Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull**** Careers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

And it only took 15 posts. Well done.

So we don't want translators, we don't want teachers, we don't want computer scientists (Maynooth do a BA in Comp. Science before anyone says it's not arts), we don't want journalists...

There's always one...
    You don't necessarily need an BA to have any of those careers.However,I'm sure that a BA in something like Irish Folklore would in some way contribute something ground breaking to today's world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

El_Drago wrote: »
    This ought to ruffle a few feathers but what the hell.Anything that requires an arts degree:p

I like my bull**** arts degree which had led me to be a permanent teacher on 3 months paid holidays right now, sleeping to 11ish everyday and playing golf 4/5 times a week! oh and I loved my travels around america for 8weeks last summer and thailand for 6weeks the year before! Ya should try it, its deadly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

already mentioned but Feng Shui Consultant.

at least a proper burglar has the decency to do it while you're out.
    these guys get to rob you of your furniture and other possessions, and get paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Most marketing and business consultants. People waffling by the seat of their pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

SM746 wrote: »
    I like my bull**** arts degree which had led me to be a permanent teacher on 3 months paid holidays right now, sleeping to 11ish everyday and playing golf 4/5 times a week! oh and I loved my travels around america for 8weeks last summer and thailand for 6weeks the year before! Ya should try it, its deadly :D

In 100 years time, no one will remember you. Could happen to anybody. The trick is getting a tangible idea across. Not easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

'Toilet assistants' in night clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

SM746 wrote: »

You're not an english teacher by any chance,are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i write about video games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Estate Agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

Agents

Football agents, talent agents, estate agents...take your pick

• Advertisement

PE teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Helix wrote: »

If people are voluntarily paying you to do that then more power to you Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Helix wrote: »

Final Fantasy fan fiction?:eek:

alliteration ftw.

• Any career that's obviously just a rich kid hobby. All the spoiled rich 20-somethings I know are 'filmmakers' and 'photographers' but they don't actually get paid for these things because they live off Mammy and Daddy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If people are voluntarily paying you to do that then more power to you Sir.
    Have to disagree,game based learning (GBL) is going to be crucial in education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I personally am against people who stumble into teaching. Teaching should require, at least, a four year professional degree maybe even a masters and the first couple of years of teaching should be peer reviewed and if people are not up to scratch GTFO imo.

Agree with you on the idea of peer reviewing etc. There are a couple bad teachers in every school who just can't be sacked under the current system, even if their entire class fails. On the other hand, what do you mean by "professional degree"? If someone's teaching me French, I'd want them to have done a French degree. If someone's teaching me History, I'd expect them to have done a History degree etc. Those are arts degrees. Likewise, I'd expect Science and Maths teachers to have done Science and Maths degrees.
    There's always one...
    You don't necessarily need an BA to have any of those careers.However,I'm sure that a BA in something like Irish Folklore would in some way contribute something ground breaking to today's world...

See above. How can you become a teacher in any arts subject without having studied it?
    Irish Folklore mightn't be "ground-breaking" as you put it, but that doesn't mean it's pointless or that all arts degrees are pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Stylists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Have to disagree,game based learning (GBL) is going to be crucial in education.

I can't see how this is disagreeing with anything I said?

I know nothing of GBL tbh. If it's a good way of teaching kids then great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Conor "Director of Policy" Faughnan whatever the fuk that is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Health and Safety Officer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Barmen.

Stand around turning taps on and off all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Stylists?

Without stylists celebrities wouldn't know what to wear,and if there was no celebrity driven demand for cheap imitation clothes what the **** would all those asian kids do?

Learn?

Me bollix.

Those guys that stand on Grafton Street holding signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

7Sins wrote: »
    Food critics, dejected failed chefs with an insatiable need to feed the absyss left in their ego by their own failures in life.

Plasterers, mix some stuff, smear it on a wall and charge a couple of thousand for something a monkey could do.

