Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might need a spot of help

Options
  • 24-07-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Here's my thread from a few weeks back that I eventually ordered parts for a build.

Anyway, I ordered these from scan:

Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, S1155 1 £136.17
    MSI P67A-GD55 (B3), 2x PCI-E x16 SL 1 £93.67
    1GB MSI HD 6870 HAWK, 4200MHz GDDR5 1 £112.68
    1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, S 1 £32.91

- in the process of trying to RMA that motherboard but scan are saying it's damaged so they did not even test it. (queue angry phone call in the morning to a manager)

Bought another mobo off adverts and for love nor money can not get it working. Headache/nightmare rolled into one.

So I have put my new graphics card and hard drives etc into old build with crappy mobo, cpu and ram. Not good.

Would anyone be so saintly as to be able to assist me in finding out if my processor and ram that I have sitting here is working? Basically I would need someone with a full 1155 sandybridge build willing to test my parts in their system?

I know the graphics card and hard drives are in pwo, if I found out that the RAM and CPU are in working order then I can make arrangements for a new motherboard to get my system up and running.

If there is anyone out there willing to help (superman!) I would owe them a mountain of gratitude. Mountain!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Why are Scan saying your motherboard is damaged? Did they actually get it, or did they decide over the phone that they wouldn't test it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

They have it since Friday, they emailed me some pictures of the damage. They say the cpu socket is damaged yet I have a picture of it not damaged before I returned it so I will be having a word with a manager there tomorrow to resolve it. (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Hey if you haven't talked to the manager yet would you mind doing me a favour and asking him when hes expecting the 3GB EVGA 580 to come into stock (code: LN39544)? Cheers :P

Well no luck with scan, they say the board is damaged and are flat out refusing to refund or replace the motherboard for me. (I have no idea how/when/if the damage was caused by me but that is a fight for another thread)

So back to my original plea for help, if there is anyone with a 1155 motherboard that would be willing to try my i5 2500k and ram in to see if they are working before I go buy another board I would be very very very very grateful.

Took the plunge and went and ordered a new board. Fingers crossed I get it right this time or I will actually cry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Vikings wrote: »
    Well no luck with scan, they say the board is damaged and are flat out refusing to refund or replace the motherboard for me. (I have no idea how/when/if the damage was caused by me but that is a fight for another thread)

So back to my original plea for help, if there is anyone with a 1155 motherboard that would be willing to try my i5 2500k and ram in to see if they are working before I go buy another board I would be very very very very grateful.

If you have pictures of it undamaged before you sent it off, there is no way scan can turn you down for an RMA. If you just keep arguing with them, and don't take no for an answer it they will eventually back down and send you a replacement.

F*ck my life!

Collected the new board from DPD 45 minutes ago. Got home and straight to it.

Installed the CPU + Fan and plugged in both power cords and power switch. Pressed power, fan starts up for 2 seconds then cuts out will not boot at all.

Faulty processor? Is there anything else that could be causing this? Frustrated beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Processor, unfortunately...

Just to make sure, plug as much as you can into your old computer, and stress your CPU, GPU, memory, whatever you can to get your PSU to pull as much power as possible. It could be that it's your PSU, and it's shutting off when trying to pull too much power, which your old system might not have triggered.

I don't think it's your PSU, but the above is easier to do than waiting another week for a replacement chip.

In my fit of rage, through which I managed to be somewhat polite to scan's customer service people, I called and started the RMA process for the CPU.

If there are any issues with this RMA I will go through the roof, I may even fly over and pay a personal visit to scan's address to sort it out once and for all!

I'm sure i'll be back when I get the new processor and have further problems. It's bound to happen considering my luck so far.

Advertisement