Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help a potential convert please!

• 24-07-2011 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

Hi guys,
    I'm interested in Islam and if I end up believing in it I may convert.
    Could you provide links suitable for a non-believer(and possible convert)?
    Also if there are any converts on the forum maybe could ye suggest what was good for you? (in the line of books, websites etc.)
    Also maybe I could chat with converts(if ye guys/gals don't mind) just so I could find out how easy/hard it was for you(especially with family)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

What has caused you to take an interest in Islam?. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

Freiheit wrote: »
    What has caused you to take an interest in Islam?. :)
    I was reading some articles online about Muhammad's life and about the Quran, and it has really piqued my interest. I mean I never really had an interest in Catholicism, it just seemed wrong for me. It doesn't idk "fit". Like I have read the Bible and Jesus being son of God seems wrong to me. The Bible (OT) acts like God isn't a man but yet he can have a child?

Also the Communion bit I don't agree with. It's a piece of wafer, not Jesus!

I've a strong interest too despite being an atheist myself. There has been converts here, a lady called Medina a few years ago. I'm based in Limerick too so any time you fancy a chat over coffee let me know:)..don't know of any convert sites but you'l get a lot of testimonials on Youtube,or can ask questions on Turntoislam.com.

Bevvie wrote: »
    I mean I never really had an interest in Catholicism, it just seemed wrong for me. It doesn't idk "fit". Like I have read the Bible and Jesus being son of God seems wrong to me. The Bible (OT) acts like God isn't a man but yet he can have a child?

Lack of interest/belief in one religion isn't really an argument for another one...?

I've a strong interest too despite being an atheist myself. There has been converts here, a lady called Medina a few years ago. I'm based in Limerick too so any time you fancy a chat over coffee let me know:)..don't know of any convert sites but you'l get a lot of testimonials on Youtube,or can ask questions on Turntoislam.com.

I'd love to :) I have some resources I got emailed to me (they're like leaflets and booklets) if want me to pass em on :)

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Lack of interest/belief in one religion isn't really an argument for another one...?

Actually I just mentioned one example of why I am interested in Islam. There are other reasons.

If I wasn't gay I'd have an interest in converting. While there is gay friendly branches of Islam,I'd have a tought time there. But I'd love to chat some time.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Not sure what exactly you are looking for but here a link to a video of one convert. I believe it was posted here before. Its long but very interesting regardless of your belief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYMKQKSV0bY&feature=BFa&list=FLzu42fRqd7ig&index=2

Here is a forum you can you use. Plenty of discussion,history of Islam, more information on various aspects of Islam etc. I haven't used it much but it looks quite good.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/index.php

I'm also free you have any questions just PM me. :)

If I wasn't gay I'd have an interest in converting. While there is gay friendly branches of Islam,I'd have a tought time there. But I'd love to chat some time.:)
    It's the one thing that bugs me is the treatment of gays. Unfortunately though its like that in most(if not all) religions. Likewise though I'd love to chat :)

There schools of thought within Islam that accommodate gay and transgender identities, I posted a book a while back,but it's a minority opinion at the moment.

I can't believe in God but I've always been fascinated by the spirituality of Islam and would always encourage people to follow whats right for them,research Islam and follow it if in time it feels right for you.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

There schools of thought within Islam that accommodate gay and transgender identities, I posted a book a while back,but it's a minority opinion at the moment.

Click here for a link to the earlier thread. The book is Homosexuality in Islam: Critical Reflection on Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims by Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle (OneWorld, 2010). A warning - it's heavy-going and assumes quite a lot of knowledge about Islam.

Another site for stories about why various people became Muslims is:

http://www.revertmuslims.com/stories.html

A YouTube site with many conversion stories is the AllyOfAllah site - this used to be regularly updated, but there's not been anything new for the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

I was reading some articles online about Muhammad's life and about the Quran, and it has really piqued my interest. I mean I never really had an interest in Catholicism, it just seemed wrong for me. It doesn't idk "fit". Like I have read the Bible and Jesus being son of God seems wrong to me. The Bible (OT) acts like God isn't a man but yet he can have a child?

God, who was also the Son of God, was also going to be a conundrum. Naturally some Christians quickly came to other conclusions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

This is also an old debate, some people found a solution here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant_Reformation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I was reading some articles online about Muhammad's life and about the Quran, and it has really piqued my interest.

