Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Did Met Eireann Get It Wrong Today

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

weisses wrote: »
    no met office is 100 % i meant give 100% effort

If you cant run a website just close it down

But just keep ignoring the valid points made here ... So far you only proved my point

:rolleyes: Good man, i havnt proven any of your points, because you actually havnt made any! But if it makes you feel better you can keep spouting that ****e if youd like, doesnt bother me!

Anyway, im out of this thread as once the axe grinding process has started theres is no stopping it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Good man, i havnt proven any of your points, because you actually havnt made any! But if it makes you feel better you can keep spouting that ****e if youd like, doesnt bother me

Again try reading properly instead of acting like a little troll ..... The only thing u probably managed is to get this thread locked .... Kudos for that .... Bye now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Danno wrote: »
    Under the above constraints it is impossible to give a 100% forecast and to make sure that Farmer Joe out on the Barra peninsula can go and shear his sheep today, outdoors.

Call me paranoid :D But was that meant for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

weisses wrote: »
    If they updated their forecast more then once every day maybe they get a bit more reliable example they use the data from 9 am in their 1 pm forecast and there are more examples of their inaccurate forecasting etc

Met Eireann update their forecast at least twice a day on their website. How many times though do you need a forecast updated in anyone day? there are only so many ways you can tell people it is going to drizzle!

However, if they were to update their forecast more often I am pretty sure the likes of yourself & Storm 10 would start complaining that the forecasts are constantly changing and contradicting earlier ones (see S10's earlier post)

As to fanboyism, maybe some people just have the cop on to know that doing up a forecast for an entire country in a way the general public will understand is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

This thread is becoming another mud-slinging match. Guys, keep the personal insults down or you will get a 7 day ban - period.

To answer weisses' question (not that I have to) as to why I gave beasterly a thumbs up - from personal experience (and not on boards) I hear people saying things like "where's that bloody sun we were to get today", etc. when in fact if they had properly listened to the forecast they would have heard that the sun was for later on, or somewhere else, etc. People only seem to hear certain key words in a forecast, like rain, sun, warm, cold - while filtering out the other important words, like "....in the west", "...in the afternoon", etc. Their ignorance is then put down as ME's incompetence, or as weisses puts it - laziness. That's why I agree with Beasterly's point.

ME use four different models in their forecasts, plus of course their own experience and knowledge. When you have, as was stated earlier, such a mild southwesterly airmass, and the models are chopping and changing in their finer details, then it's nigh on impossible to get a 100% accurate forecast for the whole country. The current setup is walking a very fine line between cloudiness and clear, with fractions dictating where gets the cloud. HiRLAM may help somewhat, but the ECMWF, from which the HiRLAM gets its initial conditions, has been having some problems with upper features the last few days, leading to some errors down the line. Garbage in, garbage out. So IMO there's nothing wrong with ME refining their forecasts as new data come in - something some people seem to have a problem with.

Anyway, if everyone wants to have a discussion on ME's forecasts, then no problem. Just do it in a civil and courteous fashion, otherwise bans will be issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

I am planning on going to Donabate beach tomorrow based on MT's forecast of 23-27oC. ME are only saying 20-22, probably wouldn't go based on that. Although MT is very accurate in his forecast so I think I'll go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Well as the original OP says it they really got it wrong today, I watched the 6pm and the 9pm news last night and at the end of both the weather forecast for Galway Races today was sunshine, he even gave a warning about the high sunshine index at Galway Races for today and warned people to be aware. So what went wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont anyone say they did not get it wrong today, as the commentator from the races on RTE has just said "Its chilly here today" :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Well as the original OP says it they really got it wrong today, I watched the 6pm and the 9pm news last night and at the end of both the weather forecast for Galway Races today was sunshine, he even gave a warning about the high sunshine index at Galway Races for today and warned people to be aware. So what went wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont anyone say they did not get it wrong today, as the commentator from the races on RTE has just said "Its chilly here today" :mad:

Saw both forecasts with Gerry Murphy yesterday and he did say the sunburn index would be high and that it would be a nice day after a cloudy start in the East. Here in Waterford its been mostly cloudy today with a cool NNW breeze. Very disappointing after what was forecasted. I think all forecasters are having trouble this week getting it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

Saw both forecasts with Gerry Murphy yesterday and he did say the sunburn index would be high and that it would be a nice day after a cloudy start in the East. Here in Waterford its been mostly cloudy today with a cool NNW breeze. Very disappointing after what was forecasted. I think all forecasters are having trouble this week getting it right.

