Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Garlic

Options
  • 24-07-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Ive just started growing some very basic veg and managed to gather a pretty good crop of baby gem lettuce so far. Massive achievement :p

What I really want to grow is my own garlic. In the supermarket Ive been amazed by the labels on the garlic showing where it was grown! China etc!

When/How should I plant it?

Also, is it possible to plant garlic at intervals so that it'd be available most of the year?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Plant garlic in Sept-October for harvesting in June -July. http://www.garden.ie/howtogrow.aspx?id=1049

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Trotter wrote: »
    Ive just started growing some very basic veg and managed to gather a pretty good crop of baby gem lettuce so far. Massive achievement :p

What I really want to grow is my own garlic. In the supermarket Ive been amazed by the labels on the garlic showing where it was grown! China etc!

When/How should I plant it?

Also, is it possible to plant garlic at intervals so that it'd be available most of the year?

Thanks!

Re the lettuce - good work fella.
    The garlic coming from China and the food miles involved was something that got me started as well, is France not nearer FFS.
    I plant garlic right up to December, harvest in July and start again. Make sure it grows through it cycle, lift, dry, pleat up and store - fairly straight forward really.
    Its slow growing and grows well with leek, also slow.
    Use winter radish and lettuce as catch crops to maximise your space -

keep up the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

simonj wrote: »
    I plant garlic right up to December, harvest in July and start again. Make sure it grows through it cycle, lift, dry, pleat up and store - fairly straight forward really.

Do you stage the planting? As in some in October, some in November, December etc or is there any real need to do that?

I didnt realise you could grow loads and then harvest it in the Summer and use it then throughout the year. I actually thought it'd go off. Ya live ya learn :)

Advertisement