All the cast of Fair City, nuff said.

also "painters"....roughly same as plasterers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

You're not an english teacher by any chance,are you?

nope pe and geography

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

advertising, PR, bank clerk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Social Media Guru

Create facebook, linkedin and twitter profiles and charge for it... WTF!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Ryan Tubridy

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I personally am against people who stumble into teaching. Teaching should require, at least, a four year professional degree maybe even a masters and the first couple of years of teaching should be peer reviewed and if people are not up to scratch GTFO imo.

Our kids are much too precious to be handed over to someone who is insulated from the real world by militant unions and who can spend 40 years being well paid with unbelievable holidays whilst being uttery incompetent.

Just no.

I'm a teacher and I agree with the majority of what's being said here, although the masters bit is not something that's necessary for teaching. You could know all there is to know about English Literature, for example, even have a phd in it- doesn't mean you know how to teach. Best teachers I ever had had the bare degree- in fact I find it can be a case of style over substance with some teachers who have a masters. I've considered doing a masters before but I genuinely doubt it would improve my teaching.

Primary teaching training is of a much higher standard than secondary- 3 years plus one year to earn your diploma while you are out teaching, so technically 4 years. But the PGDE or HDip as it used to be called is a joke- one year (well, 9 months really) with half that time taken up by pointless lectures about "Philosophy of Education" and "History of Education"- not ONE bit of which you will ever need or use in the classroom. The whole thing badly needs to be looked at. I was completely all over the place when I started teaching first, really had to learn on my feet. I know there was bound to be an element of that, because college can only ever prepare you so much- but I was very ill-equipped and through no fault of my own.

Anyhoo, back on topic- a certain amount of road workers. Obviously it's a necessary career, I just don't know if it's necessary to have so many.

Oh and Barry Egan. The man has made the ultimate career from bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

bassey wrote: »
    Health and Safety Officer

One in your workplace or a representative of the Handy Salary Association?

Gobsh1tes, one and all......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

A few years ago, during the height of the big brother/reality TV thing, one of the ex big brother contestants was doing an interview on the telly, and at the bottom of the screen was her name and her title: "REALITY EXPERT"

Holy begod. I know it's not a job description (well, I hope not) but it's always stuck with me as a particularly ridiculous thing to call someone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Naikon wrote: »
    Arts is a very important area of for society at large. It's just the sheer number of people engaging in this field is disproportionate to the relative gains the investment is supposed to bring. I am not against Arts, I have alot of respect for people who can "break the mould" so to speak. Anyone who is skilled in the Arts does not really need a college stamp, now do they? So you have to ask the question: Is Third Level really the best place for aspiring Artists? Why not just copyright and market your work? You can't teach people to become musicians, now can you? Arts is a cornerstone of society. The value of third level Arts is another matter entirely...

Again, going a bit OT here...

Not saying that people who are skilled in the arts need a 'college stamp', but having a third level education in something like English Literature can be useful to aspiring writers - having some knowledge of what came before, how to analyse and criticise works and how to properly read works of literature are all skills that can help cultivate a skill for writing that one might already have. Yes, arts degrees are generally overcrowded, and I do think that there should be more restrictions placed on who should be allowed into them, rather than just opening the flood gates come leaving cert results times. For example, if someone wants to get onto a music course then they should have to go through an audition process (which a lot of music courses have anyway), or if you want to study English Lit. they should maybe examine people's ability to write before letting them in, so as to filter out people who maybe are not capable. That way you get the people who should be studying the subjects and are capable getting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I think when people refer to bullsh*t arts degrees they mean bullish*t subjects that can be studied as part of an arts degree. I did an arts degree and can honestly say I learned feck all until I did my masters and now I'm doing a PhD in earth sciences/geology. I doubt I'm the only person to have done something like this. There is a lot of crap taught in arts degrees but I'm sure the same can be said of any degree.

Town planning... Absolutely pointless job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

News Of The World editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

El Siglo wrote: »

It seems you can only do that job if you are a complete and utter thick. So it gives the "thicks" something to do I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Those guys that stand on Grafton Street holding signs.