In fairness I think Met E's forecast all this week has been fairly spot on and far more accurate than MT's (no disrespect MT). I mean MT was forecasting temps of up to 24 degrees today which didn't happen at all, yet you don't hear people lambasting him. I think Met E should get credit when it's due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Chicken1 wrote: »

He did say that it would be cooler and fresher today. I think the sunburn warning was for the whole country rather than just the Galway races. Admittedly there was a lot of cloud around the country today but it only produced the odd spit of drizzle here and there. Nothing to get excited about in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

im glad they got it wrong for today here got the lawn cut :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Met a family in Galway City this morning who were planning a trip to the Cliffs of Moher but after hearing the weather on radio this morning which forecast rain spreading from the West they cancelled, we have had about ten minutes of drizzle here at around 2pm its clearing now and this morning was lovely and sunny. Boy but they got this wrong as well.

In fairness MT was not correct either
    Wednesday, 3 August, 2011

TODAY ... Cloudy, warm and humid, with just a few brief sunny intervals in north Leinster and parts of Ulster this morning. Rain slowly moving into west Munster this morning and reaching Connacht, east Munster by afternoon, rest of Ireland by this evening. Rainfall amounts 5-10 mms in south and west. Highs near 17 in the rain but 19-21 C further east and in most of Ulster. Winds gradually increasing to SSE 15-25 mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

They made a big boo boo today. Whats goin on ME!

In fairness its just one of those days. We don't need someone to blame every time they, or any other forecaster, are a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Christ. Weather is unpredictable folks....Jesus, 5 year olds would know that by now.

Met Eireann go by what the computers show, they make the forecast based on that, the models then have a 100 mile swing, which is a total pile of nothing with some of the models, and their forecast won't be totally accurate. If anyone watches models during Winter, I'm sure they'd agree that from the Oz through to the 18z, there's 100 mile corrections from all over the shop, similar outcomes, but for troughs and fronts as such, they can appear, dissapear, re-appear further south and so on. Within a few hours, things go wrong, again using last winter, Snow being forecast, not getting it, snow not being forecast in huge amounts, then you end up with several inches after falling. Things change, things go wrong, forecasts aren't always going to be 100% accurate, so deal with it. It's the weather, it's never been predictable, most likely never will be.

If your so fed up of Met Eireann, stop watching/listening, sure there's many other places to go, but if you think think they'll be 100% right, your wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Well said john.Icy...All this met eireann bashing over the last few weeks is getting very tiring. They are doing there best on a limited budget, and as already stated, with the readings the models give..Tbh since early jan this year all the models have seemed to be pretty unrealible past 48 hrs or so which makes it very hard for every forecaster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Again the HiRLAM has had a stinker. Last night it was forecasting pretty substantial rain for a lot of the country today, but in this morning's run that rain forecast had all but vanished. That's not ME's fault. They would use that model for refining their forecasts, so if it does a 180 like that literally overnight then what chance have they?

Why doesn't Met Eireann televise a proper forecast in the mornings for the next 12 hours? Surely they could manage that.

The forecast after 9pm news give rain yesterday/today, but it was dry in then NW all this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

salonfire wrote: »
    Why doesn't Met Eireann televise a proper forecast in the mornings for the next 12 hours? Surely they could manage that.

The forecast after 9pm news give rain yesterday/today, but it was dry in then NW all this week

Seriously? Still? The NW is a big place. I can look out my window any day and see a shower that never came near me.
    In fairness she was extra cautious and stressed that showers may or may not get everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

salonfire wrote: »

The forecast was for well scattered showers for today, which if you looked at the rainfall radar throughout the day, was correct. Just because your area didn't get a shower doesn't mean there was none anywhere else. There are televised forecasts giving details for the next 24 hours after news bulletins during the mornings. Usually Nuala Carey or someone like that presents them. The main forecasts are after the evening news, this is when most people are likely to be viewing the television. There are radio forecasts at about 7:55am, 12:50pm, 6:00pm and just before midnight so I don't think there are a lack of weather forecasts by Met Eireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

And to be fair to Met Eireann the website is useually updated 4 times a day,early morning around 0530,1130,1630 and of late 2130.With regard showers,its hit and miss,it could be wet where you are and 5 miles(less)down the road it could be dry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement