Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull**** Careers

12346»

Comments

I know someone said politician already. Ask them why they wanted to be a politician and they will tell you 'For the people'. If they really wanted to serve the people then why dont they drive an ambulance or be a fireman?

I posed this question to one before and he told me he used to be in the FCA years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Doctor, oh really you save people, shut up and get on the construction site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Professional golfers- make too much money for going on am extended walk around the countryside trying to get a ball into a hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Clingfilm salesmen.

Work on the butcher's counter of a supermarket and needed a new type of clingfilm for the wrapping machine. Two lads wearing suits, and thinking they were of the utmost importance, came in to show us different types etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I got chatting to a guy once in a pub in Dublin that said he was a Life Coach. Aaaahhhh shaddddduuuup.:rolleyes:

Life Coach has to be one of the biggest jokes out there. And they can get good money too.

Basically paying a person to tell you how to live your life. How to section between work and personal? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

PE teacher anyone can force children to do laps and watch them play soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

PE teacher anyone can force children to do laps and watch them play soccer

Don't PE Teachers normally have to teach a 'real' subject or two also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

kfallon wrote: »

one of the ones in my school didn't she worked for the school completion program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Fremen wrote: »
    So what do we need? Give me a country full of engineers over a country full of history graduates any day.

Fourier analysis was an unfortunate choice. It's one of the most disgustingly useful bits of maths I've ever come across.

essential to most electronics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Recruitment. The HR industry is an incestous self preserving web of bull**** and recruiters are leeches. They make up these processes to apparently narrow down the best people for the job by asking bull**** questions about personal strengths and weaknesses or what superhero you most relate to, and who ever rehearses the the most ego inflating answer wins, and it's all so that they can create this industry they call recruitment and therefore keep themselves relevant. Scum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Homeopathy. Surely doesn't need to be justified.

I don't get it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 noddyForGold

Guidance counselor maybe its just the one in our school wasn't doing his job right. But it seemed absolute bull**** job to me. Your career us telling other people what there career should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Psycologist , psycic , tarot reader , life coach , interior designer , priest , trade unionist , lobbyist , street magician, the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Any career that doesn't help those less fortunate than yourself = bull****.

...as far as I'm concerned.

Of course that's not how the world we live in has chosen to "function."

I of course don't judge anybody for their career. I don't have that right - and neither do any of you. We all only do what we think is right. We all need money to feed our families.

Most careers are bull****, to be quite honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Oh yeah !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

Your career us telling other people what there career should be.

A lot of people (young and old) find it difficult to work out what type of career they are suited to. It is extremely helpful to have somebody who can help them figure this out. It can make life a lot less confusing, and choices a lot less stressful for people.

A lot of guidance counsellors aren't good at their job, so you probably have experience only with a bad one.

Have you honestly never heard the phrase "don't tar them all with the same brush?"

kfallon wrote: »

No. Mine certainly didn't.

The PE teachers I have experience with were an absolute joke. Unless their job description was as follows...
    • Pay attention only to those already good at sports
    • Spend non of your time making the un-athletic more athletic and focus all your attention on the already-athletic
    • Ignore those not good at sports
    • Make those not good at sports feel worse about themselves
    • Increase opportunities for kids to feel excluded and unwanted
    • Be on a constant power-trip, thinking you're better than others just because you're athletic and they're not

....then they were indeed total jokes of people.

But that was just my experience - I'm sure there are PE teachers out there who did in fact provide physical education.

Chip on my shoulder? Who, me? :rolleyes:

P.S. You're all so judgemental of other people's careers.

Unless you're going to say what it is that you yourself do - and let us judge you - then I really don't think you should get to judge others.

So stop hiding behind your judgement of others - tell us what YOU do, and let us judge you! See how you like it!

Okay I know this is my fifth post, but I keep coming across new depths of ridiculousness in this thread.

My verdict on almost all of the posters in this thread is that you are judging careers that you clearly don't know enough about to make a judgement call on.