What in particular piqued your interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Yusuf34

Ramadan Mubarak! Dear Brother and Sisters!

I reverted to Islam by the Mercy of Allah, The Most Merciful; about 3 years ago, after watching this Youtube video. Being a former Christian myself, I could relate to this Sister 100%, after she told her story. It touched my heart so much that I humbly cried. Crying being an emotional response to truth, happiness, peace, belonging, purpose, love, mercy, forgiveness, sincerity.

It was the calm and the genuineness of this sisters story, as well as the Guidance and Mercy of Allah that has brought me to believe in Islam and the pure message of Islam.

It was a video I only needed to see once but approx. a year later after accepting Islam, I watched it again and I cried again. Subhan'Allah.

The truth about Allah and about our purpose in life entered into my heart with love, understanding and peace, something that I could not ignore or turn away from. I believe it is the truth as it was an amazing felt experience.

With all the self help books and purpose driven advice over the years, there was still something missing and nothing left but to turn to "God" for help. Although self help is important, the Peace that we are all searching for, was missing!

But looking back further, for many years, I questioned so much about life, my purpose and my environment. Something was still missing. I spoke out with words like... "why can I not go directly to God?", rejecting Christianity as it is today. The other question I had was... "there is no book about life!". In my ignorance at the time, Allah, the All Hearing and the All Wise... knows what is in our hearts and All Praise be to Allah, for revealing His Holy Qur'an to mankind through our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him). The Qur'an is a guide and a light for the whole of humanity and a solution to the problems of mankind. It is truly a miracle.

I had just separated from my wife at that time and one night after laying on the floor on a semi-inflated mattress in my new apartment, I looked out to the darkness of the night. I felt very alone and I was scared and I cried out for help. I humbly cried out to "God", above the name but whatever understanding I had about "God" I had in my heart!.

I would highly recommend to watch this video, as it completely changed my life. All Praise is due to Allah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJpL7lY7jvY

Peace,
    Yusuf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Yusuf34

Other links to answer questions on Islam is: www.chatislamonline.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ninky

this looks fairly interesting: https://www.islamicvision.co.uk/index.php

also: http://www.irf.net/

http://www.emel.com/

any thoughts on the above?..

a few months back I was watching a daytime tv type debate on islam in the west and really liked the way a girl who had converted to islam, who was a member of the cambridge university islamic society spoke about her belief so logically..i think islam has a really spiritual message which gets lost with muslims almost subliminally being portrayed as nutjobs,mostly in trashy tabloids which many people (including myself:D ) find easier to read..

also there was really interesting documentary on bbc NI a few weeks back, presented by ragi omar(?) about the life of the prophet Mohammed..quite an eye opener..its as if the example he set has become diluted in the hands of some present day corrupt leaders leading the illiterate masses who can't study the faith for themselves..(i'll stop ranting now:) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

i didn't know that tbh
    all i know is my sister converted a good few years ago and my gay brother isn't allowed in their house
    to the op, imo stay well clear unless you like being treated like a second class citizen,

heavyballs wrote: »
    i didn't know that tbh
    all i know is my sister converted a good few years ago and my gay brother isn't allowed in their house
    to the op, imo stay well clear unless you like being treated like a second class citizen,

imo OP should study it and then decide whether its for her..you'll have to elaborate on why your sister is being treated/allowing herself to be treated like a second class citizen..

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Mohammed the Prophet. What prophecy did he ever make?

probably not the best person to answer this but a prophet because he conveyed a message warning people about various evils etc just as other religions do/have done..but he did prophesise(?) stuff relating to doomsday and the lead up to it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fhaidry

Slaam (May God Bless You) dear

just logged on and saw this thread. I am very happy to see that you are interested in ISLAM. Thats really nice.

Dear as i myself am a muslim it doesn't means that i will favor my Religion but i will suggest you do alots of Research before entering into circle of Islam so that before embracing Islam you may have answers to all the questions that you have in your mind and the questions that people may ask you after becoming Muslim.

Here i am going to send you a very nice and heart touching video see it and feel the peace.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSMMa8V_Wmw

If you need any help at any time regarding ISLAM and have any question please feel free to contact me.

