Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help a potential convert please!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

In my humble opinion anyone who converts from one religion to another is going from the frying pan into the fire.
    In Ireland I have seen and experienced the worst of religion practiced by majorities North and South and I dont need to explain for those who have any knowledge of recent or ancient history.
    In Pakistan, Banglandesh, Sri Lanka, India, Nepal and others I have seen the worst of the dominant religions in action and experienced what its like as an unbeliver to be treated as dirt.
    It is a great pity that people feel they have to graft themselves onto a religion to enjoy spirituality, to have purpose or to feel delivered from guilt.
    Wake up and smell the coffee - without religion its free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Siuin wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty hardline interpretation of Islam- in the second link under 'For Sisters' it states: http://kalamullah.com/sisters.html
    O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful.

Soorah Al-Ahzaab 33.59

Indeed. A different link for those interested.http://quran.com/33
    O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abu Baraa

Jaafa wrote: »
    Indeed. A different link for those interested.http://quran.com/33

...and another translation on that site is the same as on the Kalamullah site ie Mushin Khans translation of the Quran which is said to be the best. However the part in the brackets is tafsir of the ayat. As for the translation you provided its not great as nowhere in the Arabic does it say "abused" for example.

But regardless, I dont really see how a site can be judged on one ayat of the Quran it has, especially given that the view that women must completely cover apart from the eyes is a widely held opinion of the Ulaama and was the opinion of many of the Sahaba - though personally I dont think it is the correct opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Abu Baraa wrote: »
    ...and another translation on that site is the same as on the Kalamullah site ie Mushin Khans translation of the Quran which is said to be the best. However the part in the brackets is tafsir of the ayat. As for the translation you provided its not great as nowhere in the Arabic does it say "abused" for example.

But regardless, I dont really see how a site can be judged on one ayat of the Quran it has, especially given that the view that women must completely cover apart from the eyes is a widely held opinion of the Ulaama and was the opinion of many of the Sahaba - though personally I dont think it is the correct opinion.

Why recommend a site and then say that it doesn't contain your ideals? Personally I'd rather not have women walking around looking like pirate bin bags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP, it sounds like you've discovered a new flavour of ice cream or something.

Why is it that Jesus being the son of god sounds 'wrong', but the Angel Gabriel bringing divine revelation to Muhammed sounds right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

OP, it sounds like you've discovered a new flavour of ice cream or something.

Why is it that Jesus being the son of god sounds 'wrong', but the Angel Gabriel bringing divine revelation to Muhammed sounds right?

TBH it basically comes down to the kind of myth people wish to define themselves by. All religions are rather far fetched, and certain stories appeal to various kinds of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abu Baraa

Siuin wrote: »
    Why recommend a site and then say that it doesn't contain your ideals?

I didnt say that, I said I disagree with one particular opinion. There are many books on that site with different opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How about you start a new thread if that is a genuine question and lets get it back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Looks like "apostasy" is back in the news. Worth bearing in mind if you ever feel like reverting back from reversion.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/iranian-pastor-may-avoid-death-2891594.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

donaghs wrote: »
    Looks like "apostasy" is back in the news. Worth bearing in mind if you ever feel like reverting back from reversion.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/iranian-pastor-may-avoid-death-2891594.html

The OP does not live in Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Yes, thankfully. And thankfully also only Pakistan and Afghanistan are the only places I can think of that recently used "apostacy" laws also. Although I wouldn't want to test the law in this area in other places like Saudi Arabia!

What's important though not the geographical area of Iran, but rather the mindset which supports the idea of "apostacy", and its pursuant punishments. And the fact that this is a common idea throughout the Islamic world, understandable from a religious point of view since there are some scriptural justification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam#Scriptural_references
    Its as much an issue about what people believe, as what the law says, as shown by the attempts on the lives of converts from Islam in a relatively secular country like Turkey.

Of course this sort of intolerance was commonplace in the Christian world in the past - e.g. the Spanish Inquisition, etc. But a clear shift in direction towards a more humane approach to religious tolerance (and not permitting intolerant religious) is visible from the time of the Enlightenment.

Advertisement