Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejuvenation plan for old gas works (Waterside)

Options
  • 24-07-2011 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I read in the Munster Express that there is a rejuvenation plan for the old gas works site (Waterside).

I think this area has huge potential. There are sometime swans going about John's River there which make it quite nice, (read the following in Cockney accent) in the fog, like a fairytale.

I wonder what will go in there. I hope it is done well, and better than Railway Square which in my view was a wasted opportunity. It is a very big site too (though I suppose there may be an issue with flooding), and road access isn't great. I think its a bit strange that developments went ahead on the outskirts of the city, when there is lots of idle land in the city centre, such as the gas works and on Patrick Street. Let hope the proposals are practical, and not outlandish like previous proposals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Never knew that was called Johns river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

seanybiker wrote: »

It got they name because you can go to the John there after a night out on the lash :D

(That or the same reason as John St, Johnstown, St. Johns Church etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

dayshah wrote: »
    I read in the Munster Express that there is a rejuvenation plan for the old gas works site (Waterside).

I think this area has huge potential. There are sometime swans going about John's River there which make it quite nice, (read the following in Cockney accent) in the fog, like a fairytale.

I wonder what will go in there. I hope it is done well, and better than Railway Square which in my view was a wasted opportunity. It is a very big site too (though I suppose there may be an issue with flooding), and road access isn't great. I think its a bit strange that developments went ahead on the outskirts of the city, when there is lots of idle land in the city centre, such as the gas works and on Patrick Street. Let hope the proposals are practical, and not outlandish like previous proposals.

gas works on patrick street?

O Riain wrote: »
    gas works on patrick street?

The gas works is opposite Waterside. On Patrick St there are empty buildings where they had plans for that big shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

A car park is going in as far as I know hardly making the most of it but sure noting suprises me in this town anymore.

yea personally I think car parks should of went up on the outskirts of the city and they should of then been phased out of the quays and such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I think its a bit strange that developments went ahead on the outskirts of the city, when there is lots of idle land in the city centre

I agree, but as far as I know in this particular case the land was contaminated and couldnt be developed.
    I wonder will they renovate the two bridges, or will access be from john street / south parade...

jayboi wrote: »
    A car park is going in as far as I know hardly making the most of it but sure noting suprises me in this town anymore.

I suppose a car park isn't too bad. It's better than what's there, and doesn't damage anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

yea personally I think car parks should of went up on the outskirts of the city and they should of then been phased out of the quays and such.

What do you suggest we put in there?

AFAIK, they had a free carpark with security guard in a site off Ballybricken a few years back. It closed down because no one was using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What do you suggest we put in there?

Id like to see the park extended in there to be honest with you. I dont see why the council see the need for another car park unless they plan on taking one out.
    Ive been told its partly to accommodate council staff with somewhere park which I hope is untrue as its a waste of money that could be spent somewhere more meaningful and an abuse of council power.

Id like to see the park extended in there to be honest with you. I dont see why the council see the need for another car park unless they plan on taking one out.
    Ive been told its partly to accommodate council staff with somewhere park which I hope is untrue as its a waste of money that could be spent somewhere more meaningful and an abuse of council power.

I agree that an extension to the park would be great, especially given all the new apartments with no gardens that have been built. And of course there are the swans :)

Also, as the area is prone to flooding, a park is a good idea as if it gets flooded its not too bad.

I'd love a park full of fruit trees, so everyone can pick them in autumn. They have them in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.Shabby

I would assume that it is still a brownfield site that would need remediation?

If thats the case, I couldn't see any public amenities going in there nor could I see anybody having the cash/getting the planning permission to build there. Car Park would probably be the most viable option but I would like to see something substantial going in there givin the size and location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

apparently the girlfriend was just saying to me that there is a car park going ahead on this site and the old foot bridges will be restored!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

seanybiker wrote: »

Otherwise known as St. John's Pill - a tributary of the Suir.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It will improve the area anyway, that's for sure and there will be a number of new pedestrian exits. From what I understand, it will be built as a car park but concert ready. The Bolton St. Car Park requires a bit of work before its ready, but this one will be more ready. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Sully wrote: »
    It will improve the area anyway, that's for sure and there will be a number of new pedestrian exits. From what I understand, it will be built as a car park but concert ready. The Bolton St. Car Park requires a bit of work before its ready, but this one will be more ready. :)
    that will be very good for the city thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I remember looking at a city development plan during the boom and I think it was one of those high opportunity sites, along with Newgate, Bilberry and the designation for the 'government quarter' in the vicinity of the Bolton st. car park, and the north quays.