Thank you

Salam Alaikom ( May God Bless You)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 abk

Hi guys,
    Also if there are any converts on the forum maybe could ye suggest what was good for you? (in the line of books, websites etc.)
    Also maybe I could chat with converts(if ye guys/gals don't mind) just so I could find out how easy/hard it was for you(especially with family)?

PM me and can be able to chat with you about Islam and can get a translated copy of the Quran (Holy Book) for you. I also have some DVD's which may shed some light about Islam for you. One of the best DVD's is by Khalid Yasin (a convert himself) on the subject "Purpose of Life", I think it is on You Tube also. I live in Dublin.

fhaidry that link doesn't really provide any reasons for or against becoming a muslim..are you a convert yourself?what has your experience been?tia

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Tell me why you believe?In as precise a way as you possibly can .I'll make allowance for the possibility that english is not your first language.Go ahead!

abk wrote: »
    PM me and can be able to chat with you about Islam and can get a translated copy of the Quran (Holy Book) for you. I also have some DVD's which may shed some light about Islam for you. One of the best DVD's is by Khalid Yasin (a convert himself) on the subject "Purpose of Life", I think it is on You Tube also. I live in Dublin.

hmmm...he looks like he's a buddhist..not exactly what was being asked for but oh well..thanks in anycase

Hi

nice to see your reply. I just posted this link to let READERS of this post know what a reverter thinks and how he/she Become Muslim.

I am Muslim by Birth. Thanks to God.

As far your question is concerned about reasons to embrace ISLAM lies inside your own brains. See inside you, around you AND every where.

In the Holy Book Quran GOD SAYS: " We created this Universe to test who is Good and who is bad and who follows my commands and who defies me, and for My followers there are Sings of My existence".

So now its upto us when and how we find those sings.

One very important thing there is not a single thing single matter in Islam that is harmful for Us humans and this World. Every thing that our religion tells us is authentic and Benefial to us.

Read Quran (now available in almost all languages) and see it for yourself. Plus there are alots alots alots of truth and Secrets in this Holy Book plus This books also Validates and Confirms all the Prophets and Books Before Last Prophet MOHAMMAD P.B.U.H and Quran like Jesus Bible, Moses ETC.

You can say ISLAM is the latest and updated Version of Relegion after Jesus and Bible (but we dont belive Jesus to be the Son of God) except this everything we belive.

Feel free to ask more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

paddyandy, take a 7 day break. Hopefully you will have matured by then

Irish convert welcome to the chat.

We are not here in this chat session to insult, humiliate or degrade any body or any religion. We only say onething Go Study by yourself and see whats True and whats Wrong ,, whats Good and whats Bad. Make decision by yourself. Don't follow others if you dont want to be ,, decision is in your own hands.

I am 100% Sure if you will study Islam you will convert. This is why the Western Media and American Media try to show such things which has nothing to do with ISLAM like the SO CALLED JIHAD which is going on now a days is totally a propaganda and these people are either funded or brainwashed to do such activities in the name of GOD. In realliy this type of JIHAD or Terrorism is totally forbidden in ISLAM. There is a HADIS( saying of Holy Prophet Mohammad P.B.U.H) "Killing once innocent person is just like as you have murdered all the people and saving one life is as equal as saving the whole world". Another Saying is this " HE/SHE is not from us with whose hands and tongue are not save other people". See such a peaceful Religion Such a peaceful Sayings then how could It be so brutal like the way the media is presenting it now a days.

This propaganda is funded just to create Hatred in common Person so that they dont even go near Islam and dont even just study it,, Because they know if People will study it they will Turn Muslim because its the true Religion of GOD.

May God bless you all. Study it by yourself and if you need any help regarding any point do let me know. :):):):):)

Salaam

• Advertisement

i didn't know that tbh,all i know is my sister converted a good few years ago and my gay brother isn't allowed in their house
    Yes there is Imaan in the UK and Al Fitah (I think that's the correct name) in the U.S.A.,which even performs Islamic same sex marriages. Both are small in terms of support currently but hopefuly that will change.

i didn't know that tbh,all i know is my sister converted a good few years ago and my gay brother isn't allowed in their house
    Yes there is Imaan in the UK and Al Fitah (I think that's the correct name) in the U.S.A.,which even performs Islamic same sex marriages. Both are small in terms of support currently but hopefuly that will change.

