest. MT goes 23-27. That's some difference for a next day forecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lads, the forecast for this week was/is one of the messiest conditions to predict after snow. In this humid flow, a drizzle shower can dump down on the flow side of the hills, whilst it's sunny on the lee.

Think of a moist SW flow, Dingle is drizzle all day, even light rain, whereas Tralee is under part cloud and sunshine. These two towns are barely 30 miles apart yet it can be two totally different days.

That is the way of it. ME don't have the time on TV to explain this as RTE put savage time constraints on broadcasts to make way for advertising. There is no web team in ME headquarters and have to outsource all work, again on a tight budget.

The way forward for more detailed forecasts is either, increase taxes to pay for Met Eireann to have a more extensive service, or to visit ameteur online websites, IWN, IWO and Boards374.

LOL, read my previous post, you have just proven my point 100%. People complaining because the think the entire ME forecast is for their local village only:rolleyes:. For example for the vast majority of the country it is overcast with bits of rain.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

In an earlier post i said clear skies from where i live all the way to killarney .... So the only thing you are proofing is that you only read what suits you:rolleyes:

Ohh and according to your latest post the ME forecast is wrong .... And that is what i was saying all along ....... Im happy we finaly agree ;)

Danno wrote: »
    Lads, the forecast for this week was/is one of the messiest conditions to predict after snow. In this humid flow, a drizzle shower can dump down on the flow side of the hills, whilst it's sunny on the lee.

Think of a moist SW flow, Dingle is drizzle all day, even light rain, whereas Tralee is under part cloud and sunshine. These two towns are barely 30 miles apart yet it can be two totally different days.

That is the way of it. ME don't have the time on TV to explain this as RTE put savage time constraints on broadcasts to make way for advertising. There is no web team in ME headquarters and have to outsource all work, again on a tight budget.

The way forward for more detailed forecasts is either, increase taxes to pay for Met Eireann to have a more extensive service, or to visit ameteur online websites, IWN, IWO and Boards374.

I agree with almost everything you say ..... But if you make a forecast as an national weather service you do it 100% or not at all ..... Thats why you get discussions on wtf is goin on in there .... I dont know with how much budget and people they are working ..... There is much difference in weather in ireland thats why its so important that you can rely on accurate mountain and coastal forecasts from ME ..... Right now they make a mess out of things imo

I agree with almost everything you say ..... But if you make a forecast as an national weather service you do it 100% or not at all ..... Thats why you get discussions on wtf is goin on in there .... I dont know with how much budget and people they are working ..... There is much difference in weather in ireland thats why its so important that you can rely on accurate mountain and coastal forecasts from ME ..... Right now they make a mess out of things imo

Maybe you could point out a national weather service that does it ''100%''? Believe me, there isn't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just to re-enforce my earlier point... staff cutbacks means less time for forecasters to work on giving forecasts to the media. They have to concentrate on producing forecasts for aviation as this is the priority, not from some lad taking a hike up a mountain.

They don't have the budget for an inhouse web service, the bit they have is outsourced and they simply have a login to put up daily forecasts. Nearly all the charts on ME.ie are automated.

RTE are very strict on the time ME get to broadcast forecasts. RTE are only interested in advertising and probably would drop half of the forecasts if the Govt allowed it.

Under the above constraints it is impossible to give a 100% forecast and to make sure that Farmer Joe out on the Barra peninsula can go and shear his sheep today, outdoors.

IMHO, Met Eireann give a good service for fairly limited resources, in what must be one of the most difficult regions to forecast in on the face of the planet.

• Advertisement

Maybe you could point out a national weather service that does it ''100%''? Believe me, there isn't one.

no met office is 100 % i meant give 100% effort

If you cant run a website just close it down

But just keep ignoring the valid points made here ... So far you only proved my point

Advertisement