Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religios paranormal experiences

Options
  • 24-07-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here ever have one of those?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Musicman2006

branie wrote: »
    Anyone here ever have one of those?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

Not exactly just intuitions of sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cantabo tibi

Yes, I have. I had a sudden "conversion experience" and felt the divine love. All earthly happiness is just a faint impression of this. it was like I had been in a bubble all my life and it suddenly burst, or like when there's an oil slick on water and you put some drops of washing up liquid on it, it suddenly clears. I was astonished. I had been atheist for many years but wondered about it all, so amazing it was to have the issue finally settled.

For several weeks afterwards I experienced several ecstasies when I was alone. They were hilarious and intense, so much was pouring into me I began to think I couldn't take any more. I didn't have any visions or hear any voices or see any light or anything, it was all internal stuff but to me it was paranormal.

A good read on this subject is The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James. These experiences are more common than you might think. A good idea is to put away any ideas you may have already picked up about God and just try to imagine God as you think it should be. The Cloud of Unknowing describes it well:
    And therefore, though it may be good at times to think specifically of the kindness and excellence of God, and though this may be a light and a part of contemplation, all the same, in the work of contemplation itself, it must be cast down and covered with a cloud of forgetting. And you must step above it stoutly but deftly, with a devout and delightful stirring of love, and struggle to pierce that darkness above you; and beat on that thick cloud of unknowing with a sharp dart of longing love, and do not give up, whatever happens.

Advertisement