Freheit, Thanx for taking part in discussion. i want to share some of my own views about your this statment. I am a born Muslim and come from a Muslim Country Pakistan the time i spent with my family, Friend and the whole Society and as far as i studied and i know there is NO Gayism in ISLAM. Contrary to this ISLAM denounces this kind of relationship.

If you have seen people doing this and they say they are MUSLIM then they are not Muslim,, Infact they are using ISLAM's name for their own joys and entertainment.

GOD clearly says in the holy book QURAN that " I have made pairs of all of you". This is something that was Revealed about 1400 Years AGO and before 100 150 years no body knew that there are also males and females in other living things too except Humans and ANIMALS. This is the latest studies that showed that Plants and Insects also have males and females in them and they also have system of mating and reproducing.

So why go against GOD commands and sayings. What GOD does is all for our betterment. You think and you will see that nothing in UNIVERSE is there that goes against GOD'S its only us HUMANS who GOD has given free hand and don't forget its only for testing us that who is good and who is bad and there is no doubt that the Believers and abiding will be rewarded well on the day of JUDGEMENT.

Just take simple example, see in your own life think about your creation why you are in this world. Take example of a student, the students are given a certain time spam in which he/she is allowed to study and do prepare and prepare for what an EXAM. At the exams day the students who studied and worked hard all year around they get through exams and pass it and do get well rewards like respect from friends family and do get also get good jobs in return while the students who fail they face lots of problems like embarrassment and sometimes punishment and also there is a need to see if you are studying the latest syllabus or not. Latest syllabus with so many new additions in it. If you keep on studying tough and very hard but you studied the old syllabus then all in vain you will still fail the exam cos you have not enough knowledge for new updated syllabus.

So take this simple example and try to feel the real reason for our creation, and from new syllabus i mean to talk about Islam and Christianity(Except this that IN Islam we don't believe Jesus to be the son of GOD). Christianity is old version of ISLAM and the latest Version is Islam itself. So work hard on new syllabus and have good lucks for upcoming Exams.

Hope you will find it useful.

God bless you all.

Asaalamo alikom. (GOD BLESS YOU).

I'd ask you to read the work of Scott Siraj Al-Haqq Kugle and also manifestos' of Imaan and Al-Fatiha Foundation . Don't assume that you have the answers,don't judge others,examine other points of view. It might broaden your mind and make you a more productive citizen of the Muslim and world community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

OP, are you sure this is not just an "interest" in islam rather than wanting to be one? my point being are you prepared to do,every day, all that stuff that comes with islam, like wereing a burka or a hijab every time you leave the house - what if its a rally hot day? or not being able to go out on your own without you OH or brother.

do you plan to abserve hallal? then no more suasages or ham i guess.

not just doing the a la carte thing is fine I guess, but going the full hog, burka and all seems a bit idiotic tbh. No offence intended.

To freheit:

Dear the links that u sent me i googled them and a complete page appeared on wikipedia whose adress is as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Muslims

Here you can see that what is written down there,, There is also mentioned a guy who wanted to become gay but couldn't do it in Pakistan (A Muslim Country) then he came out of Pakistan into Uk and become gay there and then he studies work of an organisation in America and made his own sister organization in Uk for gays and Lesbians Muslims in Uk.

You can clearly see that Islam Doesn't allows this Gayism,, It Islam had allowed it then he would have become gay in Pakistan. Why did he leave Pakistan when according to you Gayism is allowed in Islam.

Dear i told you these people are using the name Islam for their own sake just because they are so much indulged in Gayism that they don't want to go back , so they are using Quranic Verses changing their meanings according to their own needs.

I hope this would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

It's the one thing that bugs me is the treatment of gays.

Not to mention the treatment of women, or the belief that anyone who believes in any religion other than Islam is an infidel and deserves death.
    I'm an atheist BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

fhaidry wrote: »
    there is NO Gayism in ISLAM.
    You can clearly see that Islam Doesn't allows this Gayism
    Why did he leave Pakistan when according to you Gayism is allowed in Islam.
    Dear i told you these people are using the name Islam for their own sake just because they are so much indulged in Gayism that they don't want to go back , so they are using Quranic Verses changing their meanings according to their own needs.

I believe the word you're looking for here is *homosexuality* :rolleyes:

Siuin wrote: »
    I believe the word you're looking for here is *homosexuality* :rolleyes:

Indeed dear. Actually in conversation this word was mostly used to so also used this very same word. Thanx for correction anyways.