Comments such as "I mean, what does [so and so] do. All they do is x, y and z!" could not be more ignorant if they tried.

If you are personally of the opinion that a certain career does not involve much work/skill, that does not mean that it doesn't - it means that you personally don't know much about or understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

whirlpool wrote: »
    Okay I know this is my fifth post, but I keep coming across new depths of ridiculousness in this thread.

My verdict on almost all of the posters in this thread is that you are judging careers that you clearly don't know enough about to make a judgement call on.

Comments such as "I mean, what does [so and so] do. All they do is x, y and z!" could not be more ignorant if they tried.

If you are personally of the opinion that a certain career does not involve much work/skill, that does not mean that it doesn't - it means that you personally don't know much about or understand it.

Good evening Sir, Could you blow into this bag please ?? :pac:

charlemont wrote: »
    Good evening Sir, Could you blow into this bag please ?? :pac:

I'm wondering which parts of my post you disagree with.

Or maybe you think I'm taking the thread too seriously, I don't know.

But I do think that if we're going to have eighteen pages of people being told their careers are utter bull****, it should at least come from an informed place and not from a circle-jerk party of ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Psycologist , psycic , tarot reader , life coach , interior designer , priest , trade unionist , lobbyist , street magician, the dole

18 pages before someone mentioned fortune teller, someone actually suggested doctor before this.

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

Chiropractors - Pure and utter codswollop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

you'll have to water it down for me, i dont quite understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Music Critics, Film Critics, Book Critics = all just someone´s opinion that doesn´t matter. YOU listen/watch/read and make up your own mind!!

I work in online marketing and often think it´s bullsh1t, that it´s not noble enough like an engineer, or teacher, or plumber, or pilot etc.....

Makeover/fashion tv presenters, the Xpose team = all irrelevant tosh....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You know what they call alternative medicine that's been proven to work?

Medicine
    -Tim Minchin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

286 posts in are there any careers that aren't bullshit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Research Psychologist - A never ending cycle of discrediting each others work without showing any valid results. Before the study begins they know what they want to prove and will simply gear the questions in such a way that they get the answers they want and if they don't, they simply remove that person from their sample! Unethical bull plop!

Criminal Psychology is cool, the rest if flakey as sh!t

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

whirlpool wrote: »
    P.S. You're all so judgemental of other people's careers.

Unless you're going to say what it is that you yourself do - and let us judge you - then I really don't think you should get to judge others.

So stop hiding behind your judgement of others - tell us what YOU do, and let us judge you! See how you like it!

Okay then, artist. Far too many art courses and students, most artists have other jobs, its not a hobby it is more like business than anything else just not very financially rewarding..

But hey I wouldn't want to take any other path

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

At least artists, like musicians , are doing something others may pay to indulge in. Artists are not making false claims which cannot be scientifically proven, like Homeopathists for example. There was a good documentary on prime time BBC a year or 2 ago showing homeopathy to be ....not unlike a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I sense a lot of angry, unemployed, people venting their frustration at others in here :)

I can't pretend to support all of the professions that have been called out in here, but most of them are perfectly valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

For me it's HR and recruitment agencies.
    HR is bollox, you get to decide who to hire based on the criteria your boss tells you to hire people on. Why can't the different depatment bosses, supervisors etc just hire the people they want instead of some jumped up bimbo who knows SFA about the job she's in charge of hiring for.

Recruitment is useless too, you're looking for a job for people who are looking for a job. Stupid, look for a job yourself.

oh, i forgot one PR...but we all know PR people are just the cock suckers for Satan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Robdude wrote: »
    I sense a lot of angry, unemployed, people venting their frustration at others in here :)

I can't pretend to support all of the professions that have been called out in here, but most of them are perfectly valid.
    Yep, mostly just people bitching about jobs they don't like, but which aren't actually bullsh1t :)

Although there were some bullsh1t jobs all right before the recession, to be fair - like wedding planner and personal shopper. If people are willing to spend money on that nonsense though, can't blame people for cashing in!

Advertisement