I went to a job interview for that! Guy said 'hold this till it gets hard'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Not saying that people who are skilled in the arts need a 'college stamp', but having a third level education in something like English Literature can be useful to aspiring writers - having some knowledge of what came before, how to analyse and criticise works and how to properly read works of literature are all skills that can help cultivate a skill for writing that one might already have. Yes, arts degrees are generally overcrowded, and I do think that there should be more restrictions placed on who should be allowed into them, rather than just opening the flood gates come leaving cert results times. For example, if someone wants to get onto a music course then they should have to go through an audition process (which a lot of music courses have anyway), or if you want to study English Lit. they should maybe examine people's ability to write before letting them in, so as to filter out people who maybe are not capable. That way you get the people who should be studying the subjects and are capable getting in.

We all know of people who go and do arts because they want to go to college and go on the piss but have no clue what they want to study, it's not everyone but there is a significant amount. Arts gets a bad rep over this. At the end of the day science courses do not have high numbers because most people are just not interested. I think Physics and chemistry being viewed as "hard" leaving cert subjects has a lot to do with this. As for the last part of your post I think everyone can agree that there needs to be some change to the points system. Why someone scoring three higher level A1s in the 3 science subjects has the potential to lose out on a science course to someone who didn't do a single science subject at leaving cert level is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Royal Watchers

(not sure if its an actual job or just a hobby but one hears them mentioned now and again on BBC/ITV/$ky news when its a slow news day)
    El Siglo wrote: »

Beg to differ.

Just because the overwhelming majority of people employed to do a certain job happen to be totally shyte doesnt diminish the importance of the actual job itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AnamGlas wrote: »
    News Of The World editor

Not technically a job anymore :P
    I went to a job interview for that! Guy said 'hold this till it gets hard'.

I had a job like that before, cycling home after work was f'in painful for the first few weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Ryan Tubridy

What about you Chris Hansen? You make a living from cockblocking dudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Market Research" == "How can we fcuk the competition over?"
    Beat me to it. Though it's about more than just the competition, it's also about how to fool the public in to buying stuff they don't need. :mad:

My idea: Theologian. The kind of person who knows that the Bible has a warning against "building your house on sand", then proceeds to work on this incredibly ornate, complicated, pretty-looking intellectual edifice that hangs in the air, completely unconnected to the ground. :o

A comment on other comments: remember, the question wasn't whether a job is demanding or difficult: the question was whether it's bull****. I know that Theology is a heavy academic subject, but it's still bull****. It's complicated because people made it complicated, and the same goes for many "Arts" subjects, like Sociology or Media Studies. Without its artificial complications, there would be no need for an academia to study its complications. Compare this to e.g. Engineering, in which the complications actually lead to real-world benefits, such as the computer I'm using to type this.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

Not a job, but I don't think this course would land you one any time soon...

http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/1645/Pages/CourseOverview.aspx

I gotta say, that made me LOL. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Professional gamer

great money to be made in that if you can get enough subscribers on youtube to your channels. also some of the big games contests have prizes of 50k and over, theres a Call Of Duty comp with a $1 million prize coming up in LA, thats a sh1tload of money to be made for such a pointless career.

I gotta say, that made me LOL. :D

At first I thought they were basically trolling:)

OT I know - but it's getting worse, at least in the US of A: http://bigstupididiot.com/2009/09/28/20-ridiculous-college-courses/

What about those people that distribute cans on the street? Got a fanta the other day. Not full time I reckon, but imagine the tagline: "I distribute cans to the man on the street, you?"

At first I thought they were basically trolling:)

OT I know - but it's getting worse, at least in the US of A: http://bigstupididiot.com/2009/09/28/20-ridiculous-college-courses/

Haha! I also think I heard something recently about some college in the US having a course dedicated exclusively to Lady Gaga. I want to know who studies these things? Why do these courses exist in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Karl Pilkington. I don't know how to describe his work but he's basically made a living out of being an absolute ignoramus. I think he's hilarious and for someone so simple he really landed on his feet. He's like a comedian who doesn't do jokes, he's just himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

lol are they sitting there discussing a diagram of a surfboard ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Had a mate who did this in Plymouth , The course focuses alot on oceanography.He ended up working on coastal survey ships.

Advertisement