Indeed dear. Actually in conversation this word was mostly used to so also used this very same word. Thanx for correction anyways.
    No, it will be equally incorrect if you use 'gayism' in conversation. It is not a word that you will find in any proper English dictionary. It is used by some homophobic people, but this doesn't make it a real word.

There is no 'Gayism' in the English language,please take lessons in the language.

Again I resent your attempt to superimpose your views on a billion believers. Don't you dare again to attempt to speak for others. As mentioned earlier there is some schools in Islam who have accommodated lesbian,gay,bisexual and transgender identities. Read their publications before you dismiss them. Even if you do eventually decide to dismiss them,don't claim to represent anyone other than yourselves.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Not to mention the treatment of women, or the belief that anyone who believes in any religion other than Islam is an infidel and deserves death.
    I'm an atheist BTW.

You couldn't be more wrong. Any more nonsense like that and you will be taking a break from this forum

• Advertisement

There is no 'Gayism' in the English language,please take lessons in the language.
    Ok ok ok, this is not english lessons here, knock it off please.
    Again I resent your attempt to superimpose your views on a billion believers. Don't you dare again to attempt to speak for others. As mentioned earlier there is some schools in Islam who have accommodated lesbian,gay,bisexual and transgender identities. Read their publications before you dismiss them. Even if you do eventually decide to dismiss them,don't claim to represent anyone other than yourselves.

All the major sects of Islam don't agree with the practise of homosexuality. Sure there may be some small break away sects who do, but they have deviated away from the true message and are innovating. And they are in a very small minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 IslamicSister

OP, are you sure this is not just an "interest" in islam rather than wanting to be one? my point being are you prepared to do,every day, all that stuff that comes with islam, like wereing a burka or a hijab every time you leave the house - what if its a rally hot day?.

I just wanted to say I got a really good laugh out of that :D No offence intended I actually was giggling away :p

Millions of women wear the hijab by choice out of love and reverence for God , even on really hot days :D

I started wearing it 4 years ago when I converted, and tbh you can get lovely thin hijabs (on websites such as www.pearl-daisy.com) it's my fave anyway... and many people complain of heat when I actually feel cool.

I mean do you go around naked when the sun shines? You still wear baseball cap etc , the heat doesn't affect us. Except now when I take it off my neck feels cold :D

I've evolved (see science and religion can live side by side) :p

Thanks for all the help guys,
    I'm still studying but will definately take Shahada.
    I'm just wondering if there are any female muslims in Limerick that I can chat with, I don't really know any muslims here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abu Baraa

There is ijma that whoever makes halal haram or haram into halal is a kaffir. So there are no Muslims who say homosexuality is allowed. There are of course gay Muslims in the same way as there are Muslim thiefs and Muslim adulterers.

who are you to say that people who call themselves Muslims are not?. Sadly I can't expect any impartiality from Moderators,judging from past experience anyway. A moderator should not take sides but to this point they always have done her.

Good luck Bevvie:)

who are you to say that people who call themselves Muslims are not?. Sadly I can't expect any impartiality from Moderators,judging from past experience anyway. A moderator should not take sides but to this point they always have done her.

I didnt say I, I said Ijma. Please understand the difference.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (d. 728H):

“Whenever a person makes halal what is haram by consensus or makes haram what is halal by consensus or replaces the Sharee’ah that is agreed upon by consensus, then he is a Kaffir by the agreement of the scholars of Fiqh.” – “Al-Fataawa”, Vol. 3/267

As for the act of homosexuality itself the Prophet SAW said : "Kill the one that is doing it and also kill the one that it is being done to."

Indeed it is not befitting that when he SAW said this that anyone disputes it.

Banned for discussing moderation on thread

Hi guys,

This may help:

http://kalamullah.com/non-muslims.html

and this after you become Muslim inshaAllah:

http://kalamullah.com/new-muslims.html

Abu Baraa wrote: »
    This may help:

http://kalamullah.com/non-muslims.html

and this after you become Muslim inshaAllah:

http://kalamullah.com/new-muslims.html

Seems like a pretty hardline interpretation of Islam- in the second link under 'For Sisters' it states: http://kalamullah.com/sisters.html
    O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful.

Soorah Al-Ahzaab 33.59

• Advertisement
Advertisement