The city council, to their credit, moved very quickly to adjust their plans in light of the dramatically reduced budget for the city. The viking quarter went ahead. The government quarter didn't, but instead, House of Waterford Crystal moved in and the Bolton st. car park was extended. It makes sense that a car park be built on the waterside -- for now. The thing with car parks is that they can easily be built on. As far as I know, the council still intends to revamp the quay, that means reducing lanes, adding roundabouts and remove all parking by 2014. In order to do this, they will have to put parking elsewhere, and in the short to medium term, neither Bolton st. or the waterside were going to be developed as planned. In future, multistories can be built as those sites are developed.

It's kind of amusing how many newspaper announcements that were made between 2001 and 2007 in the city. Almost none of them (Railway sq. is one of the very few exceptions) materialised. In the recession, the viking quarter, the Mall and house of Waterford Crystal have and are advancing in leaps and bounds, not to mention the flood defenses and other improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The way the price of fuel is going maybe it should be for rickshaws and bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Sully wrote: »

It will become a new longstay carpark but is being fitted and designed to hold gigs of up to 12,000 capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

build a giant statue of john mullane boiiii with some nice relaxing gardens and pools just to show that the beast of a man that is john mullane has a peaceful side aswell as the passionate side

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Justin_Brophey

Is there any online articles about this ? I cant find any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

this you looking?

Bord Gáis site to be used as car park
    Published on Friday, April 22nd, 2011 at 9:33 am

The Bord Gáis site at the Waterside which has been vacant for over 20 years, is to be used as a car park, said a relieved Cllr Davy Daniels (Independent). “I’ve been talking about this issue for years and to finally see it being put to use for the public’s benefit has got to be welcomed,” he said. A Part Eight Planning application will be put in train to permit the site’s speedy transition back into use.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/bord-gais-site-to-be-used-as-car-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

invalid wrote: »
    .... carpark but is being fitted and designed to hold gigs of up to 12,000 capacity.

If this is the case, fantastic, perfect spot for concerts, big marquees, etc. I didnt see anything like that mention in the Munster article however. A few simple things like using paint instead of kerbs and keeping flood lights to edges of area would make the area ideal, no trip hazards, nothing blocking view of potential concerts etc. I can see it now, Tall Ships 2016 concert under the marquee...U2, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Prince, O-emperor... and Jedward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Max Powers wrote: »
    If this is the case, fantastic, perfect spot for concerts, big marquees, etc. I didnt see anything like that mention in the Munster article however. A few simple things like using paint instead of kerbs and keeping flood lights to edges of area would make the area ideal, no trip hazards, nothing blocking view of potential concerts etc.

All very sensible stuff. I would suggest that you make some sort of submission on the subject, because no doubt some tosser of an architect will want to put in rockeries and shrubs all around the place to "break up the monotony" of the car park.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I can see it now, Tall Ships 2016 concert under the marquee...U2, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Prince, O-emperor... and Jedward

Don't forget Chris Doran :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Jasus wouldn't it be fantastic to see all those Car parks taken off the Quay. Imagine what could be done with all the free space all the way frm the plaza up to the bridge. lots of greenary and little tasteful cafes and craft shops all along by the river. We could be the envy of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Godsentme wrote: »
    Jasus wouldn't it be fantastic to see all those Car parks taken off the Quay. Imagine what could be done with all the free space all the way frm the plaza up to the bridge. lots of greenary and little tasteful cafes and craft shops all along by the river. We could be the envy of Ireland.
    .....or the laughing stock of Ireland. It just depends what they decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Agreed but won't the Gasworks site suffer because of existing road system in that area?

Though if they introduced a new one-way system along the waterside it would probably be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

It is only being short term leased from Bord gais and it has been totally cleaned, just for clarity, so it will be temporary works only.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

6031919944_c1357e1f26_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

fricatus wrote: »
    I would suggest that you make some sort of submission on the subject, because no doubt some tosser of an architect will want to put in rockeries and shrubs all around the place to "break up the monotony" of the car park.

Yeah, would be handy to make a submission but i dont think anything about future concerts has been put into any proposed plans, who would you send it too also. In fact, i dont think anything concrete has been confirmed that it is going ahead in the first place, hopefully it does though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ill be happy once they get the quay down to single lanes. Its like a spanner switch goes off in peoples brains when they realise theres 2 lanes

Advertisement