Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Particle words

• 24-07-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hey all, Im having a hard time trying to fully understand what particle words are. I have searched around a good bit but all the explanations I found are a bit over complicated. Could somebody try help me out, or explain it simply and with examples?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They're like verbal ketchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

ehhhh :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You can't eat ketchup - you just use it to make chips better. Particle words are not substantial enough to have any real meaning on their own - you add them to make the other words fit better together.

Did you come across this when searching? It's explained in fairly simple terms but if there's any specific aspect of it that's not clear fire ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ah that makes it much easier to understand. Thanks.

Advertisement